Calcium buildup in the ankle!

Posted by: Uchinanchu

Calcium buildup in the ankle! - 11/10/08 02:00 AM

Now, I know I'm no longer a spring chicken, but even the doctor said that I was the youngest person he's had come in with such a severe case as mine.
Periodically, my left ankle will get inflamed and be so painful that I can barely stand up. He x-rayed it and showed me what appeared to be a very large dome-like shape built up on top of the ankle bone! "Extreme Calcification" was the phrase he used. He gave me a shot to take down the swelling and pain, but told me that the only way to deal with it, was to eventually have it surgically cut out.
My question is if anyone here has ever had to deal with the same problem, and if so, how has it affected you (ie. any drawbacks to the surgery). Iv'e already had knee surgery for a blown ACL, and would prefer to avoid any more doctors cutting on me like a Thanks Giving turkey!
Any feed back is appreciated.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Calcium buildup in the ankle! - 11/10/08 07:40 AM

Is that the same as 'gout'?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090
http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gout/gout_ff.asp
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Calcium buildup in the ankle! - 11/10/08 12:32 PM

Harlan,

I don't think it is the same. And I do suffer from gout, very painful. Gout forms on the joints and is uric acid, which I don't think is the same as calcium. And i don't believe you can relieve gout with surgery. Ya more or less have to deal with it. Some contributors are being overweight, eat alot of fish (high protein foodds) and drink a lot.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Calcium buildup in the ankle! - 11/11/08 02:44 AM

This is the kind of thing a Naturopathic docter might be able to help you with, in conjuction with your medical docter. At the very least, you might get to root of why you developed this problem to begin with and prevent it from recuring.
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: Calcium buildup in the ankle! - 11/12/08 04:10 AM

I appreciate the input, gentlemen. I much prefer the idea of curing the problem naturaly, as apposed to the intrusive method of being cut on.

I know my problem is not gout, because I've had that problem too (the Okinawan diet is not as healthy as it used to be...way too much luncheon meats).

The most likely culprit is a past injury that I never bothered to have looked at... I'm stupid in that respect. I hate hospitals (full of sick people, don't you know!) and prefer to avoid them at all costs (usually the cost is my own health).
Again, I appreciate the input. Take care and keep training.