Diet plans, 5-9 pounds a week?

Posted by: jeckwmsan

Diet plans, 5-9 pounds a week? - 08/03/11 12:46 PM

So I was reading a magazine and it said if I followed this diet plan that I will lose 5-9 pounds a week depending on how much I exercise
Breakfast-either yogurt (lite) or two egg whites with load of Cheyenne pepper
Lunch-an orange, or other fruits, besides bananas
Snacks during the day- all veggies, or one of those small baby bell cheeses
Dinner-a salad with a slice of grilled chucked and a small side of lite zest italian dressing.
I'd be eating this and exercising 4-5 times a week
I'm currently 16, 5'4 and 153 lbs. Would following this diet plan really help me lose 5-6 lbs a week. If not how much would it? Thank you smile
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Diet plans, 5-9 pounds a week? - 08/03/11 01:14 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

On the surface, that looks like an ok diet. No processed carbs, lots of fruit and veg. The problem is that if you are eating that EVERYDAY you are going to be deficient in vitamins and minerals as you are eating the same thing all the time. You need a varied diet to get all the nutrients your body needs.

The best advice is to go speak to a nutrionist or dietican and get them to make you a diet plan.

Simply put, if you want to lose weight you need a caloric deficit. You can achieve this deficit by exercise and a proper nutrition plan. If your body needs 2000 calories a day to maintain weight, creating a deficit (say 1800 calories in a day) will mean you lose weight. You create this deficit by following a healthy nutrition plan and/or exercising.

I'm not a health or nutrition professional though and I wouldn't listen to much you read online except this: Go to a professional (such as a good personal trainer or certified dietican) to help you get in shape.
Posted by: Shusha

Re: Diet plans, 5-9 pounds a week? - 08/03/11 03:55 PM

Losing 5-9lbs a week on a diet is unrealistic. There is no quick fix. This diet looks way, way, way too low on calories! I did a quick calculation and this diet works out to ~650 calories a day the way you presented it. Yikes! That is dangerously low and ultimately counter-productive to your metabolism. Especially for a 16 year old. I would not recommend this diet at all.

I can't give you any specific advice on the internet because there is too much about you I don't know and can't know on a forum like this. (I am a personal trainer).

But in general:

Get lots of exercise, especially strength training exercises that build muscle. (As long as this is okay with your family doctor.)

Get plenty of sleep.

Your diet should consist of fruits and vegetables, good-quality proteins, some whole grains and if you like them, some dairy products and some nuts. Everything should come from the outside aisles of the grocery store and be recognizable to your great-great grandmother. Don't eat things that come in boxes or packages. Stay away from sugar, processed white flour, salty snacks except nuts. When I say stay away from, I mean NEVER. Its pretty simple.

Take your time! Don't worry about losing weight (there are no quick fixes). Concentrate instead on building a healthy lifestyle. How long did it take to gain the weight? When was the last time you were at a healthy-for-your-age weight? 5 years ago? Give yourself that many years to get your metabolism back on track and have a healthy weight again.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: Diet plans, 5-9 pounds a week? - 08/03/11 06:07 PM

I agree with shusha that it's not enough calories, especially if you'll be exercising that much. You'll find that you'll feel weak and have a hard time concentrating.
Eating something small every 2.5 to 3 hours is a good way to keep your metabolism running well and ensures that the food is put to good use rather than going to your waistline.