Chicken Skin

Posted by: Ayub

Chicken Skin - 03/11/07 04:48 AM

I often reading healthy eating guidelines that put skinless lean or other poulty as a preferred protein source in a meal. I know the skin contains a lot of fat.

Out here I have no time to cook and the only lean meat I can get (almost everything is pretty greasy) is chicken wings, but they do have their skins on. Its very difficult to get a low fat and high protein diet here. So is the skin really that bad for you?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Chicken Skin - 03/11/07 06:53 PM

Its not great. Can you not cook for yourself? presumably if you have access to chicken wings, the rest of the chicken must be for sale somewhere nearby? buy that, and cook it without the skin. Job done.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Chicken Skin - 03/12/07 08:52 AM

Quote:

presumably if you have access to chicken wings, the rest of the chicken must be for sale somewhere nearby?

Posted by: Ayub

Re: Chicken Skin - 03/14/07 11:10 AM

Indeed it is, My point is that the rest is in the fried into the greasiest of sauces and it has an adversed effect to any training gains you wish to attain.

I would do so my own cooking (obviously you can buy lean meat) but I really dont get the time to do so.

Ill have to keep looking for some healthy protein sources.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Chicken Skin - 03/14/07 11:17 AM

Now I'm starving.

Cord, what do you think about beans as a source of protein? I realize that canned 'pork-n-beans' have a ton of fat and sodium, but what about plain black beans, or kidney beans? I also heard there's a ton of iron in kidney beans.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Chicken Skin - 03/14/07 07:22 PM

Quote:

I would do so my own cooking (obviously you can buy lean meat) but I really dont get the time to do so.

Sorry dude, this is a cop out. Dry roast a whole chicken, strip the skin and keep the meat. You should get 3-5 meals out of it depending on size. once its in the oven you can get on with your life as it cooks. If i can do full time shift work, help out in my family business, train 5 days a week, maintain quality time with my wife and still find time to prepare meals to my specific needs, then so can you.
You have to want to do it enough to find/make the time.