cycling weight loss

Posted by: choonbee

cycling weight loss - 04/21/11 05:06 PM

Since the first of the year, I've lost around 30lbs. through diet and plenty of exercise. Great.
The way it's been going is I'll lose a couple of pounds or so every week for a few weeks, then my weight stays the same for around 8-10 days, then I drop more, then it stays the same, ect...
Is that a normal cycle for losing weight?
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: cycling weight loss - 04/21/11 07:47 PM

I think that this cycle of weight loss is quite normal. I think that as our bodies fight against the changes there is what my friend calls baseline. What I mean is we reset the tipping line of gaining weight and lossing weight. Our metabolism adjusts to this fat burning exercise and then says now it will take this new amount of burned calories to lose more weight. It's also about cortisol in our bodies and how that keeps us from losing more weight. That I can't explain at all. Maybe somone can explain that to me. I haven't a clue on that.
Anyway, great job choonbee.

Mark

Re: cycling weight loss - 04/22/11 08:58 AM

Thanks Mark.
I had heard that the body tries to hold onto fat stores, and those plateaus were a defense mechanism against losing more fat.
I also heard that having a "cheat day", ie: going off of your diet for a day, then going back on it is a way to reset the weight loss process.
I haven't done that yet because I really don't miss the sugar and other garbage food that I used to eat.

Re: cycling weight loss - 06/12/11 08:07 PM

Well...now my weight loss is to the point where people are noticing it.
I'm at 182lbs. now, down from 230lbs at the first of the year, and I can still lift the same amount of weight now that I could then.
I'm just about where I want to be, and have only a little more fat to trim off.
Now I have to buy some new clothes because my old ones are way too big.

Re: cycling weight loss - 06/13/11 11:33 AM

That's great Choonbee!! It's great to see real progress. I remember when I got back into Training over three years ago I needed to lose some weight. It's so easy to let things get out of hand. T.V. and pizza are a bad way to spend your evenings.
I couldn't believe how out of shape I had gotten. It was pathetic. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Right off the bat we all started doing elevated pushups and all sorts of evil core exercises. I thought that I was gonna expire right there in my first class.
The thought came to me that this tight little group didn't like me and was trying to (A.) run my old butt off. (B.) See how red they could make the old guy's face turn.or (C.)Show the new guy how tough they were.
When I came back I figured out that it was none of the above. They worked that hard all the time and I had found some new friends to hang with.

keep training, mark

Re: cycling weight loss - 06/14/11 08:37 PM

That's cool, Mark.
The younger students at my school ignored me at first, and the older ones and the instructors kept an eye on me in case I had a heart attack.
Now the younger students think I'm a little crazy for training 3 nights a week and a saturday morning, and the older ones and the instructors seem to have respect for me because of it.
They're all pretty cool people, and I enjoy the time that I spend there.

Re: cycling weight loss - 06/14/11 09:30 PM

My class is down to the old diehards right now. It's funny that only one person under thirty is training at this time. Thats how it goes.Our ages are 51,49,44,38,20 and our sensei who is 35.
The 44 year old started taking class at 320 lbs. He's down to about 245 now.Were all real proud of him.
This is a college town(Columbia Missouri) so in the summer we lose some of our classmates.Be that as it may I told my sensei that it might be time to look for white belts around town. Don't get me wrong we all get along but were always looking for new people. It's kind of funny, the twenty year old in our class said his girl-friend, a shodan wasn't coming back to class until we had some younger people in the class. As she put it, "there's too many old men in this class and no women." Ha!Ha!I don't blame her.I do miss her though. She was terrific at teaching Kata.

Mark
Posted by: jerryshudson

Re: cycling weight loss - 08/24/11 01:48 PM

Cycling is really one of the best cardio exercise and is very effective in losing weight.Going for cycling regularly for 5-6 km helps a lot in burning the fat from the body and helps in losing weight.It also helps in building bones and muscle strong.