Carb day?

Posted by: govt_issued

Carb day? - 02/16/07 10:49 AM

This is more directed towards those of you on high protein low carb diets (which is probably most of you anyways).

So I've read a few health journals of some people who seem to be successful in acheiving their goals (one of which featured in the most recent men's health) and they had mentioned having one day out of the week where they stack up on long-term carbs, like pastas and whatnot.

Now I know a lot of you all are on some sort of lifting plan or HIIT training or both. Basically I just want to find out everyone's opinions on having one "carb day" out of the week.

I thought about having a cheat day (or as I like to call it, cramming my face with $hit food) but I thought better of it. My main weakness though is Italian food. Namely beef and spinich tortellini. Loaded with protein but also carbs. Would it be justified or maybe even beneficial to pig out on this stuff maybe just once a week if I'm on both a HIIT and lifting plan?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Carb day? - 02/16/07 11:46 AM

Low carb should never mean 'no carb'. 'Pigging out' is never a good concept to get into. If you provide the body with sufficient proteins, carbs, vitamins and minerals on a daily basis, then you will do much better than undertaking any form of nutritional deprivation.
Beef and spinach tortellini doesnt sound nutritionaly terrible. The beef will be relatively low quality as it will be minced, and so high in saturated fat, so go easy with the accompanying sauces (have it with a tomatoe based sauce instead of a cream based one), and eat it in sensible portions, and there is no reason why it couldnt become a regular part of your weekly meal plan.
If you want to look at balancing carb intake, do it through the day, not day by day. This means scaling down the amount of carbs you take in as the day progresses, starting with a carb rich breakfast, and ending with a low carb evening meal. 'Carb days' and 'non carb' days are just a way of screwing up the consistency in your nutritional balance.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Carb day? - 02/16/07 11:51 AM

It has always been my opinion the healthier you are will allow you to "cheat" once and a while. You have to live life otherwise if you keep putting blockades in front of yourself that sooner or later you will start to dislike what you are doing and it becomes less fun and then for many they find reasons not to do it anymore.

I eat fairly healthy but I do love chocolate and other sweets but realize if I am going to have something like this then I am going to have to work it off. Heck I probably don't but that is must my thinking and thus allows me to indulge from time to time. I think if you eat in moderation stuff less healthy and more for pleasure that this is okay, it is the going overboard that will do you in. And if you do over indulge then you had better make sure you work extra hard the next day to ensure that you are burning off those calories.

We still have to live and enjoy life's pleasures, we just need to do it smarter.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Carb day? - 02/16/07 12:33 PM

Better than cheat day is cheat meal. One sensible cheat meal a week will help your metabolism, don't overdo it. I take one meal with the carby stuff I enjoy eating once a week and then it's right back to low carb.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Carb day? - 02/26/07 02:37 PM

i cheat meal daily
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Carb day? - 02/26/07 05:02 PM

Quote:

i cheat meal daily

Such profound information, thank you very much. Keep this sort of dribble to yourself please. If you want to add something to a post make sure it is intelligent and proper sentences are used please.