Treats and their frequency

Posted by: Cord

Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 02:25 PM

We spend so much time on here talking about what we avoid, and how sugar and fried food are like bungee jumping of a 6 foot wall. So as a change of tack, what are your favourite treats, and how often do you allow yourself to have them?

I will go first.

1x Nutrageous bar. 1 every month. Pure Joy

I then also have one other treat in the month- either savoury or sweet depending on which I fancy at the time.

Sweet options

Tub of ice cream (HD cookies and cream, or B&J's Oh my Apple Pie being regular examples)

1 box of 6 glazed donuts

Savoury options

Full indian meal (onion bhajee, mushroom rice, chicken tikka, prawn phuree and a keema naan)

Chinese meal (crispy aromatic duck, special fried rice, chilli shredded chicken, won ton soup)

Pizza (largest size available) (pizza hut stuffed crust super supreme with extra cheese and spicy beef, or domino's full house on a dominator base).

So, there are my weaknesses. I do not have a fixed date of the month when i have my treat, I know its the day when I am living it. i have been known to have my treats on the last, then first day of the month, making 2 days in a row, but thats fine, its doesnt break the rules

So 'fess up, what are your weaknesses, and how do you incorporate them into your healthy lifestyle?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 02:38 PM

Favorite treat: Halvah...I can't resist the stuff. Chocolate as well. If it wasn't for the whining of my brats on 'holidays' I would never buy the stuff.

Monday through Friday I'm never home...so it's easy to 'be good'. But the weekends are another matter...
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 02:43 PM

Chocolate and peanut butter, preferably together.

mmmmm reeses peanut butter cups...... drool. Thanks alot. There goes my diet. grumble...mmmmmm....grumble

Laura
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 06:34 PM

Occasional glass (or two) of red wine during the week

Since BBQ season is just around the corner, I'm sure a few brew will make their way into my life...

Dark chocolate. I'm talking the 80% cocoa stuff. Very rarely do I wander down this path....highly addicting for me.

Around the firehall, we get a lot of people dropping off pies and icecream, pizzas, doughnuts, etc. as a "thank-you". Little do they know they are killing off their local firefighters slowly. I find my willpower weakest at work.

Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 07:20 PM

I love chinese food or indian food, thai food is also a great option.

All of these resteraunts cost a decent amount of $ so of course you can't go there every day hence the "treat"

I ussualy have a few "healthy choice" candy bars around, even though they are probably not that healthy..
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 07:55 PM

Ahhh...sweets...my only weakness in life....how i love sweets . I eat sweets everyday! i cant help it .
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 08:00 PM

I don't know how anyone could ever limit treats to once per month!

My Treats:
-Beef Donairs (from one particular place)
-Southwestern Potato skins from BP (chicken, BBQ sauce, garlic dressing, bacon, and cheddar)
-Sweet and sour pork, or beef and Chinese mushrooms and
prawn fried rice
-Vegetable pakora
-Beef Sukiyaki
-Mexican food in general is amazing

-Solid milk chocolate

mmmm....food...

Frequency: once a week at least - more during high stress times.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/19/06 08:08 PM

Candybars are a treat a get every once in a while. I try to stick to about one or two a month, but once you have one, it's very easy to have another. Also when I buy a pack of dark chocolate to mix into my trail mix, the leftovers usually disappear before I have to make another batch. I wonder how that happens...

Peanut butter is my big one, though. I like Jif, the stuff with all the additives and sugar and crap, but it tastes GREAT!! I'll slop a big glob on my bread and sometimes I'll have two sandwiches a day. I don't know if it's all that bad, but I can eat a lot of it.

My problem is that if it's there in the house or in front of me, I'll just eat it, and eat if fast. Of course that pertains to sweets and chocolates, not brussels sprouts.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/20/06 01:54 AM

Let's start with eating out (restaurants ). I actually hate going out as nothing does it for me ... except once and a while I like going to Red Robins as they make the best Mozza and Mushroom Burger plus they have these steak fries that are unlimited.

Prior to starting working out over 8 years ago I used to have dessert with lunch, snack when got home, supper and snack at night. I actually eliminated dessert for years but eventually I came back. There is a certain brand of Chocolate Chip cookies that I love and can eat a whole bag but I will control myself and just have 3 or 4 at a time with milk after supper. Not all of the time but if they are in the house then I will demolish them.

I love chocolate and the darker the better. There is a burnt almond dark chocolate chocolate bar that I love. And yesterday my wife had a Hershey's chocolate covered chocolate marshmellow that I made short work of.

I love ice cream but don't have it very often, maybe 4 times a years ... as I am lactose intolerant. And when I do eat ice cream (or drink milk), I cannot follow it up with pop as the carbonation does short work of my stomach. However I don't really care for pop ... though once and a while I will steal some sips of my wife's Diet Dr. Pepper, or we will share a can.

I also like Peanut Butter, though it has to be Kraft Smooth. That on toast with a generous portion of Margarine to make it even smoother and hmmmm hmmmm good.

My wife says I snack too often, and she maybe slightly right. However I will do so prior to working out or going to class so I know I'm going to burn it off.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/20/06 03:09 AM

My treats are usually on a Saturday and it could be any one or two of the following:

1 Galaxy bar
A couple glasses of red wine
Pizza
Balti Chana (chickpeas) from the Indian takeaway with peshwari naan
A slice of homemade cake
Chips and gravy from the chippy (yep I am a Northern lass)!

Roll on Saturday!!!!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/20/06 12:49 PM

Quote:

Chips and gravy from the chippy (yep I am a Northern lass)!

Good girl! Growing up in a seaside town in North Wales, I had superb award winning fish and chips available easily, add to that you could eat them in the sea air, and this makes the poor excuses for chippy's here in Cambridge very resistable.
When I go back to see the family however, i always have fish and chips from the Harbour View Chippy in Deganwy- simply perfection
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 02:44 AM

My stomach's grumbling now!
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 05:31 AM

Quote:

Chocolate and peanut butter, preferably together.

mmmmm reeses peanut butter cups...... drool. Thanks alot. There goes my diet. grumble...mmmmmm....grumble

Laura

I only had these once when my brother went to Houston, damn it was good!

Once a week
Chocolate: all incarnations are pretty good
Bluberry Muffin(s)

Once a month
Fried Chicken

I used to eat fried chicken once a week on hard training days , its not like I wasnt going to use the calories! I stopped doing that now. Thanks forum .
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 06:53 AM

"Sweets" - don't really care for sweets, so I don't worry about my frequency of eating them because it's very rare.

"Sweet/savoury" - my Zotter bars. They're not particularly sweet, though still chocolately goodness. Excellent with a glass of red wine. I'll eat the equialent of 1 bar (70 g) over the weekend if I feel like having it...

"Savoury" - anything deep-fried and/or crunchy. And of course, my biggest vice - cheese. (Mmm... deep-fried cheese) I try to limit intake of these to once a week, and in small amounts only.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 02:58 PM

Sweeets- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I was going to elementary school had them everyday and I still cant resist.
Anything with nuts. Big fan of nuts, only the grown in the garden kind you sick people.
Peanut butter cups.

Savory - My moms homemade cooking, basically anything she cooks is made with alot of love and alot of fat/cholesterol.
Chinese food - Orange chicken is one of my favs.
Italian sausage
Theres alot more but I am getting hungry so....
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 03:01 PM

My Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies. I make these from time to time with my daughter and they are beyond good. I use a whole package of chocolate chips so that every cookies can barely fit anymore in. Plus there is enough Peanut Butter that you can still taste it. Soft and delicious.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Treats and their frequency - 04/21/06 03:34 PM

Drool

Laura
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: Treats and their frequency - 05/06/06 02:59 AM

Wow, I would love to be able to stick to a once a month treat schedule. I aim for a once a week, but Easter destroyed that. I love pizza, Mcdonald's french fries, Ben & Jerry's half baked ice cream, fruit smoothie skittles, Moutain Dew with salt and vinager chips, all types of soda, Mongolian pork, Potato ole's... I think I just gained 20 pounds listing that! I have a sweet tooth like no other. The more I try to restrict it, the more cravings I have.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Treats and their frequency - 06/02/06 08:08 AM

I only eat treats if my body is craving it because I think I may need something out of it that will benefit me lol!

I have recently picked up eating Cookie dough Ice Cream but I only eat it if I am going to have a strict workout the next day or so. Gotta love cheat days.

Chai Fraps - Starbucks need I say more......so good but again only if I crave it!

Sometimes I have a need for a great hamburger. I mean a Collosso Burger from Ruby Tuesdays.

........ thats about it kinda boring I think.