Foot hurts after/during skipping

Posted by: MiSt

Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 04:33 PM

Started skipping again and after a few weeks my left foot began to hurt where the picture shows, its more of an ache than a pain, but I gave it a few days rest anyway and its not gone away; although it does feel slightly better (I think, hard to say tho as it is quite mild).

Any help much appreciated!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 06:20 PM

It might be a stress-fracture. I am going through the same thing now myself, for about the past 5 weeks or so. Can't jog or jump-rope without pain afterwards.

We both need to stay off the impact stuff for about 2 weeks or so, but if you're like me........
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 06:25 PM

Sorry, but it has to be done.

Patient: "It hurts my foot here when I skip." (am giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is jumping rope and not the frivolous activity little girls take part in)

Doctor: "Quit skipping damnit."

*have to amuse myself somehow

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 06:46 PM

Yeah, sigh if only I could just use more Judo to build my stamina for....judo. LoL
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 08:22 PM

Hi,

I AM NO MD...but a picture is worth...well words.

Toenails need better care, toes look clubbed and discolored...are you diabetic or at risk for diabetes? Swelling could also be result exudate under skin from minor stress fracture.

Do you have good arches or are they fallen ( step in puddle and walk normally, good arches wont show but pinky toe edge of foot.) the arch in foot is supported by 3 crossing muscles, easy to damage.

UUUHHHH...SEE AN MD OR DO (Not a f'in chiropractor, I can read and X-Ray better than they) and get a foot Radiograph (X_Ray), if Fx then problem solved, Family Practitioner if explained properly, will order X-Ray, Ins should cover.

dont mean to worry but spider veins and dorsal hair thinning w/ toe clubbing and discoloration has a fair differential diagnosis...Thus I SUGGEST (i.e. MEAN) you see your Family Practitioner, meanwhile

RICE-Rest, Ice, compression and elevation. on the assumption it is a small stress FX...
P.S. Radiographs are not perfect...MD may want a follow-up Radionuclide Bone Scan which is more sensitive for small Fx (that was what I used to do for a living).

NOT MEDICAL ADVISE JUST SUGGESTIONS FROM A JOE BLOW LIKE ME...

-Karl. Peace.

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/21/09 11:00 PM

Its not my foot..

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/22/09 02:23 AM

Hi,

Then why the pic of the foot? Why "foot hurts"? from tarsal tibial interface to toes is the foot. do you mean the tarsal or metatarsals of the foot (ball of foot)?

-Karl. Peace.
Posted by: Aesir

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/22/09 04:55 AM

It's just to show where the pain is...

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/23/09 07:37 PM

Hi,

The whole foot is an entity, one part may hurt if another is damaged...while not the rule for most extremities it is still a possibility.

As a rule organs DO have this thing called 'referred pain' where the sick or damaged organ relays it's pain to another area.

Not a cut and dried rule for extremities but I understand what the line you drew meant, I was simply pointing out that some pain in an area does not always mean that is where the problem is...

with the foot, strained muscular arch or inflammation of the plantar muscles may refer to the are in question...thats all I was trying to point to, and a good ol fashioned MD eval. and RICE rest ice compression and elevation along with a moderate amount of NSAIDS (Alleve,naproxin, etc...not Ibuprofin as it not an anti-inflammatory, with either alcohol to a minimum).

-Karl. Peace. More sense maybe???
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Foot hurts after/during skipping - 04/23/09 08:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sigh if only I could just use more Judo to build my stamina for....judo. LoL

Actually... you absolutely can and should. Grappling requires you to increase anaerobic stamina not neccessarily aerobic/cardio stamina. It's building the ability to maintain constant pressure for long, intense periods and not the short little jumping motions that build your cardio up. Look it up. Aside from maybe wind sprints, you may be using a tool that's not really the best for building the exact stamina you need for the activity you're training for.

Just my 2¢, but try things like wrapping up a heavy bag on the floor with your arms and legs, kinda like a RNC, and holding that for as long as you can stand it. Isometric resistance like this coulpled with windsprints and other exercises like that for explosiveness might yeild you more gains in less time.

Again, just my 2¢. Take it or leave it.