Blood donation

Posted by: installer_swan

Blood donation - 09/14/06 06:57 AM

Having just donated blood, I wonder how long I should wait before exercising. The doctor advised me to avoid running, and sports for around 2 days. I wanted to know if this applies to non-cardio activity as well? I plan to stay off pretty much all exercise for 2 days, but I wanted to know if that's ok, and wont make me lose the gradual strength and endurance I gained over the last week or so?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Blood donation - 09/14/06 08:15 AM

You won't lose any significant amount of strength or conditioning in 2 days. Many weightlifting programs run on the assumption that you will need 24-48 hours between workouts to recover.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Blood donation - 09/14/06 01:51 PM

I used to work blood drives and give blood also. You're arm can't be used for anything strenuous for 24-48 hours. General physical exertion is about the same time, otherwise you may get dizzy and have your vision go blank for a moment. I recommend two days minimum. I won't give blood unless I have at least that much of a break. Muscle wise, you won't loose much, but make sure to eat really healthy and drink lots of good fluids.