Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils

Posted by: MXChic06

Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/18/06 09:00 PM

This probably has been posted a thousand times, but I'll post it up anyway. I tend to be a health nut. I stay away from all the processed foods I can, I don't eat at many fast food resturants and all that but anyway, I like to try and go about supplying my body with all the vitamins and minerals it needs, the natural way fruits, veggies etc. But of course not everyone, including myself, eat exactly as we should and must take a few pills. I just wanted to list some key vitamins to consider when buying them.
Calcium- Mineral know to build bones and teeth and maintain bone strength
Vitamin A- Essential for vision, growth, and healthy skin. Help reinforce immune system against colds, flu and infections of the kidney, bladder and lungs. DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN THE DAILY REQUIREMENT! (use that advice for really any vitamin or mineral)
Vitamin E- An antioxident, aids in neurological and reproductive development. Promotes healthy skin and hair.
Vitamin C- An antioxident essential for vision, growth and healthy skin. Promotes healing
Vitamin B3- Known to improve circulation and reduce choletsterol in blood. Helpful in maintaining healthy skin and digestive system
Vitamin b5- Acts as a factor in metabolizing carbohydrates. Helps in the utilzation of vitamins.
Vitamin B6- Maintains sodium and potassium balance.
Vitamin B12- An amino acid required for proper digestion, obsorbtion of food and sythesis of proteins also precents megalblastic anemia helping to form red blood cells also helps regulate and maintain a healthy heart and circulatory system (I take one 500mcg pill everyday good if your taking protein shakes)
L-Caritine- An amino acid which boosts energy
Vitamin K- Essential for blod clotting
Iron- Helps in utilziing energy, blood clotting, muscle function, delivering oxygen, the formation of healthy red blood cells and healthy hair and nails. ESPECIALLY DO NOT OD ON IRON!
Potassium- An essential in every workout plan. Helps clot blood, and prevents/helps with muscle cramps.
Fish oil- provides dietary support for joint health along with DHA and EPA, these Omega-3 fatty acids help support the cardiovascular system. EPA, which is important for the circulatory system DHA, which is vital for a healthy heart and important for vision and brain cell functions (I also take one of these everyday)
Flax seed oil- contains fiber, protein, lignans and fatty acids that are vital to every cell, tissue and organ (also take one of these)
Borage oil- contains essential fatty acids that provide dietary support for normal healthy blood lipids and helps to support the cardiovascular system.
Coconut oil- Helps regulate Cholestorol, helps Immune system, and promote intestinal health
My advice try and get as much out of foods and even liquids as you can. If not try a multivitamin or individual pills. BE CAREFUL if you try and take both, many vitamins are deadly if you take too much! Hope this may help someone!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/18/06 09:16 PM

Nice post, MXChic06. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 05:32 AM

no problem with the information posted. However, it is important to remember that, if taking as individual supplements, it becomes very easy to throw your vitamin/mineral balance out, and cause just as much harm as a deficiency through poor eating habits.

a multi vit/min, with the nutrient content pre balanced in the correct ratio is enough for anyone with a remotely sensible diet. EFA's, and joint aids such as cod liver oil and glucosamine are also a good idea- especially in the physicaly active.

As well as your diet being healthy, you should also look to have a diverse diet to ensure that all nutrients are taken in by proxy. Do not become reliant on one fruit and/or vegetable over others. A good rule of thumb with fruit and veg is to aim to have 3 different colours per day. A colourful diet is a healthy diet- unless the colours concerned are M&M's
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 07:33 AM

Taking vitamin supplements can be dangerous if taken incorrectly so I find it fitting to post this link here, which contains a great deal of information on when to take vitamins and when they can be unsafe.

http://www.physicians-background.com/vit.html

Not trying to be a scaremonger here but personally, I have read and heard (from a doctor) a lot of negative side effects and health risks from taking vitamin supplements so stay away and just try and get enough fruit and veg. It cant be natural to take a vitamin C tablet (some contain the same amount of vitamin C as eating no less than 10 oranges).
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 10:22 AM

Quote by Cord -

Quote:

unless the colours concerned are M&M's

DAMN YOU CORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 10:27 AM

or skittles or smarties come to think of it
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 10:59 AM

I was told to eat coloful food, as long as it's not the meat that I'm eating that is colorful.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 11:47 AM

Good Joel, because green meat is a bad thing.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 11:56 AM

I disagree with the emphasis on not taking more than the recommended dose. It gets a bit silly one dose is supposed to be just right for everyone, right down to the microgram. Activity levels, body mass, hormonal profiles etc. all determine how much of a micronutrient you'll require.

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 12:11 PM

Working out doesn't burn vitamins and minerals. And it's been proven that overdosing of certain elements can be bad for you.

If anything, go to a certified nutritionist and get a medical opinion.

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 02:39 PM

Quote:

Working out doesn't burn vitamins and minerals. And it's been proven that overdosing of certain elements can be bad for you.

If anything, go to a certified nutritionist and get a medical opinion.

Exactly! Too much Iron can cause everything from your hair to fall out, kidney problems, and even kidney failure. Oh and yes I try and get as much from fruits and veggies as possible. I think it's the healthiest route!
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 04:31 PM

Soylent Green? ;-)

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/19/06 05:48 PM

Quote:

Soylent Green? ;-)

That was a great movie, well for the 70's lol
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/20/06 11:00 AM

Quote:

Well, it doesn't exactly 'burn' vitamins and minerals (if by that you mean using them for energy), but because of all the chemical events triggered by exertion, active people require more of certain micronutrients than sedentary people. It's well-documented and well accepted. I don't have time to dig up references right now, but here are a few to get you started:
http://www.nap.edu/nap-cgi/skimit.cgi?recid=2094&chap=137-172
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...l=pubmed_docsum

Not to mention the obvious fact that big people will need more micronutrients than small people. All I'm saying is that one shouldn't accept the RDAs as dogma.

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/20/06 12:19 PM

But self-diagnosing your own daily limits would be dangerous and stupid, in my opinion.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/20/06 10:24 PM

True. Although we shouldn't take the recommended dosage as the dogma, it is the next best thing we can do. Like joel says, how else would you know your own daily limits of vitamins?

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/21/06 12:16 AM

The RDA is a baseline, by aiming for those levels, no one will end up dangerously over or under their requirements. If you have the money and desire to undergo medical observation and blood testing to find out exactly what you need, and then the clinical willpower to ensure your diet is milligram perfect, then my hat is off to you. I am just going to take a one-a-day and eat some fruit and veg, but I am lazy
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 06/21/06 03:44 AM

Ditto. Though if you're in tune with your body, you kind of "feel" what you need. Especially when you crave certain foods (like foods that are high in protein, vitamin B or C, etc). But the best way to deal with that is to eat the food and not take pills...
Posted by: Rachelbuz

Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 03/10/09 05:32 AM

Vitamins and minerals are very good for health they add beauty to our body!! Eating For Beauty — known as the mineral directive principle..Even with a natural raw and living food diet, we have to concentrate a balance by choosing foods that complement each other.
*link deleted*
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 03/10/09 08:39 PM

hi,

Eating a balanced diet with OccasionaL supplements is a wise course I find. Some food best raw, some cooked, oddly frozen peas have increased bioavilability of present vit.
*Vit A is Toxic, Bata-carotene is the non-toxic precursor (eat 1/4 of the liver of a polar bear and you die, just cool FYI). Some forms of Iron found in common multi-vit are also toxic. Vit B-12 is notoriously hard to absorb, if one is vegan or such Sub-Lingual B-12 Occasionally is better.

1.)B vitamins are water soluble and if the body has enough are simply making ones pee cool yellow (B-12 is stored but only ~ 2-3g, that actually can last a year or more), kinda like too much "creatnine" or what ever that expensive stuff people use, got enough-flush $$$$ down the drain

2.)After working for Radiologists I've seen the damnedest things...in the human colon (or...shudder...rectum), good example on plain film abd/pel MULTI-Vitamins undigested about to pass...out. So a liquid multi as an occasional supplement, is good idea, da??

3.) Vitamins and minerals are used either to make amino acids our body cannot (Beans and Corn, still need meat type product for B-12 and sunlight for vit D) as well as being essential in the Krebs cycle and ...well, pret'near everythin else.

4.)if one is concerned, or overly tired or losing weight.... GO TO A PHYSICIAN, a CBC, basic metabolic and some real cool new blood cancer markers might be needed, western medicine paired with holistic eastern approach.

Now...go eat an apricot (not the pit tho, has cyanide in it)
Posted by: Rachelbuz

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 03/17/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

hi,

Eating a balanced diet with OccasionaL supplements is a wise course I find. Some food best raw, some cooked, oddly frozen peas have increased bioavilability of present vit.
*Vit A is Toxic, Bata-carotene is the non-toxic precursor (eat 1/4 of the liver of a polar bear and you die, just cool FYI). Some forms of Iron found in common multi-vit are also toxic. Vit B-12 is notoriously hard to absorb, if one is vegan or such Sub-Lingual B-12 Occasionally is better.

1.)B vitamins are water soluble and if the body has enough are simply making ones pee cool yellow (B-12 is stored but only ~ 2-3g, that actually can last a year or more), kinda like too much "creatnine" or what ever that expensive stuff people use, got enough-flush $$$$ down the drain

2.)After working for Radiologists I've seen the damnedest things...in the human colon (or...shudder...rectum), good example on plain film abd/pel MULTI-Vitamins undigested about to pass...out. So a liquid multi as an occasional supplement, is good idea, da??

3.) Vitamins and minerals are used either to make amino acids our body cannot (Beans and Corn, still need meat type product for B-12 and sunlight for vit D) as well as being essential in the Krebs cycle and ...well, pret'near everythin else.

4.)if one is concerned, or overly tired or losing weight.... GO TO A PHYSICIAN, a CBC, basic metabolic and some real cool new blood cancer markers might be needed, western medicine paired with holistic eastern approach.

Now...go eat an apricot (not the pit tho, has cyanide in it)

Hi,

I agree that balanced diet is absolutely true in helping us our body to be healthy.

In addition to the above there are a large number of foods that combine low calories, delicious taste, and excellent negative calorie properties. Include these foods in your daily meals. You will get maximum benefit if you eat them in raw natural form, with little butter or oil.

We get more energy if we take more intake of vitamins and minerals to our meal

Thanks
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 02/18/10 03:14 AM

Now, I don't know what to do about Calcium after reading about the harmful effects of Vitamin C.
I stopped drinking milk one day and I haven't been able to drink it again (it's a long story). I started drinking soy milk for Calcium instead , but I stopped that because I don't trust soy anymore. I drink fortified almond milk off and on, and although it tastes good and it's fortified to contain as much added vitamins and minerals that milk naturally has, it's not something I've been able to make into a habit.
I'm worried about osteoporosis later in life and I started taking Calcium pills. I was told that Calcium pills are bad and they'll stick to my bones in clumps, so I stopped that too. I thought I had found a solution when I began drinking Calcium-fortified orange juice. Now I see that too much vitamin C might be harmful.
On the orange juice carton, it says something like, "Made as a substitute for people who don't drink milk."
But that seems wrong. I'd have to have 3 glasses of orange juice to equal the recommended nutritional intake of Calcium per day, but I'd get 300% of the Vitamin C RNI! That's just crazy.

Any suggestions about Calcium? I know that certain vegetables contain quite a bit of Calcium, but I think I'd have to eat about 8 cups a day which I cannot do.
Posted by: hope

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 02/18/10 09:55 PM

This site has an extensive list of foods containing calcium and Vitamin D, with the amounts. You won't have to eat 8 cups of anything.

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68e.stm

I will be 50 this year, and have had my bone density tested as well above average. Even though I'm a card-carrying SWC (skinny white chick) and therefore at risk of osteoporosis, I have never "counted milligrams" of anything, but eat an extremely varied diet. On advice of my doctor, I have been taking a daily calcium supplement since I was in my 20s; I also get a lot of weight-bearing exercise. All told, it seems to work fine.
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Benefits of certain Vitamins & Minerals & Oils - 02/18/10 10:31 PM

Hey there, Hope,

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I eat a lot of everything anyway, so I can pretty much eat normal things and get the Calcium I need based on the list of foods from the link, and from the training I do.

I get paranoid about lacking nutrients sometimes - many times. I should stop.

Thanks again,

Alicia.