Gracie Diet

Posted by: BuDoc

Gracie Diet - 01/28/07 08:40 PM

Has anyone ever tried the Gracie Diet??

This was developed by 50 years of trial and error by Carlos Gracie Sr. and practiced and advocated by Helio and many members of the Gracie Family.

Upon study, it appears to be an alkaline diet in which foods are combined in a specific manner. All foods are grouped into 7 groups and only certain foods combine at any given time. For instance, oranges must be eaten alone, milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat, etc.
etc.

Some of the quirks of the diet is that it really doesn't eliminate any food except any pork product or canned or bottled juice and soda. You can eat just about anything else as long as it is in the proper combination. Obviously they prefer that what you eat be fresh fruits and vegetables and cheeses.

Also the diaet advocates only three (3) meals per day, instead of the modern idea of 5-6. No portion control just eat until you feel full but not stuffed.

Also a curious note is that you should space your 3 meals 4 1/2 hours appart to insure proper digestion.
Now from a medical view point there is nothing really wrong with this type of diet, however it does fly in the face of the modern 5-6 small meal a day theory.

So is there creedence to this diet?? Well Carlos lived to a ripe old age, and Helio is still kicking at 90+. All of Helios sons (Rorion, Relson,Rickson, Royce) supposedly adhere to this diet as well as Carlos Sr's sons.

This may be prone to question though, as I find it hard to swallow(Ha Ha ) that the "fighters" in the family don't use more modern eating schedules and supplementation which is clearly contrary to the idea that if you follow the diets parameters you will have a long, healthy,strong, active life.

I guess what I'm looking for here is any feedback you nutition-wise folks might have before I consider plunging into this thing.

I am young and very fit and healthy and wouldn't do myself any harm testing this on myself for a few months (proponents say you will feel major differences in 2 weeks),
I'm just wondering if there will be any benefit??

Thanks to any and all for your advice.

Page
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Gracie Diet - 01/28/07 09:14 PM

I have no knowledge of the Gracie diet per se, but I found this interesting:

Quote:

milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat

Isn't that Jewish Kosher dietary law? I wonder if that law had any basis in nutrition or is it just coincidence. Oddly enough, I have never liked creamy sauces on meat.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Gracie Diet - 01/28/07 11:40 PM

Helio also stated that a component of his long life and health is that he never has sex except for procreation.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Gracie Diet - 01/29/07 12:01 AM

Hey man, I'm just interested in the diet!!

I'm not going to make that big of a lifestyle change!

Page
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Gracie Diet - 01/29/07 05:15 AM

I was also wondering the same thing, as you can't eat pork either...
Posted by: Cord

Re: Gracie Diet - 01/29/07 05:36 AM

If the eating plan does not exclude many foods, nor devide nutrients in such a way as to have 'carb days' and 'protein days' like you dont need each 24/7 ( ), then it just sounds like a recommendation of eating 3 balanced meals a day.
Dairy and meat are both sources of proteins and fats- having one or another, rather than both together will not harm the nutrient content of your meal, if anything, it will promote lower total fat intake, and prevent 'protein overkill' that is so prevalent in today's dietary 'wisdom'.

As for the the 'eat 6 times a day' method, i have yet to be convinced that this is the answer we should all be aiming for. I have had people thrive on it, others find it frustrating and impractical for their lives, and others plain uncomfortable as they always feel they have food 'sloshing around' in their gut all the time.

For those it works for (especialy in respect to fat loss), the fact that it is preached that each meal should be smaller and nutrient rich leads to greater care being taken in the quality of what is eaten, and portions reigned in to be in balance with their requirements. If they had done this over a 3 meal day, they would probably have the same results- they just needed the change to focus on positive eating habits.

Far more important IMO and IME, is timing of eating, not frequency of eating. Those who start the day with a hearty breakfast, and end it with a light (and not late) evening meal do much better on the whole, than the cultural shift that has turned the evening meal into the main focal point of our nutritional day. The World is full of people putting fuel in their gas tanks at the end of their journeys- completely wrong.

Everyone is different. I eat twice a day- big early breakfast, substantial afternoon meal, anywhere between 3 and 5 pm. Thats it. It works for me, it may be wrong for you.

The Gracie diet is not dangerous, or quirky, or even particularly unusual. 3 balanced meals a day, eat till you are satisfied, but not stuffed, concentrate on simple combinations of unprocessed foods.
Best advice a 'diet plan' has given in some time as far as i am concerned.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Gracie Diet - 02/06/07 12:57 PM

Quote:

Those who start the day with a hearty breakfast, and end it with a light (and not late) evening meal do much better on the whole, than the cultural shift that has turned the evening meal into the main focal point of our nutritional day. The World is full of people putting fuel in their gas tanks at the end of their journeys- completely wrong.

This is what I try to do. Big breakfast, medium sized lunch, small supper. And mabey a snack like a protein shake or cottage cheese after supper. It's kind of tough to fit in 6 meals a day for me, I'm not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't always work for me.
Posted by: shadowfox87

Re: Gracie Diet - 08/21/08 02:46 PM

Just wondering, does anyone know the reason why the Gracie diet does not include pork and derivatives? Also btw, Helio Gracie is now 95+.
Posted by: janxspirit

St. Louis boxing and mma gym - gracie diet - 08/21/08 04:03 PM

Quote:

Has anyone ever tried the Gracie Diet??

This was developed by 50 years of trial and error by Carlos Gracie Sr. and practiced and advocated by Helio and many members of the Gracie Family.

Upon study, it appears to be an alkaline diet in which foods are combined in a specific manner. All foods are grouped into 7 groups and only certain foods combine at any given time. For instance, oranges must be eaten alone, milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat, etc.
etc.

Some of the quirks of the diet is that it really doesn't eliminate any food except any pork product or canned or bottled juice and soda. You can eat just about anything else as long as it is in the proper combination. Obviously they prefer that what you eat be fresh fruits and vegetables and cheeses.

Also the diaet advocates only three (3) meals per day, instead of the modern idea of 5-6. No portion control just eat until you feel full but not stuffed.

Also a curious note is that you should space your 3 meals 4 1/2 hours appart to insure proper digestion.
Now from a medical view point there is nothing really wrong with this type of diet, however it does fly in the face of the modern 5-6 small meal a day theory.

So is there creedence to this diet?? Well Carlos lived to a ripe old age, and Helio is still kicking at 90+. All of Helios sons (Rorion, Relson,Rickson, Royce) supposedly adhere to this diet as well as Carlos Sr's sons.

This may be prone to question though, as I find it hard to swallow(Ha Ha ) that the "fighters" in the family don't use more modern eating schedules and supplementation which is clearly contrary to the idea that if you follow the diets parameters you will have a long, healthy,strong, active life.

I guess what I'm looking for here is any feedback you nutition-wise folks might have before I consider plunging into this thing.

I am young and very fit and healthy and wouldn't do myself any harm testing this on myself for a few months (proponents say you will feel major differences in 2 weeks),
I'm just wondering if there will be any benefit??

Thanks to any and all for your advice.

Page

I'd like to try it sometime. The idea of avoiding fermentation in the gastro intestinal tract is an interesting one.
Posted by: vanguard

Gracie Diet - 10/30/08 07:17 PM

The Gracie Diet is designed for Martial Artists while the 5-6 small meals a day is designed for bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts.

Martial Artists do a great deal of cardio, strength training, and practices everyday and needs tremendous amount of energy. Martial Artists aren't that concerned about how they look or how defined their muscles are, or at least it's not just their primary concern. Hence, eating much more than the usual is just normal. This is where most people tend to get confused, eat more in lesser intervals or eat less frequently? The answer will depend as to what your goal is and you mode of training. The amount of food intake and the level and intensity of exercise must be proportional.

But of course, to live a healthy lifestyle and to keep the body to it's peak condition, a healthy and balanced diet is still heavily required.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Gracie Diet - 10/31/08 07:56 AM

I don't know if this helps, but I came across this interview with Rickson Gracie some time ago. He was talking about relaxation in it.

He also mentions the "Gracie Diet".

From the Interview (being interviewed by Maynard Keenan of the band Tool):

"Maynard: I heard that the Gracies also follow a specific diet.

Rickson: Yes. It doesn’t have as much to do with what or how much you eat as it does with how you combine your foods. You can eat vegetables, fruit, rice, beans, meat, or whatever. But the most important thing is the food combinations. The digestive process is the biggest workout your body does on a daily basis. You use energy to digest. You can save energy by choosing foods that digest better in certain combinations, and you can absorb more nutrients and gain more energy by choosing food that use compatible enzymes to digest. "

Here is the whole interview: http://www.teamtooke.com/ricksonmaynardinterview.html
Posted by: andrew45

Re: Gracie Diet - 04/15/09 02:57 AM

sorry, but their is no way of getting your body's pancreas to magicaly start functioning again, be it through yoga or diet. I am not going to allow any links that may lead to someone stopping their medication, leading to increased nerve, circulatory, and eyesight damage - let alone the very real possibility of coma and death
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Gracie Diet - 04/15/09 09:56 AM

Don't forget the other part of the Gracie diet, LOL -

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4141&zoneid=3

(June 2007)

"The California State Athletic Commission yesterday released information verifying that former NFL star Johnnie Morton's pre-fight drug test had come back positive for elevated levels of testosterone.

Today, the CSAC released further test results revealing that Royce Gracie has tested positive for the anabolic steroid Nandrolone Metabolite. Gracie defeated Kazushi Sakuraba by unanimous decision at the K-1 Dynamite show on June 2nd in Los Angeles, California.

Gracie has been suspended for approximately 12 months from the date of the fight (through May 30, 2008). He has also been fined $2,500, which is currently the maximum penalty allowable in California and which represents approximately 0.8 percent of Gracie's $300,000 purse. Gracie has 30 days to appeal his suspension and seek a disciplinary hearing if he so chooses.

When asked yesterday if the official fight result would be changed to "no decision" if any fighter wins a fight in California and then tests positive for steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, the California State Athletic Commission's Bill Douglas told MMAWeekly, "Currently, our rules do not support overturning a decision based off the drug test results. However, Armando [Garcia] and I are meeting with the AG [Attorney General] next month to begin the process of modifying the existing laws to incorporate those rules for the future. Should everything move along like I anticipate, I would expect to see the changes in place by the end of the year."

If K-1/FEG or any other MMA company with a license to promote shows in California were to allow Gracie to fight anywhere in the world during his CSAC drug suspension, that company could face revocation of their license to promote shows in California.

The same is true for any MMA promotion that uses Hong-Man Choi or Antonio Silva, both of whom were denied licenses to fight in California on medical grounds, due to tumors near their pituitary glands. The CSAC's Bill Douglas tells MMAWeekly that if a promotion places a "denied" athlete such as Choi or Silva in a fight, "We have a problem. If the promoter is licensed with California and they knowingly placed a 'denied' athlete in a fight, then the promoter is looking at having their promoter's license suspended, they are looking at a fine, or they could possibly have their promoter's license revoked."

K-1 has announced that Choi will be fighting on a K-1 event in Hong Kong on July 29th, which could jeopardize K-1's ability to hold any additional shows in California in the future.

Morton's punishment has not yet been handed down, but he may face revocation of his license to fight in California. Because he refused to take his post-fight drug test, Morton's $100,000 fight purse has been temporarily withheld until disciplinary action is determined.

Prior to Gracie and Morton's positive test results, heavyweight fighter Tim Persey, who fought on the EliteXC portion of the event televised on Showtime, tested positive for methamphetamine. He was subsequently fined $1,000, equal to five percent of his $20,000 fight purse, and suspended for six months.

The following fighters tested negative for all banned substances at K-1 Dynamite: Brock Lesnar, Min Soo Kim, Kazushi Sakuraba, Bernard Ackah, Jake Shields, Ido Pariente, Jonathan Wiezorek, Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante, Nam Phan, Katsuhiko Nagata, Isaiah Hill, Hideo Tokoro, Brad Pickett, Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga, Ruben "Warpath" Villarreal, Dong Sik Yoon, and Melvin Manhoef.
"

Note that Brock Lesnar(!) tested negative.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Gracie Diet - 04/16/09 09:06 PM

Brock Lesnar tested positive for being a huge human being, that's all.