Colon cleansing????

Posted by: Mandolynn

Colon cleansing???? - 08/05/06 01:22 AM

Late night TV is filled with great advertisement, isn't it? You can get knives, food dehydrators, foot supports, but the most I've been seeing lately are ads about colon cleansing. They talk about people carrying 10-25 lbs. of build up. My first thought...uh, gross. Since I apparently have nothing better to do I went online to research what they are talking about, but it's hard to get a straight story. Google has been turning up page after page of new age medicine sites proclaiming how great these cleansing systems are, but I haven't found one western medicine site that says anything about anything. What do people here know about these detox programs?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/05/06 02:36 PM

Good grief.
Colonic irrigation/enema's or whatever you want to call them have been around for centuries. My brother in law swears by a coffe enema every 2 months, personaly, I just like to drink a latte every now and again.

They do say that you have allsorts of stuff coating your poop-shoot, and that red meat can stay in your colon for up to 10 years. Like Dennis Leary said, thats value for money

If you think sticking a tube up your butt and flushing yourself out with liquid will perk you up, then to my knowledge it will do you no harm. i would just prefer to increase the fibre in my diet and let things work themselves out without the discomfort of an internal A$$ jacuzzi
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/05/06 07:51 PM

Such language!

<--Cord's "jacuzzi"...eew.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/05/06 08:05 PM

Why not do it the other way? it would be much much healthier

and by "the other way" I mean to do the following:

eat oatmeal every morning
have a salad and only a salad for lunch
have a light dinner of yet more salad
snack on high fiber cereal throughout the day.

avoid all cheese, red meat, and other such colon slammers.

get your proteins from soy and nuts only

try that a for a week or two and you'll be feeling much better and all without the joy of having a garden hose up your business end
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/06/06 01:54 AM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/06/06 02:58 AM

Quote:

try that a for a week or two and you'll be feeling much better and all without the joy of having a garden hose up your business end

Good grief No.2

Given the choice of the above or the irrigation, go for the irrigation, at least you wont be compromising your nutritional needs in the process.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/06/06 04:50 AM

Years ago I read about this in one of the Men's Health Magazine. One of the editors went on a weekend to a camp where they do this. The graphic story of what came out and how he felt through the whole thing was incredible. When he left he had lost so much weight and felt so weak I just can't see doing this.

Years ago I had my bowels checked due to problems and I was not allowed to eat for over 24 hours. The night before the tests I was to take some "magic" pooper pills and drink this citrus pooper juice and let me tell you, five hours on the toilet was no pleasure. I cannot imagine getting filled up with liquids and then spilling them out. Rinse and repeating repeatedly. Can any body say BURN!
Posted by: Crash

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/08/06 07:07 PM

Since you asked a legitimate question check this out

http://www.healingdaily.com/

If your serious about colon detoxing then read EVERYTHING before starting a detox program!

Quote:

due to stress and diet, most Americans have many hardened layers of mucoid plaque. The healthy colon weighs about 4 pounds. One autopsy revealed a colon choked with 40 pounds of impacted mucoid plaque! A proper colon cleanse and detoxification program prepares your body for optimal health by removing the mucoid plaque.

just my opinion but I find that the less stress there is on your organs the better you perform on an athletic level.

good luck, hope all is well with your pooper!

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/09/06 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good grief No.2

Given the choice of the above or the irrigation, go for the irrigation, at least you wont be compromising your nutritional needs in the process.

lol contrary to popular belief, a 2 week vegetarian regime will not kill you

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/09/06 06:10 PM

Living on oatmeal and leafy salad for any length of time will leave you deficient in protein. Your body will then break down muscle tissue into its base amino acids in an attempt to recycle said amino's to make up the deficiency. This catabolic effect leads to an increase in toxins in the liver/kidneys. Detoxing is toxic.
Takes more than a plate of salad and a granola bar to susain a healthy vegetarian diet. i have no problem with omnivorous or vegitarian lifestyles- I do have a problem with poor nutritional balance being promoted as a healthy option.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/09/06 08:51 PM

a) you should still eat proteins. In my post I mentioned eating soy and nuts to maintain a proper level of protein. Another importang part of a purging diet is yogurt which is a source of protein as well.

b) I said salad, but I didnt mean a bowl of leaves. There is nothing wrong with filling it full of raw vegetables, fruits and nuts or whatever else you please as long as it isnt cheese and meat or bread products.

All it takes is a little bit of imagination to make a well balanced diet for one or two weeks that doesnt involve meat or processed foods. I'm sorry you thought I meant leaves and oats, but I did not. Perhaps I should have said high fiber, high roughage but I did not. Obviously one has to temper advice on a website with a bit of common sense.

Peas, soybeans, all other beans, oats, apples, bananas, berries, brocolli, carrots, green beans, zucchini, yams, potatoes (both with skins on), nuts, seeds, bran, and yogurt/unpastuerized milk are all acceptable parts of a purging diet.

Its silly to say you could not build a diet with the above ingredients that won't put you into a long term catabolic state. I disagree with you 100% that one would have more unbound toxins after a mere 2 weeks on such a diet.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/10/06 12:48 AM

Quote:

How is the above post remotely similar to what you have just written in your expanded version?

Where is the 'important' inclusion of yogurt?

Where do you clarify your definition of 'salad' includes everything but the kitchen sink?

it is unrealistic to make a lazy half a$$ed post with nothing but the vaguest detail and not be pulled up on it, and you have no reason to get snotty for me doing so- its my job to highlight unhealthy or potentialy bad advice on this forum- your first post was bad advice

Now my input has made you expand and detail what you meant to say, which was a the outline for a basic balanced vegetarian diet- not 'eat salad and salad and more salad'

People can read your posts, they can not read your mind. Post responsibly or not at all.

Cord out.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/10/06 12:43 PM

Doesn't regular exercise basically keep one 'regular'? Especially just plain walking?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/10/06 12:48 PM

*shivers from subject*

Quote:

due to stress and diet, most Americans have many hardened layers of mucoid plaque. The healthy colon weighs about 4 pounds. One autopsy revealed a colon choked with 40 pounds of impacted mucoid plaque! A proper colon cleanse and detoxification program prepares your body for optimal health by removing the mucoid plaque.

My understanding is that a high-fiber diet will preclude the need for "irrigations". I am happy with a bowl of shredded wheat in the morning, thanks.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/10/06 12:59 PM

Quote:

Doesn't regular exercise basically keep one 'regular'? Especially just plain walking?

Regular exertion aids peristalsis- contraction of the abdominal muscles helps 'massage' waste through the intestine- a bit like squeezing a tube of toothpaste

If one is, ahem, a little 'blocked' some moderate exercise can help get things moving again.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/11/06 02:22 AM

I agree. Since being a youth I have found the more active I am with exercise and sports, the more active my waste system is ... and is still true to this day. I can't really see a colon cleansing getting that much more out of me.
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/25/06 01:41 AM

I guess I should have specified my question a bit. I've heard about lots of people and celebrities doing the irrigation thing. Nasty. There are some things Usher shouldn't share, ya know! What I was really asking about are the non-butt tube kinds of programs, like the ones advertized on late night tv. The one that really started my wondering is at www.7dmc.com In the commercial they talk on all about mucous plaque and bulid up, but I've never heard of that before. Is it even real?? That's my real question. The only websites I can find that talk about "mucous plaque" are the websites that convinently sell products that rid you of it. Truth or conspiracy???

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/25/06 09:56 AM

Quote:

Is it even real?? That's my real question. The only websites I can find that talk about "mucous plaque" are the websites that convinently sell products that rid you of it. Truth or conspiracy???

Look at your own observation on this. Now think about if you really need anyone here to answer it for you.

A good amount of fibre in your diet, and eating well in general will take care of your waste pipes just fine.
Posted by: kman

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 09/13/06 07:00 PM

Check out healthcentral.com Ive heard the Dr discuss this topic on his radio show. The short version is they're preying on your fears with misinformation, and eat enough fiber. My personal opinion is that there's some Freudian displaced sexuality at work here. People forgeting ( or not ever knowing) where things (and what things) go in and out. K-

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 09/14/06 12:45 AM

You lost me on this one kman ... but don't go into any descriptions as the forum rules forbid talk of sexuality or any reference to it.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 09/21/06 12:22 AM

Funny, I have seen those commercials on both tv & radio. They got me to try it, as it sounded like it couldn't hurt. My Licensed massage therapist swore by it & her doctor said it couldn't hurt, as did mine. I tried Dual Action Colon Cleanse & felt it did the job. LOL
I did not suffer, nor was I held hostage to the throne.

I was diagnosed with a digestive/intensinal problem late 98/99. I was put on a fiber regiment program by my doctor. In short, I had to take fiber pills after breakfast & fiber powder after dinner. I had colon scopes done 2x & am due for another. The fiber & clon cleanse are much easier on the body then the chemicals you have to take to purge before the scope.
My illness has progressed & no I have a prescription medication that I take prior to breakfast & a prescription powder laxative I take at night. I still do the fiber, but not as much.
It was funny, those commercials, but they do make sense. I don't think that it would hurt to clean your self out, from time to time, maybe every 6 months or so. Always check with your doctor.

Eating better prevents problems. I am learning the hard way.
;(
Fruits & veggies
Posted by: trevek

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/13/07 01:46 PM

Dereck, I think I read that article (or a similar one) but I think the guy decided against the irrigation. He had to do a three day fast and take some detox potion and eventually started passing stones. After 3 days he was also getting headaches (I've heard of this happening to people on fasts before).

My favourite method is go for a weekend consuming nothing but pints of Guinness (and perhaps the odd curry). Not sure of the nutritional value but I think even Cord could be tempted.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/13/07 01:59 PM

ITFUnity,
with all the rectal activity, haven't you had piles yet? I'd have thought it was highly influential in growing some grapes.

Likewsie, if you are flushing your system with laxatives isn't there a danger of not retaining some of the nutrients from the food you are flushing?

Serious questions, as I'm not knowledgeable about these things (except, perhaps the piles).

General question, I read a book on Chi and Internal arts (hmm, maybe they rally meant 'internal') which lauded the use of irrigation (and had an address where to buy the kits, of course). It also suggested that pooping in the normal western toilet sitting position was unhealthy (and provided a diagram and contact details of a healthier pooing platform).

Any thoughts?

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/14/07 01:16 PM

My thought is JESUS I'M TRYING TO EAT MY FRACKIN LUNCH HERE, HUH?!

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/14/07 03:08 PM

so consider reading this thread a form of preplanning what you're going to do with your lunch later on.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/14/07 03:49 PM

Quote:

My thought is JESUS I'M TRYING TO EAT MY FRACKIN LUNCH HERE, HUH?!

(Insert long wet farting sound here)

Posted by: Viator

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/14/07 07:43 PM

Bleh, new age hippy crap. Home kits can range from putting you on what is esentially a high fiber diet to stupidity, ie to the point of necrotizing the intestinal lumen. IMO, as long as you're getting a good balance of roughage in your diet anyway, and you should be, they're not necessary.

As a premed student I've got to admit I wanna see what a 40 pound colon looks like though.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/15/07 04:53 AM

The problem with a lot of holistic "cleansing" techniques is that they don't have any "medically necessary" basis of use. They simply have "followers" that laud the practices and throw you into the mix with promises that they will make you live forever of somehow begin to actually have a life again (if you're sick).

I'm experiencing sciatica right now, with lots of leg pain and hip pain. I'm sure that the holistic crowd can come up with 50 different treatments that will "cure" this problem, but I know already what is medically possible, so it's a "tough sell". Chiropractic and acupuncture will help, but getting the bone structure back in place and the nerves blocked to stop the pain are really surgical techniques, not the "adjustment" and "relief" mode of technique used by those methods.

I Googled "colon cleansing" a few weeks ago when one of my friends was talking about it, and the results was ugly. A good colonoscopy would tell you whether or not you actually needed the holistic methods, and normally, if you have a high fiber diet, you're already "squeaky clean". Any time you start screwing around with the floura in your colon, you're asking for trouble later on. If you're constipated... use a good laxative. If you can't get that worked out, go to a doctor and get looked at before launching yourself into holistic methods that can cause as much harm as good.

Most people with colon problems simply don't drink enough water or eat enough vegetables and fiber foods. When the colon shuts down, you're "low sick"... so be careful before you jump in and start doing something that will make you sicker than you already are.

Try diet changes and water first.

I certainly don't discourage anybody from doing what's good for them, I'd just be careful who I let tell me medical information that could affect my well being. I don't usually use "miracle" cures, or buy "something I can't live without" from a salesman.

My youngest son had colon problems growing up, and the solutions there were simple. Water, fiber, and diet changes... and he had an impacted colon on several occasions. His body solved it's own problems... which should tell you something.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/15/07 09:19 AM

Quote:

The problem with a lot of holistic "cleansing" techniques is that they don't have any "medically necessary" basis of use. They simply have "followers" that laud the practices and throw you into the mix with promises that they will make you live forever of somehow begin to actually have a life again (if you're sick).

I'm experiencing sciatica right now, with lots of leg pain and hip pain. I'm sure that the holistic crowd can come up with 50 different treatments that will "cure" this problem, but I know already what is medically possible, so it's a "tough sell". Chiropractic and acupuncture will help, but getting the bone structure back in place and the nerves blocked to stop the pain are really surgical techniques, not the "adjustment" and "relief" mode of technique used by those methods.

I Googled "colon cleansing" a few weeks ago when one of my friends was talking about it, and the results was ugly. A good colonoscopy would tell you whether or not you actually needed the holistic methods, and normally, if you have a high fiber diet, you're already "squeaky clean". Any time you start screwing around with the floura in your colon, you're asking for trouble later on. If you're constipated... use a good laxative. If you can't get that worked out, go to a doctor and get looked at before launching yourself into holistic methods that can cause as much harm as good.

Most people with colon problems simply don't drink enough water or eat enough vegetables and fiber foods. When the colon shuts down, you're "low sick"... so be careful before you jump in and start doing something that will make you sicker than you already are.

Try diet changes and water first.

I certainly don't discourage anybody from doing what's good for them, I'd just be careful who I let tell me medical information that could affect my well being. I don't usually use "miracle" cures, or buy "something I can't live without" from a salesman.

My youngest son had colon problems growing up, and the solutions there were simple. Water, fiber, and diet changes... and he had an impacted colon on several occasions. His body solved it's own problems... which should tell you something.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/15/07 11:21 AM

Very nicely written Wristtwister.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/15/07 09:30 PM

I saw the title for this thread on the main menu and had to see what this was about. Interesting bit of conversation.

Honestly, my GI doctor told me if I felt I needed "cleaned" to just have a couple of beers. I consider coffee to be one of the best natural ways to stay regular and "clean".
Posted by: prettypretty88

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/22/07 05:57 AM

Advertising not allowed. advertising of Arse flossing products doubly not allowed.

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/23/07 07:32 AM

I find going on the mat at the local BJJ club wearing a "Gracies Suck" T-shirt cleanses my colon pretty rapidly.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/24/07 07:13 PM

My wifes co worker is on this program and she said you will be amazed at what comes out of you, check out the pics.

http://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html?osCsid=f9c4c18ecc304ba7de4178c53527aeee

I personally think just some good ol psyllium husk will do the colon good.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/24/07 07:35 PM

Wow. That actually looks like it's tearing the intestines themselves right out of the body.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/24/07 07:46 PM

Who knows how "real" the pics are but like i said my wifes co-worker is on it and she has had the same effects.

When i do my yearly fast on about the third or fouth day i release some weird stuff too and i know that that stuff has been in there for a while.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/25/07 03:38 PM

Maybe we should have a thread called "proud of my ca-ca" and have everyone lay it out on the comode tops and take pictures...

Oh, wait... we only have to look at the Colonix ads. They've done it for us...

Not only in bad taste guys, but disgusting...
That's hardly a sales tool for the product, in my opinion. A simple description such as "rids the body of waste that does not empty from the colon normally" would be sufficient.

One of my friend's wife had to have colon surgery a couple of years ago, and they removed food that had been in her system without digesting for over a year. Luckily, he didn't take snapshots of it and hang it up with the kid's pictures.

Colon cleansing is important, but it isn't something that's designed for public display. It's more of a operation...

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/25/07 05:21 PM

there is a site called 'rate-my-poo' but even I am too delicate to put the address...
Posted by: Burnsie

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/29/07 11:28 PM

Quote:

My wifes co worker is on this program and she said you will be amazed at what comes out of you, check out the pics.

http://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html?osCsid=f9c4c18ecc304ba7de4178c53527aeee

I personally think just some good ol psyllium husk will do the colon good.

ok..that's absolutely disgusting...can that stuff really come out of one's arse? Is anyone on here a medical professional that can comment on the validity of this stuff? I hope that the 10cup spinach salad I've been having at lunch is sufficient.

That should get fantastic ratings on the rate my poo website.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/30/07 06:28 AM

Quote:

One of the editors went on a weekend to a camp where they do this.

What ever happened to roasting marshmallows?

Somewhere there was some money to be made I'm thinking. Go for it if this is what you're "into". Sounds "new-agey" to me as well but who knows, there could be something to it.

Of course, people COULD just watch what kind of food they eat and control the portions. My bet is that over time, the body will take care of itself with that proper diet.

-John

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/30/07 07:55 AM

Check this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51949

Opinions seemed to be that the cleansing product itself was creating those disgusting masses.

Shredded wheat it is, folks.
Posted by: Burnsie

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 08/30/07 09:37 AM

That's what I've concluded from doing a bit of internet research.

One guy suggested this experiment - put some Metamucil in a glass with some water and leave it overnight. It'll turn into a gel that will come out in the form of the glass. Both Metamucil and the colon cleansing products' primary ingredient is psyllium fibre.

Now I guess that if you take a crapload (pardon the pun) of psyilium it will basically form into a gell and come out looking like a parasite from a sci-fi movie.

On the other hand...I would imagine that it would be effective in cleaning out the colon as well...kinda like a squeegie. The colon cleansing may help clean you out a bit, but it seems like that nasty arse monster in the photos is created by the product itself.
Posted by: zugbunnie

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 09/21/07 01:40 AM

well then you should check out www.zug.com and their article about colon cleansing...

http://www.zug.com/pranks/colonic/

lemme know what you think too... comments? suggestions? advice? how do you find it?

thanks! later
Posted by: senseijack

Re: Colon cleansing???? - 09/21/07 12:22 PM

don't they have a sort of "dental Floss" for this?