Raw Eggs?

Posted by: govt_issued

Raw Eggs? - 02/13/07 05:26 PM

I've noticed a lot of you saying that you put raw egg whites in your protein shakes, or even the more bolder saying that you just eat raw eggs. I'd like to try this (at least the whites in the shakes) but I thought that you could get salmonella from raw eggs. Is the risk really not all that great or are you raw egg eaters just really ballsy?
Posted by: Joe7987

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/13/07 05:31 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=1#Post15878764
Posted by: Crash

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/13/07 05:34 PM

you beat me to it Joe.

Yes this has been brought up several times.
Posted by: govt_issued

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/13/07 06:08 PM

My bust. I'll look harder next time.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/20/07 11:33 AM

I heard that worms have more protien than anything else. you should put worms in your drink
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/20/07 12:28 PM

That's a joke, right?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/20/07 12:57 PM

I'm curious as to whether this is true, not that I'd use them for protein, just that I don't doubt that some people might go that far.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/20/07 01:02 PM

Well I hope it is a joke because I could list a whole bunch of stuff that are high in protein that would be just as foolish as adding worms.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/22/07 01:45 PM

it's true
Posted by: Cord

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/22/07 01:51 PM

plenty of cultures eat worms/bugs/larvae/etc. No big deal. If i ate a cockroach in front of you, it would gross you out, but if we sat and ate prawns you wouldn't bat an eyelid.
the thing about farmed insects/bugs is that their environment and food sources are controlled to ensure they do not pass on any dangerous germs or toxins. If you just dig up worms, wash em and eat em, then you are also eating the earth in their bodies, that could contain animal sh1t, motor oil, dead animal tissue etc.
Its not the worms that are the problem, its their natural environment that is the problem.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/22/07 03:49 PM

raw eggs should be mixed with lemon juice or vinegar and let stand for 15 min before consuming.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/23/07 05:12 AM

That's cooking them, surely?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Raw Eggs? - 02/23/07 08:35 AM

So basically you're putting them in an acid, what does that do? I've cracked them out of the shell and into my mouth before, no biggie.
Posted by: Turner

Re: Raw Eggs? - 05/30/07 06:07 PM

Mixing raw eggs with anything except a bit of milk practically destroys most of the goodness in it.

They have plenty of minerals,vitamins,protein,fat,zinc ect ect

id say drink 4 a morning for a healthy intake of half of the stuff the human body needs.
Posted by: lambpie

Re: Raw Eggs? - 06/03/07 06:55 PM

the bodybuilders a few years back regularly ate raw eggs.. ive tried it and its not nice!
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Raw Eggs? - 06/04/07 03:15 PM

they do sell pasteurized eggs now - they're slightly cooked but not much. If you feel you MUST eat raw eggs, that would be safer. Eggs are indeed an excellent source of protein, but they're also a wonderful source of salmonella. I personally don't think I'd build much muscle lying in a hospital bed puking my guts out, but hey that's just me
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Raw Eggs? - 06/12/07 09:03 AM

You'd be surprised at how ripped your abs feel after puking and dry-heaving for a few days. Plus, it'll work wonders on lowering your body fat.

Posted by: SamW

Re: Raw Eggs? - 06/19/07 11:16 AM

If what you are after is protein- then add egg white powder or pasteurized egg whites. You can by both in the store.

You still get all the protein benefit of raw eggs w/o the danger and the processing does NOT destroy the protein content.

Check around though. The egg white powders sold by most supplement companies are extremely expensive. I actually found powdered egg whites in the grocery store that were about 20% cheaper than the supplement companies sold. (uh oh, I'm now advertising for the grocery stores- darn)

The pasteurized egg whites tend to be expensive, so the pasteurized whole eggs are a better option. Just think of them as prescrambled