"Boxers Break"

Posted by: Alex1980

"Boxers Break" - 06/22/07 07:41 AM

About 3 months ago I broke my little finger and ended up with whats known as a 'boxers break' i foolishly let it heal by itself without seeking any medical attention, although my hand is fine now i have a lump where the bone has healed out of place. Has anyone else had this injury and is it worth going to the hsopital to get it re-set?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: "Boxers Break" - 06/22/07 08:00 AM

I have that exact injury. And although I went and had it set, there is still a slight lump there. My hand was useless for punching for years afterward.

Things like this are ALWAYS worth having checked out by doctors. Only they can know what your best course of action is.

-John
Posted by: Kingdomwarriors

Re: "Boxers Break" - 07/18/07 12:26 PM

I got it on a break attempt on concrete.well I should say break because not only did I break the concrete I broke the hand as well. I waited for about 2 weeks before I went. The docs were mad at me because I waited so long but as I told them in martial arts you always have swelling etc...I still have weakness in the little finger and it curves kind of funny to the outside...and if I hold my fingers together it (little finger) sticks out. But the docs can tell you what is best...plus it is up to you with what you want to live with..I wish I had went to the docs earlier..but such as it is...
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: "Boxers Break" - 08/04/07 03:04 AM

Chances are, you'll break it again, and then would be the time for the corrective surgery. Not to say that as an omen or anything, but as an optomistic thing. Just thing, if you do break it again, instead of thinking, "Oh man I broke my finger!!>:(", you can think, "oh man, I can fix it now!:)" As long as it is functional, and the lump doesn't bother you, I'd chalk it up to learning experience and a somewhat awkward conversation starter. But there is also nothing wrong with wanting to get your finger back to normal either. If you've got the money, or good insurance, and the surgeon thinks it can be just like new, why not?
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: "Boxers Break" - 08/06/07 09:00 PM

Well, unless you have X-ray vision and can see how to reset your hand, you need some medical help. If it's already healed, and needs to be re-broken, it's a medical procedure... and I'm not sure I'd want to wait until I "really" broke it to try to get it fixed.

I broke my ankle and both bones in my leg in college playing basketball, and they had to wait six weeks to set my ankle because the bones in my leg had to heal first so they could set it properly. Just a minor mis-alignment caused it to break again 20 years later because it had never completely healed... so unless you want to self-destruct on the layaway plan, go find a doctor that will X-ray your hand and get you the kind of treatment that will allow it to heal properly.