Documentary on supermarkets

Posted by: Leo_E_49

Documentary on supermarkets - 03/21/07 08:12 AM

Thought I'd share this with everyone:

(WARNING: These videos are quite graphic and disgusting, not for the faint of heart)

Part 1:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5774892958354867332&q=dispatches
Part 2:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3486838871531386599&q=dispatches+part+2
Posted by: Cord

Re: Documentary on supermarkets - 03/23/07 08:03 AM

OK, i am going to break the silence and fess up- no way i am going to sit and watch 1 hour google clips, sorry.

Any chance you could sum up what its all about Leo?

Re: Documentary on supermarkets - 03/23/07 10:28 AM

This one's actually worth watching, for the chicken liposuction if nothing else. (Bet that got your attention ) I have come to believe that the high rate of obesity in the UK is in part due to the high rate of chicken consumption in this country. The video is basically about the unethical practices in supermarkets and the myth that supermarkets sell cheap food. If I told you some of the stuff which goes on here you wouldn't believe me, I wouldn't have believed it until I watched the show.

Don't worry, the show is pretty entertaining, although distressing at times. It's not a chore to sit through.

I can guarantee that after watching this, you will at least consider boycotting all supermarkets forever. I no longer shop at supermarkets for my groceries, despite the difficulty this poses. (Ironically my groceries now cost less)
Posted by: Cord

Re: Documentary on supermarkets - 03/23/07 10:33 AM

Yeah, i am not so good at the whole 'animals in distress' footage- you know those ads they put on showing 'charlie' the dog who was mistreated then taken in by the animal charity, and they want 'x' amount of cash per month? I cant watch 'em. Show me miserable kids all day, amputees, any form of human misfortune, I can watch, and probably make a couple of gags out of, but show me a dancing bear in a muzzle and i do a great big rubbery one

Dont worry, i am just wired differently to most.

Re: Documentary on supermarkets - 03/23/07 03:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, i am not so good at the whole 'animals in distress' footage- you know those ads they put on showing 'charlie' the dog who was mistreated then taken in by the animal charity, and they want 'x' amount of cash per month? I cant watch 'em. Show me miserable kids all day, amputees, any form of human misfortune, I can watch, and probably make a couple of gags out of, but show me a dancing bear in a muzzle and i do a great big rubbery one

Dont worry, i am just wired differently to most.

This is definitely not a show for you to watch then I guess. It'd have you completely helpless, even I was shaken by it and I'm usually pretty unaffected. The chicken liposuction is done on a bird bought in a supermarket by the way, not on a live chicken. The result of the liposuction found chicken to contain something like 15-20% bodyfat! That means that chicken is more fatty than other meats. Nutritionists have been touting chicken as a low fat food for years and now, due to battery farming, the opposite is true. Shocking stuff.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Documentary on supermarkets - 03/23/07 03:45 PM

Abuse to kids and animals ... makes me sad too.