post workout nutrirtion

Posted by: boxing_kid

post workout nutrirtion - 04/25/07 11:17 AM

i know your suppsoed to take carbs before a workout and have some carbs after your workout as well with protein, does it really matter which i take first, i mean does it matter whether i eat a piece of toast first then drink my protein shake? or does this really not matter
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: post workout nutrirtion - 04/25/07 03:36 PM

Best post workout foods:

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten/34_fitness_list.html

Best pre workout foods:

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten/24_fitness_list.html

Cant go wrong here.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: post workout nutrirtion - 04/25/07 04:47 PM

Hi,

I think this explains what you should be doing:

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/postwo.htm

So instead of more complex carbohydrates like toast, you should be focusing on simple quick digesting ones. I personally mix some cocoa powder (lots of sugar) with whey protein. You can get post-workout shakes that contain dextrose, electrolytes, glutamine etc.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: post workout nutrirtion - 04/30/07 09:45 PM

If you like a good read and you're serious about this sort of thing, buy yourself a copy of Nutrient Timing. You won't regret it. http://www.nutrienttiming.com/pages/nutrient_timingbook.html

It can be a bit complicated but it's a very modern way of thinking about nutrition, this book really is worth the read just to know it exists.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: post workout nutrition - 04/30/07 10:44 PM

One of the best classes I ever attended was at a National Karate and Jujitsu Union camp where they had a sports nutritionist from the University of North Carolina explain the cycle of specific elements built from nutrition. She explained the glycogen build up and decrease, and essentially went through everything we needed to know to "eat effectively" while we trained.

Dr. Susan Holliman was her name, and she exhorted us that the keys to peak performance were proper training and power eating. The best pre-workout foods were high carb, low fat with moderate protein, and lots of extra fluids.

The best post workout meals were high carb as well, and what we discovered was that the post workout meal was equally important as what you eat beforehand.

Sports drinks provided more appropriate salt and trace minerals that were expended by the body, and one of the main focuses of hydration is to keep the blood sugar levels correct.

Dehydration hurts performance more than any other mistake in training, and causes lots of bad effects, such as elevated body temperature, impaired performance (mental), heat exhaustion, hallucinations and heat stroke... even in a cool gym setting (if you're really hammering the training).

Changes in climate can be hazardous too, because the response of sweat glands is determined by previous exposure to heat, and you only acclimate to changes in climate approximately 80% over 7 days... so a trip to camp in the mountains can be harmful if you aren't careful (or to New Orleans, where the humidity drips through your clothes).

Some of the symptoms of Dehydration are dark urine, small volumes of urine, headache, and unusually elevated heart rate. Fluid intakes should begin several hours before working out (2-3 cups), 1-2 cups about 15 minutes before, and during the workout about every 15-30 minutes. Afterwards, keep drinking fluids until your urine is again pale.

While she recommended sports drinks, her overwhelming choice for normal consumption was water, water, water. Prevention of dehydration was paramount, and the old "train til you drop" will only have you getting off the floor... her recommendation was hydrate before, during, and after, and train as long as your muscles will allow.

All in all, she gave us a tremendous class, and I've kept the notes for over 20 years, and review them anytime I'm starting to go to a camp or seminar... or someone posts a question like this on the boards...

Posted by: Dereck

Re: post workout nutrition - 05/01/07 01:05 AM

All good stuff here.