Sugar free candy

Posted by: MattJ

Sugar free candy - 08/03/06 11:46 AM

I tried some last night. While it tasted very good (I couldn't really tell it from the original stuff), about an hour after I ate it, I had massive stomach distress. Bloating, pressure and wind of foghorn or perhaps F5 variety. Pink bismuth calmed it somewhat, but my stomach it still doing loop-de-loops now.

No more sugar-free for me. That stuff is EVIL.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/03/06 11:52 AM

I don't think I have every had sugar-free candy. I'm not a candy person so very rarely eat it. Now chocolate ... don't get me started.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/03/06 12:19 PM

Matt...read the directions. I believe the small writing on the bag said 'one piece'...not the whole bag!

Sugar Free candy contains Maltose, and other substitutes that will give you horrible cramps, and keep you in the loo all night.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/03/06 01:22 PM

LOL @ Harlan. The bag does say 'do not eat more than 1 serving for the day' (4 peices). I think I had 7 or 8?

*pauses to run to the WC*
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/03/06 01:27 PM

Like you need candy to give you gas. Rumor is you are full of hot air and this is simply a relief valve.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/04/06 01:58 PM

You know...I used the wrong word. Not 'maltose'...but 'malitol'.

More info:

http://www.webshopemporium.com/lowcarbsugaralcohols.htm
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/04/06 02:01 PM

I've had the best luck with the sugar free candy made by Rustle Stovers, and as far as I'm conserned, its the best tasting variety out there. As harlan mentioned though, you do have to be careful how much you eat, especially at first. I used to have this all the time without problems when I was doing a strict atkins diet. Now I just eat whatever the heck I want and train 5 nights a week.

Laura
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/12/06 12:26 AM

Quote:

I've had the best luck with the sugar free candy made by Rustle Stovers, and as far as I'm conserned, its the best tasting variety out there. As harlan mentioned though, you do have to be careful how much you eat, especially at first. I used to have this all the time without problems when I was doing a strict atkins diet. Now I just eat whatever the heck I want and train 5 nights a week.

Laura

My wife is a type 2 Diabetic so we have sugar free stuff around the house all the time. You have to watch the stuff with Splenda it will make you gas up quick. I would agree with Rustle Stovers sugar free as being one of the best out there. We have a Rustle Stovers outlet store 30 miles from our house. A small company here in St. Louis called Bissingers has the best hands down.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/14/06 08:39 AM

sugar free candy is a strange idea, you would think that they would be forced to add even worse chemicals into it to make up the sugar taste wouldnt you? And I'd say itd be hellishly expensive. But i could be wrong
Posted by: alphawolf

Re: Sugar free candy - 08/16/06 03:22 AM

I may be one who thinks long-term, but i do not EVER eat sugar free candy, if i eat candy once every 3 or 4 months i dont mind a little sugar. I do not know much about splenda, but i do know that aspartame is an ingredient found in most diet coke and "sugar" free things. Do a search on aspartame on google and you will see why i opt not to have any of the stuff. since the effects are likely cumulative, it can cause cancer over a long period of time.
Posted by: migo

Re: Sugar free candy - 09/03/06 04:55 AM

Licorice extract is great sugar free candy if you like the taste of it.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Sugar free candy - 09/04/06 07:16 AM

Same here - I really don't care for candy/sweets, and the few times a year I do, I indulge in super-expensive fancy dark chocolates. And only a small amount - a little goes a very long way. I also make boozy truffles around Christmas time to give away as gifts and always have my "test half truffle" of 3-4 different kinds ;-)
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Sugar free candy - 09/08/06 03:32 AM

Quote:

I tried some last night. While it tasted very good (I couldn't really tell it from the original stuff), about an hour after I ate it, I had massive stomach distress.

Matt i only have one suggestion but it may solve your problem. Take it out of the wrapper first.