Recovering from ankle sprain?

Posted by: Neko456

Recovering from ankle sprain? - 02/16/07 01:07 AM

Recovering from ankle sprain? How have you treated this injury. There was a time when it took 2-3 weeks and I was healed, it been 1.5 months ankle still swollen, no pain.
I've reinjuried it twice but still its not healing as fast as it use to.

One of the Doctors says it might be Gout. What are some treatments that you guys have used or heard of, herbal naural or prescription.

Any helpful suggestions would be apprecicated.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Recovering from ankle sprain? - 02/16/07 03:16 AM

Rest. I can't think of anything better you can do for your ankle. Try to put as little strain on it as you can until it's healed. Most of the quick fixes I've encountered for longer-term recovery have turned out to be snake oil.

Ice might help it out though...
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Recovering from ankle sprain? - 02/24/07 09:42 PM

Quote:

Recovering from ankle sprain? How have you treated this injury. There was a time when it took 2-3 weeks and I was healed, it been 1.5 months ankle still swollen, no pain.
I've reinjuried it twice but still its not healing as fast as it use to.

One of the Doctors says it might be Gout. What are some treatments that you guys have used or heard of, herbal naural or prescription.

Any helpful suggestions would be apprecicated.

Rest - This will prevent your ankle from being further damaged. Make sure you keep off of it as much as possible until you feel it has healed.

Ice - Constantly apply ice to it, but do not keep ice on it longer than twenty minutes. The ice will help bring down the swelling by expanding the blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow from your ankle to the rest of your body. Also make sure you have some sort of barrier between the ice, and your skin.

Compression - This will slow down the process of swelling. Use an elastic bandage for this.

Elevation - Whenever you are laying down, keep your ankle elevated higher than your body. This will allow the blood to carry waste from your ankle away from it.

This is known as R.I.C.E.

Stay away from herbal remedies or prescriptions unless your doctor tells you otherwise.

Also, from what it sounds like, you need to speak with your doctor about the injury, and find out what can be done to treat it.
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Recovering from ankle sprain? - 02/24/07 11:51 PM

I can't edit my previous post for some reason. I apologize for double-posting.

I would also add that if you are re-injuring your ankle, then you might have to undergo rehabilitation. The rehabilitation will consist of strength training and/or flexibility exercises in order to prevent your ankle from being re-injured.