Shoulder tension - acupuncture?

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Shoulder tension - acupuncture? - 08/30/06 10:33 AM

My right shoulder has been very prone to tensing up lately and it is killing my wing chun game. Would acupuncture perhaps be appropriate to look into for therapy?
Posted by: migo

Re: Shoulder tension - acupuncture? - 09/03/06 04:53 AM

I guess it depends on who's doing it. The second most effective treatment I've had for muscle spasms was accupuncture mixed with ART (active release therapy), it was the type of accupuncture that focuses more on stimulating the spasm to release it than based on meridians or chi flow. The best by far has been my physiotherapist who does some very painful massages, but it takes 5-10 minutes for him to work most of them out.

I have also found heat packs to be useful, I have a bag of seeds designed to be put in the microwave and it lasts for a while, anything really for that purpose would work. Wearing that for a couple hours each day has helped my shoulder and neck spasms relax, although not fully. I've found it nearly impossible to release spasms myself, there's definitely some technique to it.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Shoulder tension - acupuncture? - 09/06/06 10:19 AM

Quote:

My right shoulder has been very prone to tensing up lately and it is killing my wing chun game. Would acupuncture perhaps be appropriate to look into for therapy?

First I would go see a physio - it sounds far more up their alley. Do you stretch properly? That should alleviate most problems. Active Release Therapy is another option, but for an overview and diagnosis of the problem, I'd see the physio first.