Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment

Posted by: ilhe4e12345

Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/10/10 01:26 PM

Hello everyone, i am in need of some assistance. I really want to lose weight. I have been training in Kung Fu for the past year, switching from Pai Lum Tao to 7 Star Praying Mantis/Xingyiquan. Since January 2010 i have lost 35 pounds taking up kung fu, changing my diet and just taking better care of myself. Im looking for better flexibility as well. I seemed to have stopped loseing weight with the same routines that i have been doing. I am 6'3", i was 300 pounds im now down to 265-270. i havent been able to get on a scale in a few weeks.

My question is, what do you recommend? Are there any suppliments or fat burning stuff you would recommend? Does Green Tea Extract work? Do any of you have any good recomendations for me? I work a typical office job, so i dont get to move around too much. Any workout routines you might suggest?

I have recently come off a pretty serious lower back injury. I got the ok from my doctor to start working out again, he said that the kung fu i have been doing has really helped keep my body in good shape. Im specifically trying to lsoe my stomach and chest fat. My arms and elgs are really toned out, i get compliments all the time on my legs whenever i wear shorts smile but i really want to look better. Any advice would be great appreciated or maybe some suggestions. if you suggest anything like a suppliment, which ones would be helpful and useful.

Thanks in advacned for checking out my post and any info i will take into consideration.
Posted by: TaekwonDoFan

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/12/10 11:59 AM

I'm not an expert, but recent findings show that exercise can make you gain weight, because you get hungry and eat more - and, if you eat high-calorie foods after an exercise, you can actually gain weight.

Furthermore, those studies also show that there is no difference between intensive exercise and non-intensive exercise. People who exercise intensively would become couch potatoes the rest of the time, while people who don't exercise intensively would not be couch potatoes as often.

Last, but perhaps not least, people who diet excessively and cut out all their favorite foods - ice cream, milk shake, and so on - will break down and binge, so they will lose any benefits of excessive dieting. So they should instead take their favorite desserts in moderation, so as to avoid bingeing later on.

I guess the overall theme is to do everything in moderation, which is a good recommendation.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/13/10 03:44 AM

Good grief, dont got to mainstream media for your fitness advice kids crazy

The thing is that you have already lost 35lbs - well done on that; but you will find that the body doesn't actually like losing large amounts of fat - to you it is unsightly and unhealthy 'baggage', but to the body, it is vital survival tissue for times of famine.

If you live in such a way as to rely on stored body fat for a long period of time, the body begins to trigger metabolic changes to preserve remaining fat stores. The metabolism slows, and the body will even breakdown non essential muscle tissue to make up the deficit in energy in preference to continuing relying on 'last resort' bodyfat.

Anyone who has lost large amounts of weight (60lbs + ) will tell you of 'sticking points' or plateaus, where the fat would not shift, and you may have hit one of these, although its also worth noting that you have been injured, and a back injury will have prevented you from being as active as you have been, so again, this will cause a slowdown in metabolism and a reduction in energy requirements. It may be that getting back in the swing of training and living injury free will be enough to trigger further fat loss.

That being said, Kung Fu on its own will only work so much and take you so far. Have you been using a gym? if so what have you been doing, and how often?
With your eating plan, again, what have you been doing? detail your existing food and training (including frequency and duration of kung fu), and i will happily take a look at it for you smile
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/14/10 07:47 AM

If you have lower back issues, this is what Pilates was designed for. No longer do you have to go to a studio to learn it. There are beginner DVDs for the mat exercises available at Wal Mart or Target, and many gyms now offer it.

Kathryn
Posted by: Ives

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/20/10 10:45 AM

Some really basic advices. Walk for 30-40 minutes a day. Walking for long periodes burns fat best.
In winter try to keep the radiator at slightly lower level than you are used to. Remaining your core temperature burns calories. Some really basic things.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 12/24/10 01:21 PM

A lot of factors involved. Back injury. Kung-Fu. How are you eating and are you eating good foods? What type of exercising do you do? Age; how old are you? Genes; hereditary factors; are others in your family large? Intensity. Commitment.

Congrats on losing 35 lbs; give yourself a pat on the back. That is something to be proud of. You're active, also pat yourself on the back. Remember, it took a lot of years to gain all of that unnecessary weight, it will take years to take it off. It is a process and it can be slow at times and you will hit a lot of plateaus. Somethings you will find are out of your control and you will have to accept that; we all unfortunately have to. And as we get older those things become that much harder; trust me. But don't stop, take each day at a time, little goals that will add up to bigger goals. It seems you are on track already; keep it up.
Posted by: suman12

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 01/23/11 02:14 AM

Thank you so much for this information.I am also facing this problem.This is the most common problem in today.But there are many treatments that helps to lose fat.

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 01/25/11 06:23 AM

well done on loosing the poundage, to loose the rest try Xenical, I'm on it and lost 9kg in 2 weeks already. Watch out for the side effects though, you NEED to stay away from Fatty food

Good luck on your weight loss
Posted by: Dwip

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 04/04/11 02:11 AM

Long duration low intensity exercise is what you want for fatburn. then some kind of resistance training every now and then helps because your muscles will use fat to rebuild and replenish themselves. This is assuming you want to lose only fat weight and not muscle weight as well. And then again a lot of it depends on your diet, all the exercise in the world aint worth crap if dient isn't good.

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 04/13/11 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Dwip
Long duration low intensity exercise is what you want for fatburn. then some kind of resistance training every now and then helps because your muscles will use fat to rebuild and replenish themselves. This is assuming you want to lose only fat weight and not muscle weight as well. And then again a lot of it depends on your diet, all the exercise in the world aint worth crap if dient isn't good.

Not true. HIIT has proven to be vastly superior in shifting bodyfat to steady state cardio. The old idea of 60-75% MHR for fat burning is simply no longer a valid or defendable theory.

Also, muscles in NO WAY can use stored adipose tissue to rebuild themselves. Bodyfat contains NO amino acids. It breaks down into blood sugar, so is stored energy only, so cannot, in any way anabolise muscle tissue.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 04/14/11 03:54 AM

I think a combination is the ideal way. Yes HIIT is more effective techniqcally but long duration low intensity exercise is an easy, low impact way to keep from being lazy for days after a grueling workout with intervals (active recovery really).

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 04/14/11 07:08 AM

But HIIT is not automaticaly high impact. Why not use breathing squats? swimming? cycling?, barbell complexes?

Also, the volume involved in HIIT should mean a quick turnaround on recovery times.

If your joints are sore from a sprint drill session, then rest! Phase it so that your upperbody lifts follow over the next 48 hours, or work on your mobility/core stability instead - dont go jogging and doing empty cardio that will only serve to hamper your adaption to the HIIT
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 04/14/11 01:43 PM

Good point Cord.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: Looking to Lose 30-45 Pounds Need Advice/Regiment - 05/01/11 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Cord
Not true. HIIT has proven to be vastly superior in shifting bodyfat to steady state cardio. The old idea of 60-75% MHR for fat burning is simply no longer a valid or defendable theory

I have to agree with you.
I've been doing HIIT for a short while now, (about 3 months) actually for the first time in my life, and the fat is literally dropping off faster than I could have ever thought possible. I went from 230lbs. at the 1st of the year down to 192lbs. as of this morning.
I'm at the point now where people are noticing the weight loss, and asking me what I've been doing to lose it.
One thing that I've been doing lately is incorporating a sort of HIIT in with my forms practice. I'll do a form, then 20 pushups, then another form, then 20 crunches, form, pushups, ect...
Also, I'll do a giant set of 30 jumping jacks, 30 pushups, 30sec of running in place with knees high, and 30 crunches, then repeat it twice more for 3 giant sets with 20 seconds rest between each set.
I'm sweating bullets after that.