Oblique/Rib strain?

Posted by: Al_Fernz

Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/25/07 04:31 AM

I was playing golf about 2 weeks ago. I went to tee off at the first tee. I didn't do any warm up swings. As I swung the club I felt a muscular strain in my ribs.

Anyways I carried on playing. I think it was compounded by me playing on and carrying my clubs. The pain wasn't sharp if you know what I mean so I continued on. When I was weightlifting a few days later I noticed the pain again.

Anyway I think its an oblique strain and I'm resting, icing and using ibuprofen in the affected area. Information on the web is limited on this. Would anybody know how long I will be out with this for? And is there anything else I can do to aid my recovery?
Posted by: crablord

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/25/07 04:41 AM

doctor
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/25/07 10:27 AM

Muscle pulls can take a while to heal. Go easy on it for at least a week before trying to work it again. It could easily take a month if it's bad. Not sure the doctor can really do anything for it, but not a bad idea to get it checked if you don't notice any improvement soon.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/25/07 05:36 PM

If it hurts 'in your ribs' when you take a deep breath in, then its one of your intercostal muscles. if it hurts when you twist or turn, and the pain is lower down your torso, then its probably your obliques. there is an outside chance it could be your serratus.
It doesnt matter which muscles are injured, rest is the key to healing. Take it easy.

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/26/07 03:43 AM

It's definitely the obliques then.

Thanks for the advice. Will icing and putting ibuprofen on the affected area help my recovery? The pain has decreased since I started, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to recover from.

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/26/07 05:48 AM

providing you are not contra-indicated for ibuprofen, then I am a big fan of anti inflammatories. Ice is best used in the first 48-72 hours, so now that window of oppertunity has gone, you would be better using heat and gentle mobilisation. Do not do any hard exercise till you are pain free.

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/26/07 11:38 AM

Would heat treatment imply putting a hot water bottle over the affected area?

Re: Oblique/Rib strain? - 05/26/07 11:56 AM

Thats as good as anything