whey protein after cardio workout?

Posted by: elcuentos

whey protein after cardio workout? - 04/20/06 07:28 PM

Can i gain muscle weight if i do some excersises at home like running or boxing some pushups and stretching and then drink a whey protein milkshake?
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 04/20/06 11:35 PM

You won't "gain" in the traditional sense of bodybuilding/weightlifting; by running or doing pushups, you're just not breaking down the muscle fibers in the same way as heavy resistance training.

That being said, there's huge value in consuming a PWO shake after any type of exercise. I routinely down a PWO containing skim milk, whey protien, frozen fruit, creatine, and dextrose after my TKD class. Since I don't lift like I used to, I've slimmed down a fair amount, but my body still needs the fuel to recover.

Think of it as "refueling and repairing"---preparing you for your next bout of training. Your muscle tissue needs the protein and glycogen after training, and there's no better way than a PWO.

You CAN gain weight just from the extra caloric intake, but you won't pack on a lot of lean muscle from that type of workout and some PWO shakes.
Posted by: Cord

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 04/21/06 12:37 AM

Elcuentos,

posting the same question in more than one forum is against the rules of the site. i have answered this question for you in the strength forum, and locked that thread as this one is in the more appropriate forum.
Cord.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 05/21/06 01:03 AM

You really won't gain much muscle, but try adding some anaerobic strength exercises, in a circuit training format. 15-20 reps per set. That'll add some muscle.
Posted by: gekesaidaijon

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 06/02/06 07:26 AM

Sadly there is far far too much emphasis placed on the consumption of protein after exercise, regardless of what type of exercise has taken place. Sure protein is required to repair celular damage. But the amount of protein in these shakes is far to much for the body to assimilate.

I went to a talk by Professor Rennie from Glasgow University concerning protein synthesis. The take home message was not to bother with protein shakes of any description, just take sufficient in your regular diet. He reviewed in great detail much of the work he and colleagues have carried out over a number of years, all pointing to a far far lower intake of protein than that recommended by the companies pushing these drinks. Don't believe the hype (just because there is a pic of a steroid freak doesn't make the science right).

These companies push their products and fund 'science' to promote it furhter. Professor Rennie's work is unbiased and unrestricted by commercial interest.

While there is some truth in the research and advice from these companies it is better and cheaper to avoid there protein shakes the body simply cannot assimilate such huge intakes of protein.

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 06/02/06 10:58 AM

The average amount of protein the body can assimilate/utilize in a single sitting is 30g. Is the rest wasted? Nope.

Protein-->Gluconeogenesis-->Glucose-->Glycogen, to replenish liver and skeletal muscle stores.

While not the most effective form of glycogen replacement, it exists, nonetheless. The body does a pretty damn good job of using whatever it's given.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 06/02/06 11:31 AM

I've read that the body converts excess protein into fat.

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 06/02/06 11:52 AM

Quote:

I've read that the body converts excess protein into fat.

Of course it will. Having a protein shake after watching 6 hours of bad Steven Segal movies will give you the same physique as him.....

...The body will use what it needs, when it needs it. If it doesn't need it? Fat stores.

Timing is everything, and post-workout, your bodies needs protein and carbs for repair/refueling
Posted by: White_Fox

Re: whey protein after cardio workout? - 06/16/06 06:35 PM

I read that right after a workout you should have a snack of 1 to 4 protein to carb ratio to to help your muscle recovery with a small about of healthy oil hemp or flax, Than 1 hour or so after your workout have a protein shake,
Your body cannot store excess protein so it leaves through your urine so you can dehydrate your muscles if you have too much protein right after a workout, Timing seems to be fundamental to really get the best benefit out of your diet.
I was reading this in a book called Thrive written but a Triathlon athlete Brendan Brazier