What supplements should I take for workout

Posted by: Romako

What supplements should I take for workout - 01/03/07 11:00 PM

What supplements are a must for you body when working out.
Even when not working out.
I am currently takin 100% ON gold whey protein. I must admit it helped me alot. Although I heard whey makes you bulkey nitric tech is a good protein that will make your muscles more defined. So I wanna switch and see what difference it will make. Also I heard that BSN NO Explode is a must. Im going to get this product as well which has a bit of creatine and vitamin on it with actual taste unlike nasty tasting creatine. Also I hear alot about fish oil. Whats the benefits of it and which one is best?
Anything else my body needs for that extra help like multi vitamin and etc? Thax guys
Posted by: Borrek

Re: What supplements should I take for workout - 01/03/07 11:52 PM

Dude dont put too much stock in the marketing of supplements. 99% of what you read is crap. They get to make all sorts of unsubstantiated claims because theyre technically food products and not drugs. You'll end up spending a fortune for something that is not noticeably better for you than regular protein (or it could be actually harmful)

In my opinion the following are what I consider necessary supplements. You can generally stock up on all these for minimal cost. By minimal I mean ~$100 for a 3-4 month supply

-Protein. I like to buy a thing of whey and a thing of casein. whey for after workouts and casein for a midday shake. they cost the same.
-vitamin C
-B12/B6/folic acid. preferrably in a sublingual tablet
-Calcium/zinc/magnesium
-Vitamin E
-Omega 3 fatty acids, either fish oil or flax seed oil
-glucosamine/chondroitin (only really necessary if youre gettin old like me. its expensive)

Dont make the mistake of overdoing the protein.

Some of the above items help for general health too and most current (unbalanced) diets are missing them.
Posted by: Joe7987

Re: What supplements should I take for workout - 01/04/07 12:17 AM

Taking one protein over another isnt going to give you more definition.

Definition comes from a combination of low body fat percentage and good genes, not a certain kind of protein.

Are you taking a multivitamin?....
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: What supplements should I take for workout - 01/04/07 11:18 AM

I take B6, Fish oil, Protein made from pure egg whites after training sometimes, and pharmaceutical grade Creatine

All really cheap the only thing that tastes bad is the protein because it lumps
Posted by: Cord

Re: What supplements should I take for workout - 01/04/07 12:31 PM

Cod liver oil and glucosamine- both for joints

Multivitamin/mineral- 'one a day' tablet. Just as a 'safety net'

whatever protein mix is on special offer at the time in your local healthfood store- the brand is completely irrelevant.

Thats my supplement shopping list. In the past it was a lot different, but i was young and gullible. Learning from Experience and education have resulted in what I have boiled it down to.

i have one extravagance at the moment- 'ON' whey protein in cookies and cream flavour. Not for the quality of the protein, but as a nutritionaly valid replacement for my too frequent cravings for Hagen Daz cookies and cream ice cream.

Its only for treats at that price though

Spend time and care on ensuring you eat well balanced meals involving plenty of fresh foods, and you wont have any shortcomings in your diet that need 'supplementing'.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: What supplements should I take for workout - 01/04/07 03:29 PM

I use skim milk powder as a cheap alternative to whey protein. Its protein content is pretty high if you're on a budget.