need some nutrition help here

Posted by: Ilove2Hit

need some nutrition help here - 10/02/08 06:52 AM

hi there,

i want to drop my bodyfat and increase gain some muscles.

i dont left anymore. only thing that i do is kick boxing 4-5 times a week for 3 hours.

we do use some light weights there for exercise and we go a lot of fitness, stimulating the whole body.

would it be usefull to dring a protein shake after the 3 hours?

also. a friend of mine told me it would help not to eat anything after 8pm. is that true? (to lower bodyfat mainly)

i am about 185 cm and 77 kg. (but got some fat lately because i had no time to work out anymore... damn job)

so iŽd be glad if some1 could give me some advice here.

thank you a lot!

regards,

Ilove2Hit
Posted by: Ayub

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/02/08 02:39 PM

Quote:

i dont left anymore. only thing that i do is kick boxing 4-5 times a week for 3 hours.

If youre exerting so much, I assume the kickboxing sessions are heavy, then you should be eating a lot of healthy foods. Generally speaking, try and keep away from oily/fatty and sweet foods and try and maximise your intake of protein rich foods and sensible carbs.

Quote:

we do use some light weights there for exercise and we go a lot of fitness, stimulating the whole body.

This is probably more cardio and endurance exercises. I would not expect to gain a lot of muscle or strength from these exercises. Youre not likely to gain much muscle or strength without lifting weights. However working the heavy bag a lot will increase your power a lot, and proper technique will be great for boosting the power of your punches.

Quote:

would it be usefull to dring a protein shake after the 3 hours?
also. a friend of mine told me it would help not to eat anything after 8pm. is that true? (to lower bodyfat mainly)

Protein shakes would be fantastic. Things you eat after 8pm is more likely to be stored as youre probably relatively inactive after that time, but if youre training so much you are more likely to lose strength if you do not refuel body after training. I would have a sensible high protein meal.
Quote:

i am about 185 cm and 77 kg. (but got some fat lately because i had no time to work out anymore... damn job)

A bit of fat never hurt anyone!!! Unless youre talking about pleasing the ladies. Just try and better your lifestyle rather than try and diet (thats for women!!).

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/02/08 06:51 PM

oh. thank you that really helped me out.

yes i know. my training sessions go from 6.30 - 9.30.

so i think a shake would be very good.. *think*

generalily ieat very healthy. i almost only eat organic food and cook for myself.

no i have no problem with fat in general. neither my girlfriend

but i just wanna lose this belly again.

i will anyway. no matter what i eat lately, i continuously lose weight. i guess i burn so much at kick boxing that my intake is lower that the calories i burn. so i have no problem with that.

thank you very very much! u helped me a lot!

i think i should also have some small meal after my workout or just a protein shake? and how many grams of protein should it contain? u have any experience or idea with that?

regards,

Ilove2Hit

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/03/08 04:13 AM

Quote:

thank you very very much! u helped me a lot!

No problem!

Quote:

i think i should also have some small meal after my workout or just a protein shake? and how many grams of protein should it contain? u have any experience or idea with that?

If you havent eaten anything since the afternoon then I would suggest having a small meal. Try havin a small meal a few hours before going to KB too. If you eat properly before and dont want to eat another meal, a protein shake would be fine. As long as you take some protein after your big training sessions you should be good.

The maximum protein your body can process in a day is about twice the grams of your lean body weight. So if you weigh 77Kg, thats about 150g of protein you can have in a day. Aiming towards that much in a day would be much more than enough IMO. Protein shakes can have between 25g and 60g of protein from my experience. Check the nutritional information on your protein drink and make an educated decision into how much protein you need to be taking.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/03/08 04:50 AM

thanks again

u helped me a lot!!
Posted by: JoelM

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/03/08 08:52 AM

I believe Cord says that the body can only process about 35-40 grams of protein at a time, so any in excess of that you're basically not getting any good from.
Posted by: Cord

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/03/08 03:10 PM

As a rule of thumb, thats about right

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/03/08 05:17 PM

Quote:

I believe Cord says that the body can only process about 35-40 grams of protein at a time, so any in excess of that you're basically not getting any good from.

Really? I dont take in excess of that but I have seen people doing so.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/04/08 12:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really? I dont take in excess of that but I have seen people doing so.

You are capable of ingesting and digesting much more than that, but you cannot utilise the excess, and you will pass it as waste.

You can pour 2 litres of water into a 1 litre bucket, but half of it will be lost as overflow down the drain.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/04/08 05:10 PM

So the problem lies in your muscles being unable to use the excess?

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/05/08 03:43 AM

precisely. The body is only capable of so much repair and protein synthesis at any one time. If you are a brick layer capable of building a 200 brick wall in a day's work, what point is there in your boss giving you 400 bricks? There is only so much raw material that is of use to you, so why clutter the place up with excess?

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/05/08 10:04 AM

probably...

that the excess is then also used as fat right?

not all of it is wasted.

what does actually happen if u stop taking protein shaked?

e.g. i take one after every practise. what if i stop taking them?

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/05/08 03:30 PM

Quote:

that the excess is then also used as fat right?

Protein has 4 calories per gramm, providing the excess energy from the protein does not exceed your daily energy requirements, you will not store it as fat.

Quote:

what does actually happen if u stop taking protein shaked?

e.g. i take one after every practise. what if i stop taking them?

protein shakes are not medicine, nor are they 'magic potions'.

Proteins are nutrients that the body gets from food. All a protein shake does is give you those nutrients in liquid form.
Milk is a naturaly occuring high protein liquid- what happens if you stop or start drinking a glass of milk every evening?
Exactly- you will not see any dramatic difference.

If you are doing 2-3 hours of kickboxing a night, I would be ore inclined to have a mix of nutrients after your workout. Wholewheat toast with scrambled egg, along with a nice big glass of juice or water would replenish blood sugar, give you protein to aid recovery, and re-hydrate you.

Shake mixes are just convenient take anywhere nutrient rich snacks. They are a product of our convenience culture, not a superior substance to real food.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/06/08 07:56 AM

i see...

no magic potions huh...? ;_;

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/06/08 03:17 PM

Nope, protein shakes are just expensive drinks with high protein content that is quite easy to digest. Nothing more, nothing less. Useful? Definately. Critically imporant? Not at all.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/10/08 09:14 AM

i know. i actually decided on not taking protein shakes for now. i wanna just eat healthy and good and see how far i get. mby if i see i need smthg more i will take them.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/14/08 01:19 PM

That sounds like a perfect plan.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/14/08 02:03 PM

is it dangerous to stop taking protein?

if (for example) u took 30gr per day?

is it dangerous to just stop taking it?

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/14/08 03:38 PM

Quote:

is it dangerous to stop taking protein?

if (for example) u took 30gr per day?

is it dangerous to just stop taking it?

I thought we had covered this? Protein is not a drug or a medicine- providing your have a balanced diet that includes lean meats, pulses and lowe fat dairy, then you will not be protein deficient. A protein supplement is just that, its a little extra nutrient rich snack, but doing without it wont effect your health in the slightest.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/14/08 05:18 PM

you dont actually need as much protein as you would think to have a healthy diet, bodybuilders just go crazy with the stuff
Posted by: Aesir

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/15/08 06:31 AM

I liek to havea protein shake as soon as I wake up so I am not running on empty when I do my workout thirty mins later. Its easier for me to digest and If I were to eat my breakfast and then workout I would feel bloated and sluggish.

They are convieniant sources of nutrition but offer no benefit over real food.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/15/08 08:48 AM

Just to completely derail the topic on hand, what would happen if you stopped eating protein? How long would it take to kill you?
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/15/08 10:42 AM

4 years 3 months and 7 days. then death.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/15/08 12:30 PM

Quote:

Just to completely derail the topic on hand, what would happen if you stopped eating protein? How long would it take to kill you?

If you became deficient in protein ove a prolonged period, your body would catabolise existing muscle tissue- skeletal at first, but, in extremis, also the cardiac muscle. The act of catabolism causes increased toxins, thus putting the liver and kidneys under greater strain.
Proteins are also invved in the production of certain hormones, and so your hormone levels would get shot to hell.

It would be a protracted, unpleasant deterioration of health, leading inevitably to life support shut down.

Check out pictures of famine victims, holocaust victims, and long term anorexics. They show what prolonged nutrient deficiency does to the body.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/16/08 07:00 AM

yes i know that it wont harm u taking it.

but what about if u stop to take it? can that be harmful in any way?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/16/08 09:42 AM

I thought cord answered the question on if ya stop takling protien. But I think that would be very hard unless you delivberately tried. Protein in in a lot of foods/drinks.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 10/16/08 09:58 AM

hhmm.. i mean it in another way.. jsut if u take the protein as the "little bit more" and you take this on a daily base. and then stop taking it and mby, just maybe, try to eat more food in order to still get the same amounts of protein throught your daily food. could there be a problem? maybe that the body reacts in some weird way since he does not get the 1 scoop of Optimum 100% whey protein with the double chocolate flavour per day? and now gets more regular food?
Posted by: Rachelbuz

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 12:27 AM

Quote:

We strongly believe it is necessary for your overall health to supplement your diet with vitamins and minerals.

Read all about the minerals and antioxidants. Find out what they are about and what they can do for you.Each particular vitamin and mineral plays a different role in your body.

Thanks..
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 06:58 AM

For what it's worth, I personally find protein shakes quite hard to digest -- bloating, stomach pain, etc. I don't think that's that rare. So, for me personally, they aren't a particularly convenient source of protein.

I'm still looking for a cheap source that I can carry about with me [I don't eat anything near the 1 gramme of protein per kg guide line number, quite a lot of the time].

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 07:09 AM

Quote:

For what it's worth, I personally find protein shakes quite hard to digest -- bloating, stomach pain, etc. I don't think that's that rare. So, for me personally, they aren't a particularly convenient source of protein.

This is common with whey protein mixes. If you are ok with dairy, the best way around this is to mix 1 scoop of whey mix, with 500ml of low-fat milk, instead of 2 scoops of mix with water.

This a) makes your protein intake cheaper (your mix lasts twice as long), b) makes it taste a hell of a lot better, and c)by having half the nutrients comprised of the milk, it negates the bloating and discomfort of a pure whey shake.

Quote:

I'm still looking for a cheap source that I can carry about with me [I don't eat anything near the 1 gramme of protein per kg guide line number, quite a lot of the time].

They now do 'mess free' tinned tuna, which does not need draining, and comes in a ring-pull can. 40g of protein per tin, just add fork and eat
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 07:29 AM

I'll try the milk trick. That's a nice tip [I have a huge bucket sized carton of whey protein that I could use up].

Mess-free tuna also sounds good. Tuna is also tasty.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 08:16 AM

Quote:

Tuna is also tasty.

I eat so much tuna, that to me, a dolphin will be more dangerous than a shark, as they sense I am a threat to their food source

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/26/09 09:01 PM

Tuna with chipotle sauce. Yummy.

I don't think I've actually had my whey with water. It's always with milk or fruit/juices. With water just sounds gross.

Re: need some nutrition help here - 03/29/09 05:09 AM

as long as u add the fork, Cord, ur not dangerous to delphines..

lol