drug question

Posted by: peter586

drug question - 08/15/06 04:42 AM

hey my mate has resently been training with me and training preety hard but he does marijuana now and then somtimes once a week, i have tryed to warn him off it but he doesent seem to want to quit,what effects will it have on his training for instance will it stop him from seing any results from his training and stuff like that? if anyone could give any information on marijuana and exercise i would apreciate it i have looked on the net but cant seem to find that kind of information. thanks alot.
Also he says when he smokes it it makes him want to exercise which is the effect it has had on me in the past i also read from a nutritionest who also gets the same effect and says it would make it beter for but only in moderation is this true??
Posted by: crablord

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 04:47 AM

apart from basiclly destroying your brain and turning you into a vegetable, marijuana is actually a really great substance! Oh yeah Id say it will have a massive impact on his training physically and mentally, and he will have the reflexes of a slab of concrete.
Posted by: Cord

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 09:43 AM

It makes you want to exercise!?!

i spent well over 15 years doing a pretty fantastic impression of Cheech n' Chong, and i can honestly say that all it ever motivated me and my many friends to do was drink tea, eat junk food, play video games and watch movies. The idea of being stoned when working out is crazy- it affects your coordination, makes you lethargic and actually acts as a pychological depressant when used systematicaly (if you are used to being 'high' then your unaltered state comes to be interpreted as 'low', thus it can be psychologicaly addictive)

The physical facts are that smoking it damages your lungs. The pro dope movement would have you believe it is less carcinogenic than cigarettes, but its not true (ask Bob Marley- oh no, you cant, he died of cancer ). Dope is inhaled and held in a different way to cigarette smoke, and so has been shown to damage the windpipe and entry area to the lungs more than the area that cigarettes are known to attack.

As well as the lung damage (great for CV fitness) and the depressive lethargy (always sure to make you sparkle in the gym), you have the dreaded 'munchies'. I have a good appetite, but the amount of food that you can eat when the 'munch' hits you is obscene. I would regularly think nothing of demolishing an 18" house special pizza (delivered of course) in one sitting, and find room for ice cream after a break! binging on convenience food does no favours for your physiology or your waistline.

whatever stance you take on marijuana, be it pro or con, and for whatever reasons, social or political, neither side of the argument could put forward a convincing argument for Weed as a performance enhancer.

There was a guy in the snowboarding event of the winter olympics who tested positive for marijuana and had his medal stripped from him. I always thought he should have been given extra credit for being able to do that stuff stoned!

It is true that there has been considerable 'breeding' of different marijuana strains over the years, and that there are differing strengths dependant on the amount of HTH (the active element of the plant). The effects are also more unpredictable in marijuana resin ('solid' or 'soap bar'), because those that make it (organised criminals) dont care about your wellbeing, and put anything from engine oil to excrement in the mix during its creation. ingesting the other ingredients in ignorance along with the marijuana can do anything from make it seem weak, to leave you crawling around the floor with a splitting headache working out which bit of carpet you are going to vomit on.

I would never advocate its use, but if it is your choice to use marijuana, I would recommend avoiding resin on the grounds of not knowing what you are really taking, making it far more dangerous.
Posted by: harlan

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 09:54 AM

I've never known anyone who smoked pot long term that ever did anything else long term. Not keep a job, a relationship, or a physical regimen. Unless, of course, they were supported by friends, family or a trust account.

20 years from now, check back with your friend.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 10:06 AM

I've never seen anyone drunk or stoned in a dojo/gym. hope I never do.

pot and the high that comes with it sucks. want to feel something incredible? do a marathon, go skydiving or have a menage a trois.

throw the drugs away, start living.

edit - oops...not addressed to you, harlan. lol

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 10:28 AM

I'm so staid. No drugs, no menage...ah well.
Posted by: schanne

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 11:00 AM

I have seen and smelled weed on plenty of people, it's funny because they must think that that last puff in the car on the way to training disapears before they step into the dojo. I haven't smelled it in years but when we did the class was extra hard that night.....brutally hard......I'm going to pass out hard....time to quite hard, everyone got the point. Personally I don't understand the point of getting high before class, although if I remember correctly it does make "Oreo cookies and milk" taste good!

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 11:16 AM

I'd like to expand on my previous post. My personal view is: whatever floats your boat...I just don't want to have to share the boat. I have a lot of personal issues on this from having to deal with others who have chosen a 'head' lifestyle.

Personally, as far as ALL drugs go and this includes pain medication, if I don't need it to sustain life I prefer to do without. I lived through the 'hippie decade', and have a 'do what thou wilt' attitude. (Or, as the Victorians used to say: 'Do what you want - but keep it out of the streets so you don't scare the horses.') There are folks with real ailments that are alleviated by drugs...and for them it is a necessary dependancy.

My personal preference if for mental acuity; clarity of perception is the one aspect of the martial arts that I think is the most important. And smoking interferes with this.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 11:46 AM

Quote:

There was a guy in the snowboarding event of the winter olympics who tested positive for marijuana and had his medal stripped from him. I always thought he should have been given extra credit for being able to do that stuff stoned!

This was our own Canadian Ross Rebagliati and was during the Winter Olympics in Nagano in 1998. I remember his interviews and said he was in a room with others doing it and he must of inhaled so the results were from second hand smoke. I don't believe that one bit but I do believe he "wasn't" stoned when performing but got "stoned" probably the night before. Many of the snowboarders that I have seen this seems to go hand and hand. Just as a note, he "did" get to keep the medal.

And on track with this thread ... I can't see how getting high would give you the feeling of working out???? I can see the other way as most people I know have or take it to relieve themselves and to come down and relax. The last time I tried it was when I was 19 and I have had no want to do it since. I never even did it big as drugs were just not my thing and did it more to fit in with the group I was with. Harlan has it right, very few people who are big into this really go anywhere. In fact 2 of my friends died being high and drunk while being passengers in the backseat of a car. The driver and the passenger survived but they did not. Previous to their deaths they really weren't doing much with their lives and probably why I had not hung around with them for many years. I'm moving ahead in life not standing still or regressing. People have to make their own choices and then live those lives ... but if they choose wrong then they have absolutely no reason to complain about their lives. You reap what you sow!
Posted by: Ayub

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 02:54 PM

Mmmmm drugs are bad, thats why you should do drugs, mmmkay.
Posted by: Derik

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 04:55 PM

Get high on kicks not drugs!

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 07:10 PM

thanks for your replys everyone i think il get my mate to read what people think and see what he says, and yes cord it makes me want to exercise i always feel like sparing doing weights and especialy hitting the heavy bag but still i dont think il smoke it often thou maybe once in a blue moon.

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 08:21 PM

Quote:

and yes cord it makes me want to exercise i always feel like sparing doing weights and especialy hitting the heavy bag

ask for your money back, good 5h1t should have the exact opposite effect

on a more serious note, reliance on a drug for motivation to do anything is a very dangerous thing. To demonstrate this point in in the confines of a legal drug analogy, many people drink alcohol to enhance a good time- there is no problem with that, but some rely on alcohol to make a time good, and that is destructive.
Its a subtle difference in many ways, but it is vital to know which side of the line you are on with any substance.

Re: drug question - 08/15/06 08:43 PM

haha your probly right, and on the more serious note i couldent agree more
Posted by: kurdt

Re: drug question - 08/16/06 09:44 AM

from first hand acounts with weed, i must say that as for now i still cannot see any changes in my training.. if ever there are changes then it would come from cigarretes.. im saying i promote weed or anything but then again i am 18 yrs old so chances are any changes to my body have still yet to surface..

all im saying is that just dont smoke everyday and you should still be ok i think.. but dont take my word for it im just enjoying it as much as i can before i stop

Re: drug question - 08/16/06 11:12 AM

Quote:

... but dont take my word for it im just enjoying it as much as i can before i stop

I don't get it, why stop????

If there is nothing wrong with it then continue it forever. Don't be a quitter, nobody likes a quitter. Now if you deem that there is something wrong with it and this is the reason that you will quit in the near future, then why not quit today? Why continue doing something that has no positive means for you and is frowned on by society, is a nasty habit, stinks and prolonged use can lead to health risks and addiction? Are people that immature or uneducated that they think that "it can't happen to them?"

I guess we just have to let each live their own life how they feel BUT if one of these schmucks complains just once how crappy their life is and that they can't get any breaks in life and that they have so many bills that they can't make ends meet ... I will stick my foot in their ass and turn it side ways!!!!!

EDIT: Forgive my straight forwardness. I have seen no good come from drugs, especially seeing two friends waste away in life and eventually die due to drugs and alcohol. This is a sore spot for me and I come off probably too harsh. Then I work at a place that I know many people use and the majority have problems in their lives and are not smart enough to see where many of their problems stem from. My apologizes to anybody that takes offense to this.
Posted by: kurdt

Re: drug question - 08/16/06 10:24 PM

no harm taken.. as far as i know is that this is just a phase in my life, who knows when ill stop it..
the sad truth is yes some people are unaware of its health risks and i have seen some people smoke everyday..
funny story, there was this one smoker who rolled with us for what around 10 mins and he just fainted and started barfing all over! afterwards he was all 'dude, ill just roll a j' i was happy that i am not in that kind of predicament!

i just make sure that i dont do it because it is a form of escape or something, that is, i beleive where the addiction comes from.. and yes intake can be controlled.. im planning to take a break off of it next week, let you guys know how long it goes
Posted by: styx

Re: drug question - 09/26/06 10:11 AM

Still on the break?

I actually have a friend who smokes a bit every time before lifting weights. I guess it makes it more interesting... Personally, I don't think marijuana usage fries your brain, makes you a retard, kills you or ruins your life unless you thoroughly abuse it. Moderate, occasional, responsible use is mostly harmless. Like having a beer without the liver damage. This is a personal viewpoint however, and I respect others as long as they're based on some form of scientific evidence or personal experience.

Fun fact: when Bruce Lee was obduced, they found remains of marijuana in his stomach.

Re: drug question - 09/26/06 11:36 AM

its funny
Quote:

Moderate, occasional, responsible use is mostly harmless

is there something out of place there? responsible and marijuana in the same sentence
Posted by: MattJ

Re: drug question - 09/26/06 11:38 AM

Good spot, CL. Smoking ANYTHING is stupid and harmful. Period.

Re: drug question - 09/26/06 02:45 PM

Quote:

Fun fact: when Bruce Lee was obduced, they found remains of marijuana in his stomach.

Yep, nothing like using a man that died at 32 years old to back up an argument about the safety of a drug
Posted by: Crash

Re: drug question - 09/26/06 07:57 PM

I wont pretend to be an expert on this but here's what I know, my older brother has been a HUGE pothead since his early teens, he's 22 now, you know what he does? nothing.
Posted by: TeaLSoNiC

Re: drug question - 09/27/06 04:37 AM

Quote:

apart from basiclly destroying your brain and turning you into a vegetable, marijuana is actually a really great substance! Oh yeah Id say it will have a massive impact on his training physically and mentally, and he will have the reflexes of a slab of concrete.

HAHAH what a tool.

Re: drug question - 09/27/06 04:46 AM

Post deleted by Cord.

Simply put, I will not host propaganda advocating illegal activity on this site.

Make your own choices in life, live by them, but do not try and paint the world of substance abuse as a bed of roses.

There are arguments both for, and against it for a reason, and having been on both sides at different times of my life,I understand where you are coming from, but this is not the place for that debate.
Posted by: bobafett

Re: drug question - 09/27/06 08:03 PM

if u wanna do something more healthy than working out i would say lay off the drugs. i know i cant tell you to do anything and expect you to listen. its your own life do what u need to. but u should understand the what drugs do to u. drugs arent just all fun and games.

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, nothing like using a man that died at 32 years old to back up an argument about the safety of a drug

They probably found vegetables in there as well. Are those dangerous too? Doctors concluded that marijuana had nothing to do with his death, so it's really quite irrelevant.

That's the last thing you'll hear from me in this thread. It always gets ugly when free thinkers speak up in threads like this.

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 02:22 PM

Styx -

If it's irrelevant as you say, why did YOU feel the need to mention it? And Bruce Lee died quite young, so your point is.......?

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 06:11 PM

Sorry to break my promise

Marijuana is irrelevant to his early death, that's what I meant. I only mentioned it as a fun fact, as I stated in my post. I do think it's quite interesting that Bruce Lee chose to use marijuana though, especially if you guys are right and occasional marijuana use ruins your life and makes it impossible to succeed as a martial artist. I would think Bruce Lee would be a good example of the opposite.

I also think censorship should be exercised carefully. Using U.S. law as an excuse is pretty lame, considering this is an international forum and thankfully some other countries has a more sensible drug policy (IMHO). Blatant, uninformed advertising is never a good thing, but an intelligent debate should be allowed. I don't know which category the censored post above fits in, as I never got to read it.

I'm sorry to start my posting career here on FA on the wrong foot by the way. Please don't remember me only as a drug advocating fiend the next few years

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 06:20 PM

I don't think that the law is the issue. Your argument of "Bruce Lee would be a good example of the opposite" is poor logic at best. I don't think the argument is neccessarily that "marijuana will ruin your life" - although I have personal experience that it does. Rather, that harmful behavior (smoking, etc) will certainly limit the capacity one has to reach their personal limits.

Not just the physically destructive part, but also the mental fog that being high causes. Neither are conducive to long term gain in martial arts study - or anything else, really. This is why you will not find much support for this behaviour from experienced members here.

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 08:49 PM

My main point is that there is a major difference between use and abuse. Marijuana abuse is definately harmful, as far as I can tell. Responsible marijuana use is not.

Lots of things people do aren't conducive to long term gain in martial arts study, but as long as they think the tradeoff is fair, they're going to keep doing it. Playing PlayStation games certainly isn't conducive to long term gain in martial arts study, and neither is having a few drinks on saturday night. The fact that you don't personally enjoy it shouldn't affect the freedom of speech on this board.

(christ, I'm coming off as a huge [censored] here, sorry )

Re: drug question - 09/28/06 11:37 PM

what do you mean responsible marijuana use? No matter how small your intake it does not have good effects, it may not have bad effects but it sure doesnt have any good ones. There is no responsible use, you use it once and you could become hooked on it and you are screwed. Responsible use is not using it at all.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 02:03 AM

I didn't want to wade into this matter but I will give my two cents ... why ... because I can.

Growing up I never thought I'd ever do drugs. Then in grade 12 I found I experimented on a few occassion because some of my friends were doing it. I wanted to fit in but I was in no way pressure to doing it. Well then I got a girlfriend and I realized I didn't really need to bother doing this stuff and hanging with these guys as hanging with my girlfriend was far more important. I lost track of some of these guys but kept in touch with a few ... and like me they never really had any interest any more in doing so.

A number of years later I'd catch up with all of these guys and sure enough they were still living the same lives they were before. They really had no driving force in them to accomplish things and weekends were all about getting drunk and high. It reminded me why I did not hang around these guys all of the time as they were a drain on me and to others. Then a number of years ago a few of them all drunk and high got into a car accident and two of my friends died. It is sad as the driver of the car was at fault, though he was more high then drunk and now he carries that burden forever. But the saddest thing of all is not just that these guys died is that they never did anything with their lives. It is like their lives had died already and this was just the final chapter. I pass by the graveyard a lot of times and can see their graves side by side underneath a tree. I miss them and think of them but I also thank my lucky stars I took a different direction in life.

I know a lot of people that do drugs though I don't personally associate with them but some of them are good people but I can honestly say the majority of these people seem to be missing something in their lives. Perhaps they know this as well deep down inside and why they do this so they can escape it. Doing drugs of any kind are just that, an escape ... and yes alcohol I include in this as well and I have had my share of alcohol so am as guilty as the rest. But I believe you can social drink and can do so legally and you don't have to hide it whereas drugs are illegal and are done behind closed doors plus screw more with your mind. Plus the majority of people I know who were pot type smokers also became cigarette smokers ... which is just the cherry on top.

Again my opinions nothing more and nothing less.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 03:28 AM

Sorry to hear that Dereck. At my school I know a lot of people that get high regularly. Marijuana does change you, There was this one friend I had called Harley who always got a's, did his homework and was never late. Then he started using drugs. Marijuana at first but that led him on to bigger things. He started failing all his subjects, and skipping school. Pretty soon he got expelled. Last year someone told me that he and 2 other people were killed in a car crash because he was driving while he was high. I may just be biased in this matter but I am fiercely against any form of drug use. Marijuana may not seem bad but it leads you on to worse drugs such as speed. Anyway thats just my opinion but I hope you take some notice.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 08:32 AM

do you realize to overdose on pot it takes some rediculous amount (like several pounds), while alcohol can be deadly only after a few beers (dehydration, alcohol posioning).

im just being a voice of reality here.. im not saying you SHOULD smoke, im saying before you omg thats illegal, its bad for you, just think about it first.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

just think about it first.

funny you should say that. How much of a percent of people killed by marijuana use are killed by overdose, not many. People arent killed by drinking, they are killed by drink driving. What do you think will happen if you smoke it a few times? you will become addicted and theres nothing you can do. You should be the one thinking about what you are posting.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 10:38 AM

Lots of tragic examples of marijuana ABUSE here. Sad reading indeed. I still don't think it's enough to call marijuana an evil drug. Of course abuse is a bad idea, and if you smoke 24/7 it can cause bad things to happen in your life. Of course driving while high and drunk is a bad idea. These are all good examples of irresponsible marijuana use. Responsible marijuana use is when you use it occasionally and recreationally. If you don't want to smoke it because of the detrimental effect on your lungs, you can eat it like Bruce Lee did. You'll have fun for a few hours, and will be perfectly normal the next day. I realize this may look like blatant drug advertising, but there is such a vast different between responsible use and abuse that I feel obligated to point out.

Yes, drug abuse can be harmful. This goes for all drugs, including marijuana, perscription drugs, alcohol etc. Smoking one joint with a couple of friends on a saturday night is not, and I would really like to see an independent study that proves otherwise.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 10:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

just think about it first.

funny you should say that. How much of a percent of people killed by marijuana use are killed by overdose, not many. People arent killed by drinking, they are killed by drink driving. What do you think will happen if you smoke it a few times? you will become addicted and theres nothing you can do. You should be the one thinking about what you are posting.

First of all, there are no reports of anyone dieing as a direct result of marijuana usage. None. And yes, while people are certainly killed in great numbers because of drunk driving, alcohol itself causes hundreds of thousands of deaths every year by itself.

And second, no, because marijuana is not physically addictive. If you have a weak psyche that easily gets psychologically addicted to things, you might want to think it through first and stay away. Most people are sensible enough to understand that chronic marijuana use/abuse won't lead to much good, and keep their use on an occasional basis.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 10:48 AM

Quote:

And second, no, because marijuana is not physically addictive.

Quote:

Most people are sensible enough to understand that chronic marijuana use/abuse won't lead to much good, and keep their use on an occasional basis.

You are an idiot.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:06 AM

Quote:

You are an idiot.

What? Where does this come from? I don't think name-calling is going to improve this discussion. I'm sorry you don't have the needed abilities to discuss this as an adult.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:17 AM

You are saying that nothing strikes you as odd about those 2 quotes?

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:23 AM

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Please explain.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:28 AM

you just said that marijuana wasnt addictive, and that "sensible" people kept their intake daily. Pure idiocy.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:29 AM

Quote:

im just being a voice of reality here.. im not saying you SHOULD smoke, im saying before you omg thats illegal, its bad for you, just think about it first.

WTF? Did you read your own post. It IS illegal in the US and it IS bad for you no matter where you are. That has got to be the most idiotic line of reasoning I have ever seen. Ridiculous.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:37 AM

I would like this thread to be locked or deleted, its not going anywhere, and personally I dont want all the people reading this to be influenced by idiotic posts such as his. Thousands of people read through these forums every day, some people might believe what hes saying. And I dont care whether he thinks its good or bad, thats not a good thing.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:39 AM

Quote:

you just said that marijuana wasnt addictive, and that "sensible" people kept their intake daily. Pure idiocy.

What? Please read my post again. According to Random House Unabridged Dictionary, the first definition of occasional is as follows:

occurring or appearing at irregular or infrequent intervals; occurring now and then: an occasional headache.

Where on earth did I mention daily?

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:42 AM

apoligies, you said "occasional" not "daily", which is just as bad.

Re: drug question - 09/29/06 11:51 AM

Sorry, but this argument has reached the nadir for me. Drug use is illegal and a health hazard. Period.