Jogging Questions

Posted by: MastaFighta

Jogging Questions - 05/23/07 08:56 PM

I have a couple of jogging questions:

I was wondering if jogging twice a day can be counter-productive? I'm planning on jogging once in the morning and once in the evening/night. The distance is around 6-7 miles (from my house, to my high school and back to my house - pretty much a big circle). I might change the evening/night route to something shorter since there's some weird people that walk around at night (I'm sure they would think the same thing about me jogging at night).

What kind of clothing would be appropriate for jogging? I usually wear running shoes, gym shorts, and a worn out South Pole shirt. What got me to question what I usually wear for jogging is what I've seen Boxers wear when they jog. A majority of boxers I've seen train wear hoodies and pants, regardless of the climate (kind of like what Rocky Balboa wore).
Posted by: seito

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/23/07 09:37 PM

It depends on your background. Do you jog now? how many miles a week? If you are starting from zero, no it is not a good idea.

Clothes come down to comfort. Good running shoes are a must. Also, synthetic running socks. After that it is comfort. Running clothers are expensive.

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/23/07 09:55 PM

I used to jog daily though I'm pretty out of it since I haven't really worked out in a while. Chances are pretty good that I won't be able to jog the entire 6-7 miles without stopping or stepping down to a walk (I used to do that anyway when I used to jog, I never once jogged without stopping).
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/23/07 10:06 PM

The long clothes (hoods) are usually to lose weight quicker. Well here in Florida its hot, so running here we wear shorts and a t shirt. Anything that is light is good.
Posted by: seito

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 08:22 AM

Quote:

I used to jog daily though I'm pretty out of it since I haven't really worked out in a while. Chances are pretty good that I won't be able to jog the entire 6-7 miles without stopping or stepping down to a walk (I used to do that anyway when I used to jog, I never once jogged without stopping).

Then I would not do doubles. You will be at a high risk of injury jogging on tired legs. It takes a while to build up to doubles.
Posted by: olga

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 09:17 AM

Consistently jogging at a steady pace will, over time, slow down your legs in your Martiasl Arts. Jogging develops slow twitch muscles which are made for endurance, but not speed. Make sure you mix jogging with other training that works out your fast twitch muscles—your speed. You can also jogg for a while and then sprint as fast you can, then jog for a while again, etc.

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 10:06 AM

Quote:

Consistently jogging at a steady pace will, over time, slow down your legs in your Martiasl Arts. Jogging develops slow twitch muscles which are made for endurance, but not speed. Make sure you mix jogging with other training that works out your fast twitch muscles—your speed. You can also jogg for a while and then sprint as fast you can, then jog for a while again, etc.

Jogging is just one part of my overall workout. I need to build up my cardiovascular system since at the moment, it's extremely poor. The other day I tried boxing my kicking bag for a whole round (three minutes) and I tired out pretty fast two minutes into it.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 10:40 AM

I agree with Olga. Jogging is not going to help much with martial arts related cardio endurance. Look into tabata protocol. I have found them much more useful for what we do:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=1#Post15920814

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=3#Post15909669
Posted by: crablord

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 10:45 AM

Quote:

Consistently jogging at a steady pace will, over time, slow down your legs in your Martiasl Arts. Jogging develops slow twitch muscles which are made for endurance, but not speed.

actually after about 14 your muscle fibers are set in stone so theres really bugger all you can do about it

jog if you want it wont bugger your kicks, but it may build a different type of fitness than what you want
Posted by: olga

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 11:08 AM

Quote:

Jogging is just one part of my overall workout. I need to build up my cardiovascular system since at the moment, it's extremely poor. The other day I tried boxing my kicking bag for a whole round (three minutes) and I tired out pretty fast two minutes into it.

Then do just this to develop your cardio. Spend time working on your bag.

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Then do just this to develop your cardio. Spend time working on your bag.

Unfortunately I need a new bag as the one I have is falling apart and the base is cracked pretty bad. The bag I have now is a kicking bag and I'm looking towards buying a heavy bag though I need to also buy a heavy bag stand since I have no where to hang it.

Quote:

I agree with Olga. Jogging is not going to help much with martial arts related cardio endurance. Look into tabata protocol. I have found them much more useful for what we do:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=1#Post15920814

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=3#Post15909669

So basically, based on my understanding, do something with little effort (such as jogging) and then at specific time intervals, exert as much effort as possible (such as breaking off into a run)? Then just reset it from the beginning again? I'm going to look pretty weird doing that since my route goes along a busy state road.

Quote:

Quote:

Consistently jogging at a steady pace will, over time, slow down your legs in your Martiasl Arts. Jogging develops slow twitch muscles which are made for endurance, but not speed.

actually after about 14 your muscle fibers are set in stone so theres really bugger all you can do about it

jog if you want it wont bugger your kicks, but it may build a different type of fitness than what you want

I'm not really too worried about my kicks at the moment, just my cardiovascular fitness.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Jogging Questions - 05/24/07 12:04 PM

well basiclly.

if you want to get better at bag work, do bag work, dont jog.
etc.

both will build " fitness" but do whatever you want to get better at
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Jogging Questions - 06/18/07 08:09 AM

Alternate steady-state jogging (moderate pace, long distance and time) with intervals (HIIT, etc.).