Gastric problems and diet

Posted by: MattJ

Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 04:13 PM

Have there been any studies on relative rates of constipation or other gastric distresses (acid reflux, etc) for different diet types?

Say someone was following a higher protein diet, what might they expect compared to a higher-carb diet? Or a vegetarian diet? Anything that is commonly done to alleviate symptoms (if any) or preclude them?

Why do I ask? NO REASON, JUST CURIOUS.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 04:26 PM

Don't know Matt but I do know that the healthier I am and the more protein I take in then the more I crap ... and I mean 3+ a day. Sorry ... maybe too much information.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 04:38 PM

High protien diet=constapation
High carb diet=constapation
High fiber diet=quick run to the bathroom.
Onions=heart burn
Jalapeno/Habanero pepper diet="Honey I'm in the bathroom, please bring me a few ice cubes"!
Vegetarian=slow walk to the bathroom.
Bean diet=fart every step you take, no bathroom needed.
Garlic diet=no sparring or grappling partners available?

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 04:54 PM

LOL @ Schanne's Jalapeno sysnopsis. Pretty close for me too, and I love spicy food.

I have found that for me, a high fiber diet (strawberry shredded wheat ROCKS!) keeps everything moving smoothly. But I have been lax about getting enough fiber for a while.

Oddly enough, water intake seems to have no bearing whatsoever.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 06:20 PM

People tend to be pretty consistent in what they like, and stick with it. Getting a balanced diet is important to solving any kind of gastric distress, and changing the foods that you eat is also important.

All "anything" diets (fiber, carbs, etc.) cause as many problems as they solve, but you can help yourself out by working out a routine to change the foods you eat, and don't punish your insides with "just one flavor". Third world countries live off one diet all the time, and it shows in the disease rates and poor general health of those populations.

You have the ability to eat a "cyclical" diet of different foods that will solve most of your problems. A balanced diet is most probably the key to solving all these problems.

Posted by: JKogas

Re: Gastric problems and diet - 06/09/06 11:11 PM

We've had guys eat Taco Bell before rolling and that's NEVER good....

-John