Achilles tendonitis

Posted by: Dobbersky

Achilles tendonitis - 11/30/10 08:39 AM

Achilles tendonitis.

This form of tendonitis affects the Achilles tendon, the large rope like tendon attached to the heel bone at the back of the foot. Achilles tendonitis usually is caused by overuse, especially in sports that require running or repeated jumping, and it accounts for 15% of all running injuries. Achilles tendonitis also may be related to faulty running technique or to poorly fitting shoes, if the back of the shoe digs into the Achilles tendon above the heel. Less often, Achilles tendonitis is related to an inflammatory illness, such as ankylosing spondylitis, Reiter's syndrome, gout or rheumatoid arthritis.

Symptoms
In general, tendonitis causes pain in the tissues surrounding a joint, especially after the joint is used too much during play or work. In some cases, the joint also may be weak, and the area may be red, swollen and warm to the touch.

Other symptoms vary according to which tendon is affected:

Achilles tendonitis Pain at the back of the heel or 2 to 4 inches above the heel

When I look at the treatments they include pads for Shoes but what about when barefooted. Any recommendations? I thought about purchasing some extra large Elastoplast to cover the heel etc.
Posted by: Lei

Re: Achilles tendonitis - 11/30/10 11:31 AM

TCM food therapy - eat broccoli, it helps support the tendons. At least 1/2 cup a day.

Ran Lei
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Achilles tendonitis - 12/01/10 09:41 PM

Broccoli's not bad for you, but I would recommend a doctor.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Achilles tendonitis - 12/02/10 11:42 PM

I have this problem and have even torn one of mine as well.

Treatment is rest, ICE and stretching. The best 2 I do is on a stair (or raised platform) and lower your heel using your body weight to slowly give it a deep stretch.

Next one works best with gym shoes. Put the ball of your foot on the wall, heel on the floor and bend you knee pushing your hips into the stretch.

I recommend Tumeric, I take it everyday and it has worked really well and you can get off the Advil once it builds up in your system.

Doctor is a good idea but if you have it, they will likely tell you something pretty close to what I just did.

Avoid running or any sport with hard stops like basketball or tennis, at least until the pain is under control...it will just aggravate the injury and it will never get better.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: Achilles tendonitis - 12/07/10 02:36 AM

Consult a physiotherapist or podiatrist. Although treatment would probably be what Kimo2007 had mentioned. Rest, apply ice after activity and stretching. Wearing orthotics will greatly reduce the strain and give the tendons a chance to heal. It will also prevent the situation to worsen.
Posted by: Physio

Re: Achilles tendonitis - 12/08/10 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
I have this problem and have even torn one of mine as well.

Treatment is rest, ICE and stretching. The best 2 I do is on a stair (or raised platform) and lower your heel using your body weight to slowly give it a deep stretch.

Next one works best with gym shoes. Put the ball of your foot on the wall, heel on the floor and bend you knee pushing your hips into the stretch.

I recommend Tumeric, I take it everyday and it has worked really well and you can get off the Advil once it builds up in your system.

Doctor is a good idea but if you have it, they will likely tell you something pretty close to what I just did.

Avoid running or any sport with hard stops like basketball or tennis, at least until the pain is under control...it will just aggravate the injury and it will never get better.

This is the right procedure to treat Achilles tendinitis,
In Short you can remember PRICE!
PRICE stands for
P= Protect
R= Rest
I= Ice
C= Crape bandage
E= Elevate

These majors can be done at home also. Visiting physiotherapist is good as he can stretch the corresponding muscle groups which may not be stretched properly by self-stretches. he may give Ultra-sound therapy locally to boost the healing!

Warming up before doing any exercises or workouts is advisable to avoid any injuries!