6 meals a day

Posted by: boxing_kid

6 meals a day - 01/28/07 09:40 AM

ok so 6 meals a day is supposed to be a lot better overall for fat loss and muscle gain, i have read up that you should be consuming a good amount of protein at each meal because it will not only preserve muscle but protein takes more energy to break down then carbs therefore burning more calories. does anybody do this? would a protein shakes be considered a "meal"? and if a protein shake could be a meal should i limit the number of shakes i use as meals? and any tips or suggestions appreciated
Posted by: Dereck

Re: 6 meals a day - 01/28/07 02:34 PM

I normally eat 5 to 6 meals a day. I can't say I've replaced a meal with a shake though. However depending on the shake you take, yes, I believe that could be a meal replacement or supplement to a small meal. I however would ensure that I'm eating at least 3 to 4 meals of actual food. Also you don't want to over do your protein intact. Determine what you need for the day and then divide it amongst the meals with probably more for the meals where you know you will be active. I have no scientific back up but I'm hoping others will.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: 6 meals a day - 01/29/07 05:14 AM

I sometimes consume a protein shake as the protein part of a meal; a meal should include protein and some fruit or vegetables. Protein shakes mixed with banana are great post-workout meals.

Try to eat "real food" for the majority of your meals though.