Sweat/Sauna Suits

Posted by: Eveal

Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/24/06 02:20 PM

I recently purchased me a sweat/sauna suit the other day because they seem to help melt off abit more calories and water weight during training. Do anyone here have any experience with them and can lend me a few tips before I start with it tomorrow. Thanks

Brandon
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/24/06 04:13 PM

I would be interested in hearing what answers come up as well. I was under the impression that that these were only good for losing water weight. For competition purposes and now at the weight of 193 lbs, it had crossed my mind to use something like this so I could drop to the Middle Weight Division and being a larger fighter then stay at my weight in the Light Heavy Weight and being one of the smaller fighters.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/24/06 07:08 PM

Where did you get your suit and how much did it cost?

I'm interested in purchasing one but I havn't been able to find one at any ofthe local sports stores. Big 5, Sports Authority, Sports Challet, Target, WalMart, Big K, Champs, Coplands Sports...not one of these stores carries them.

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/24/06 08:33 PM

I got mine from [censored] Sporting Goods here in the town I live. You can order them off Everlast for about 15 dollars and 30 for the better quality ones. I paid 15 for mine but its not Everlast. I can't wait to start shadowboxing and bag work with it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/24/06 11:07 PM

Sweat suits only direct purpose is to do what it says on the packet- make you sweat more and thus lose water weight short term for a weigh in. improved calorific expenditure through the increased temperature is a myth, as the actual thermogenic effect is minimal.

A secondary function that relates directly to competetive fighting, is that sensible use of the suits can aclimatise the wearer to functioning in a slightly dehydrated state for short periods of time. In a combat competition (boxing,mma etc) not much water is actually ingested during round breaks- the odd sip yes, but mostly it is a rinse and spit to get rid of the dry mouth feeling you get from a gum shield. This means that most fighters are dehydrated in later rounds. Sweat suit training can prepare them for this a little.

By far the best thing is to train and eat in such a way that you make weight without having to resort to dehydration. Even with a weigh in the day before a fight, such drastic measures can leave you weak and unable to perform to your best, and if you are weighing in on the day of comp, you would be better to pull out than try dehydrating with no time to replenish.

As with everything in life, short term fixes seldom beat proper diligent preparation.

Use with caution, dehydration can kill you.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/25/06 01:00 AM

Just what I thought and makes sense and will reconsider losing any weight before a competition as the weigh is the same day. Thanks Cord.

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/25/06 05:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Cord but do you know some tips in proper use of one or are you saying to not use it at all?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/25/06 11:05 AM

I am saying that if you need to use one specificaly to make weight for a fight, and that you have 24 hours post weigh in to rehydrate, then its a necessary evil.

For all other instances I would say dont use them. The whole 'wow look how hard i worked- look at all that sweat' is a psychological thing, and does not correlate with any physiological benefit.
Any weight you lose through accelerated dehydration you will regain through normal eating and drinking over the next 8-12 hours, so the extra risk from dehydrating yourself on purpose is a fruitless endeavour.
Posted by: Zyranyth

Re: Sweat/Sauna Suits - 09/29/06 05:35 AM

Besides, dehydration is in no way positive. It's basic knowledge that you should drink f.ex. water after working out to get back to your normal weight.

It will help your body recover more quickly, and develop faster.

I think a sauna suit might be used for self defense though. Your assailant might choke from laughter. =)

OH, and being finnish and all, .. Try a real sauna. It cleanses and relaxes like nothing else.. Especially if you jump into a cold lake afterwards, return to the sauna, repeat, and then pop the cap of a cold beer. And Saunas should be 80-100C.