Situps and lower back pain.

Posted by: Spade

Situps and lower back pain. - 05/18/08 09:57 PM

Hey, after doing sit ups I have lower back pain, its not a "soreness" its an actual pain.

I happens real bad when I try to use my abdominals more than my hip flexors, I assumed this just meant I was doing it incorrectly (which could still be true).

However the other day I tried some, using more of my leg strength and I still got lower back pain.

I'm considering joining the Airforce currently, and I'm sure they are going to want me to be doing sit ups, however if it causes me pain, I'll need to rethink my plan.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 12:41 AM

Have you tried replacing your situps with crunches?

Crunches don't bother my back,but situps do the same as yours.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 02:32 AM

that would work, but the air force still requires situps.

analyze your technique, and compare it to what it should be, video your crunches or something.

if that doesnt work then..

run away lol
Posted by: Cord

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 04:03 AM

What people often dont realise is that full sit ups are a complete core exercise- you need your back to be as strong as your abs in order to do them with good spinal integrity.

Crab's idea of filming your technique side-on is a good one, but I would also look to train your body to be strong enough to do sit ups:

Back extensions x15-20 superset with Plank for 30-60 seconds. 4 sets

Static sit up hold: Sit in the same position as being at the 'top' of a sit up (dont anchor your feet), now descend slowly till you feel your abs and hips 'pull' or 'bite'. Keep proper position whilst holding this tension. 4x30-60 seconds

Hanging/roman chair Knee tucks- knees to chest 4x15-20

Hip flexor/abdominal stretches.

Dont try anymore full sit ups till you have done the above workout 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks. If in doing this workout you experience the same pain, or get any pain or tingling down either leg- stop IMMEDIATELY, and consult a registered physiotherapist as soon as possible to assess what is wrong and how best to fix it.
Posted by: Spade

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 11:39 AM

Thanks a ton for the advice, I'll try those exercises and at the end of four weeks see if I can do full sit ups with no pain.

Posted by: ttruscott

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 12:37 PM

I think an overdeveloped set of abs is detramental to a a strong back...they must be developed together.

Here's what worked for me:

Tai Chi Ends Lower Back Pain a "how to" video clip.

Ted

Real Crimes, Real Criminals Interviews by Peyton Quinn with criminals about victim selection...
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 01:12 PM

You need diagnosis by a sports doctor.

It sounds to me like you have inflammation in your lumbar spine facet joints or the saco-iliac joint. This won't just go away. You might need more than just physio - eg. cortisone.

See a doctor ASAP.
Posted by: wiggy

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 01:24 PM

Hi Spade,
Several questions: do you have pain when bending forward or sitting in a slouched position? do you have pain first thing in the morning? do you have pain when coughing or sneezing?....
If the answer to any of these are 'yes' then consider the possibility of a minor disc bulge. I didn't read how many sit-ups you were doing before the pain started but if you do have a disc bulge then back off the sit ups and do crunches... Stretch the back into extension several times a day and several times inbetween sets... When the back feels better then slowly resume sit ups but continue to stretch backward inbetween sets.

Good luck.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/19/08 04:53 PM

Quote:

I think an overdeveloped set of abs is detramental to a a strong back...they must be developed together.

Here's what worked for me:

Tai Chi Ends Lower Back Pain a "how to" video clip.

Ted

Real Crimes, Real Criminals Interviews by Peyton Quinn with criminals about victim selection...

That's very nice Ted.And ofcourse you end every post with your free advertising from your website.

Again, how much are you making from this site? How much are you paying?
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Situps and lower back pain. - 05/25/08 09:38 PM

As has been mentioned, you should see a health professional - MD, DO, PT, DC.

If the pain is while you are bending forward, it could be a disc issue. It is possible, but unlikely that curling forward could cause pain with a facet issue. It is more likely to hurt with extension.

It is not likely that you have stronger abs than back. I have yet to see a patient with that "problem". However, it is good that they are balanced and you stengthen the abs if need be.