Clean Bulking is very hard in college

Posted by: Eric4444

Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/29/06 11:18 PM

I thought it would be easier, but I was so wrong.
The school serves pretty decent food, but there is no time to eat it.
This first week I've been trying to experiment, and I've come up with something like this for my diet....

8:00 am
Weight Gainer (About 600 calories, 25 grams of protein, 125 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber, 20 grams of suger)

10:00am
Beef Jerky (We're not really allowed food in class, this is the best I can sneak in.

12:00
Tuna Sandwhich on whole wheat

2:00
All natural peanut butter on whole wheat

5:00
Dinner varies, tonight was Beef Lo Mein, yesterday was a hamburger, the night before was pizza

7:00
Pre cooked microwavable chicken breast. (this has about 250 calories, 25 grams of protein, 2 grams fat)

9:00
This snack varies, usually low fat yogurt

11:00
Casein Protein shake before bed.

I have of course succumbed to a can or two of soda and a cone or two of ice cream, but I'm only human.
I am against alcohol though and I don't drink, so that counts for something I think.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/29/06 11:55 PM

Dude, how much protein are you ingesting? Sure seems like a lot. Protein shake right before bed when you had protien for the past 4 hours? I'm pretty low on th knowledge scale of nutrition, but that seems a bit overboard to me. How much do you workout?

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 12:44 AM

I try to get about 1.5x my body weight in protein, which is about 270 grams.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 01:06 AM

Why on earth would you want to do a thing like that?

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 01:10 AM

Plus, the only thing that varies in your diet is your dinner and your late snack. You are going to get burnt out quicker than toast on napalm. There has got to be more variety you can put in there to mix it up. I'd go crazy on a diet like that, and I love tuna and peanut butter.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 01:59 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15849935/an/0/page/0#15849935
Quote:

Now how much protein does one need to take? The answer is not as much as you think you do. Non active people need .36 grams per pound of bodyweight per day. For an active person such as a weight lifter it is recommended that you need 0.6136 grams per pound of body weight per day. (i.e. 200 pound athlete would required 122.72 grams of protein per day). Remember more is not better when it comes to protein intake. In fact there are studies that show that excessive protein intake over extended periods of time can possibly seriously damage your liver or kidneys.

Posted by: Cord

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 03:23 AM

Quote:

I try to get about 1.5x my body weight in protein, which is about 270 grams.

Thats way over the top. You need 1.5 grams per kilo of lean body mass not total bodyweight .

This is why i disagree with 'bulking' as a concept- its cr4p, and just leads to excessive eating and sloppy dietary content in the name of 'Mass' . Give me a break

Look at that weight gainer you are taking. 600 cals per shake, 80 of those cals from refined sugar. Its like a liquified snickers bar- very healthy

Add ice cream, pizza, burgers, soda......

Yep, your gonna put on weight alright, but you sure as hell aint gonna be looking ready for a beach anytime soon.

step 1. Half the suggested amount of weight gain powder and mix it with low fat milk. This will reduce the sugar whilst maintaining nutritional value. when you have run out of this stuff, switch to a protein mix or a sensible MRP ('Instone' do a nicely balanced MRP).

Step 2. cut those chicken breasts in half, and have a nice big spoon of flax oil with half a chicken breast as your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks- dont be hung up on exact times. If you cant eat in class, have it just before class, 30 mins either way will make no difference.

step 3. Evening meal in the canteen- do they have a salad bar? or a 'healthy options', or even a vegetarian board?

If so load up on your greens/low fat options, and bring in some tuna/chicken to add yourself if needed. tip: many veg options are based around beans and lentils- this is protein heaven, no additions needed.

Step 4. Have your evening protein shake at 8pm, and drop the yogurt and the evening chicken breast- total overkill. you simply cannot process that much protein, especially at a time of day that your metabolic rate is slowing in preparation for sleep.

Homer Simpson 'Bulks', an athlete feeds their body properly.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 11:21 AM

My mistake, it's 8 grams of sugar in the shake.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 01:49 PM

That still doesn't change my suggestions on what to do with your eating. its way out of proportion at present, and you would do well to adjust it.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/30/06 09:20 PM

Let's see if today was any better.

Half that serving of weight gainer and a banana for breakfast.

A cup of low fat fruit yogurt for snack.

A 4oz plain chicken breast and a salad for lunch.

All natural peanut butter on wheat.

Ham, a baked potatoe, green beans, broccoli and water chestnuts for supper.

Before bed I'll take my protein shake, and I of course get my gallon and a half of water, fish oil, and flax seed throughout the day.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 08/31/06 06:36 AM

Thats more like it , make sure 'before bed' means 60-90 mins before bed for the protein shake. digest, then rest
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 09/01/06 12:45 AM

i am glad my metabolism is insanely fast and i dont have to worry about what i eat. its pretty hard for me to bulk up... i would like to gain another 5-10 pounds and still be muscular... but i pretty much eat whatever i want whenever i want and still look muscular and toned. genetics for the win

tuna, turkey, roastbeef, are some of my favorite foods you could try them eric

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 09/01/06 03:25 AM

Quote:

i am glad my metabolism is insanely fast and i dont have to worry about what i eat.

That may be the case from an aesthetic point of view, but a consistently unhealthy diet will do the same damage to your insides, and hamper your performance in just the same way as it would someone who is prone to putting on bodyfat.

Stick to eating healthy to ensure you live to enjoy your trim figure past 45 years old.

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 09/02/06 06:18 PM

Today's dinner was very tasty.

Pasta cooked with pieces of beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic and cucumbers.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Clean Bulking is very hard in college - 09/02/06 07:09 PM

Actually does sound good and I don't even like cucumbers.