A staved finger

Posted by: Zyx667

A staved finger - 01/29/09 05:23 PM

I got kicked on the end of my fingers last karate class and I staved my middle finger, so it is all swollen now. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on caring for it (mainly so there isn't any lasting damage, as this is the second time it has happened to me with the same finger).

Cheers.
Posted by: Ames

Re: A staved finger - 01/29/09 05:58 PM

Can you bend it? If you can't go see a doctor. Is it a different color? If so, go see a doctor.

If you think that it isn't that bad, then rest it, ice it, and take something like aspirin for inflammation.

--Chris
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A staved finger - 01/29/09 09:41 PM

I had my middle finger hit by a soccer(football) ball when I was in goal and it felt like a bad jam. Finger was very swollen and painful, barely able to bend it. After two months of complaining my girlfriend made me go to the doctor (actually she told my mom and my mom made me go). After some x-rays it was determined that I tore the lateral ligaments in the second joint and it is un-fixable. It is still swollen to this day (that was 8 years ago) and I can be painful sometimes. I do have full ROM but doc says I got lucky.

I would say more but I don't want to diagnose/treat you and have your finger any more screwed up than it is.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: A staved finger - 01/30/09 02:08 AM

Not much can be done for fingers; or toes for that matter. In August my buddy and I went out for his 40th and got drunk and were wrestling in the back of the cab and he got a hold of my right index finger and snapped it sideways; breaking the knuckle. That sucker swelled up and I did nothing initially about it but complain. I finally went to the doctor and not much could be done. It is now the end of January and still hurts and still big; and cannot bend it fully. Don't suppose it will ever be the same.

See a doctor and perhaps something can be done; splint it at the least. Take it easy and if young you should bounce back in time.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A staved finger - 01/30/09 10:16 PM

One thing on splinting. It can eliminate your ROM during the healing process. Your DOCTOR can give you something to help the healing process without completely inhibiting your ROM. But that is only after your ailment has been diagnosed.