Overtraining 2

Posted by: menina

Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 09:51 AM

I read a thread about overtraining which impressed me enough to be worry about overtraining. Since the trhead was locked, I move here to ask, which are the symptoms of overtraining? And if we are really overtraining how can we recognise it?

As well people were saying that your body will pay you back for the stress you are currently causing to it, so in which way you suffer your body's revenge?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 10:02 AM

Muscle, tendon and ligament damage are likey effects of overtraining. Very painful, and they take forever to heal - if they ever do.

More subtle signs of overtraining can show up as lethargy, and lack of enthusiasm for training. Overtraining can be very difficult to recognize, especially when you are younger. That's why it pays to be more careful so you DON'T pay as you get older.

PS - happy birthday!
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 10:14 AM

worst part about it is decreased immunity to stuff like colds and flus.

I HATE colds and flus.

Posted by: Cord

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 11:24 AM

Overtraining: Signs and symptoms.

1. Fatigue
2. Tendon irritation/joint soreness
3. Increased resting heart rate/body temp
4. Restless sleep/insomnia
5. Drop in athletic performance
6. Loss of libido
7. increased instance of colds/'24 hr' virus's

These are the main ones. Trick is to ensure you get at least 48 hours (2 full days) complete rest in your week, and ensure that all your training is focussd and you have a peformance related plan- not just slogging away thinking 'more is better' without really knowing how or why training works.
Posted by: menina

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 12:03 PM

Ufff... I think I am safe for now. Apart from feeling tired all day long, I do not have any side effects (do not catch colds, no tendon injuries, I easily fall asleep...etc), but I'll keep watching myself. Thank you!

Thank you Matt for the happy birthday!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/03/08 12:10 PM

Quote:

Ufff... I think I am safe for now. Apart from feeling tired all day long, I do not have any side effects (do not catch colds, no tendon injuries, I easily fall asleep...etc), but I'll keep watching myself. Thank you!

Any ONE of the above symptoms can be a sign of overtraining- you dont have to display them all for it to be a problem, nor should you run yourself down to the point where you do display multiple symptoms.

Posted by: Dereck

Re: Overtraining 2 - 06/04/08 01:54 PM

• Decreased muscle size and strength
• Longer-than-average recovery time after a workout
• Elevated waking pulse rate
• Elevated morning blood pressure
• Increased joint and muscle aches
• Headaches
• Hand tremors
• Tiredness
• Listlessness
• Insomnia
• Loss or decrease in appetite
• Injury
• Illness
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Overtraining 2 - 07/30/08 08:32 AM

Now I'm a little worried. Need to start watching myself. Thanks for the info everyone!