Help starting a diet

Posted by: Disturbed1

Help starting a diet - 04/17/06 01:05 PM

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me start a diet I'm 280 pounds about 6'2. I am a manager at a Wendys and a curret full time college student. So most the time I have to grab something and eat on the go. What foods should I watch for not to eat. I'd like to eat more Salads but its hard to sit down and eat one. So are there anything I could buy at the store which would be fast to make and easy to eat at work. Also if you know any foods I could eat at Wendys while I'm there it would help a lot. My physical therapist told me to stay away from red meats and eat more greens. So any help is welcomed thanks.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/18/06 03:01 AM

Sit down and eat. If you don't have the time, *make the time*, even if it goes over something else, like watching TV or getting to the beer keg party on time.

Stick to clean and lean foods, meaning stay away from the fast food.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/18/06 03:09 AM

You have been 'on a diet' since the day you were born. What you need is to change your eating habits so as to have a healthy diet you can maintain for your whole life. Thats a big change in your life, not a short term 'fix'.

your therapists advice is good. Plenty of lean meats (poultry and fish), fresh fruit and veg, and complex carbohydrates (rice,pasta,potatoes,and,cereals). Grill meats where possible, and avoid processed food/ready meals- they tend to be full of salt and fats.

If such natural foods are not easily available to you, then you will need to spend some of your free time preparing meals to carry with you. It is not as convenient as eating on the go, but doing that has made you 280lbs and seek the advice of a physical therapist, so I would suggest the extra effort would be worth it

The best eating plan in the world will not give you optimal results alone, you will need to exercise regularly to get the best results. This also is a lifelong commitment.

Big changes, and a lot of effort, but this really is the only way to get in-and stay in shape. If it were easy we would all be walking around in a state of perpetual Buffness, sadly this is far from the case
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/18/06 01:54 PM

I completely understand the plight of the fast food worker. I have been working at a pizza hut for about 2 years and the food I found myself eating when I first started working there was rediculous! But I adapted and have actually found some pretty healthy meals I can make there, or supplement with other foods I bring in. You can make a great salad with pizza toppings, and a low fat cheese on whole grain bread tastes wonderful after a trip through the pizza oven! I bet there are a lot of similar things you can find working at Wendy's. They even have awesome salads on their menu, don't they? With some creativity you should be able to improve what is available to eat at work. Just make smarter choices when you don't have time to sit down for dinner.
Posted by: Disturbed1

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/19/06 12:01 AM

The only bad thing at work is I'm a Manager and I dont get time to sit down and eat. so most the time its what I can grab. I have done really good at home its just at work trying to find stuff. I do work out I do Karate and have a bow felx and tread mill at the house. I just need to adapt some better habits and I want to thank you all for your advice. Do you know any good links for meal to make and take with you?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/19/06 12:41 AM

I don't know much about diets but I know they don't normally work, at least not for long. Life style changes however are the only way to truly go.

Eating 5 to 6 proportioned meals per day is the best thing so that you are not eating too much and storing fat. Make these up at home and take them to work and "make yourself" stick to eating these only. Also get yourself an insolated water bottle and drink that throughout the day. This will keep you full when you get those hunger pains. As for what foods to eat, well mostly common sense should kick in but if need be there are plenty of sites that will show you the good things to eat like chicken, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, almonds, etc. Stay away from as many boxed items as these are usually packed with the things you don't need.

You have a BowFlex and a threadmill ... awesome. With the BowFlex look at starting with small full body exercises with high reps and low weights. Then increase the amount of time you are on it and start lowering the reps and increasing the weights slightly. Look at starting with 2 times a week and try working up to 3 days a week. If really heard then don't feel bad if you can only do it a day a week. The thing is to do something and then work into it. Also prior to the BowFlex you could warm up on the threadmill or on your off days do at least 20 minutes on it 2 days a week.

With a proper diet (as in how you eat, not going on a diet), adequate water and and exercise plan you should see some good results ... but don't expect them over night and realize you have to work for them. If you want them bad enough you will get them. And know that when building muscle that this will help to looses weight as muscles need more energy. And also know this, if you work out at night that hours after you are done even while you sleep, your body is still burning calories which is a plus for you.

Then if you are seeing results you may wish to take up skipping, running or swimming. These will really help to burn that fat, but again you have to work at it and really want it. AND you have to stick with it making a life time decision.

Good luck to you.
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Help starting a diet - 04/19/06 04:27 AM

I too am a full time student, and I work close to 30hrs a week, so I understand your situation. What I do is I pack all of my food the night before as I have a hard time waking up early enough in the morning to do this. I eat pretty often, so I have to pack a lot of food. If you have access to a fridge at work, I suggest you bring milk, smoothies and shakes. You can always have those while you work. Also, grapes, bananas, apples, and trail mix, are always good to have if you're ever hungry ie. between classes and work, or training. Granola bars are okay, but they usually have a lot of sugar. Make your own wraps, sandwiches, greek salads, bean salads, peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I normally try to eat a lot of fibre-rich foods, or dense foods because I can't always eat when I need to, and drinking what I mentioned in between meals helps when you can't sit down to eat.

An easy breakfast wrap I make, for which I use a horrible cooking method, is:spraying a bowl with Pam, and beating an egg with chopped, raw spinach. Then I nuke it for 1.5 minutes, and top it with salsa, and put it in a wrap. It's really fast to make at work on mornings, if the spinach is prechopped.
Posted by: Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Re: Help starting a diet - 05/31/06 11:32 AM

Quote:

Eating 5 to 6 proportioned meals per day is the best thing so that you are not eating too much and storing fat. Make these up at home and take them to work and "make yourself" stick to eating these only. Also get yourself an insolated water bottle and drink that throughout the day. This will keep you full when you get those hunger pains. As for what foods to eat, well mostly common sense should kick in but if need be there are plenty of sites that will show you the good things to eat like chicken, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, almonds, etc. Stay away from as many boxed items as these are usually packed with the things you don't need.

..., i've been told this many times. but the truth is, most people aren't given the opportunity to eat 5-6 meals a day. On average i eat 2 meals a day. And like he has said, he doesn't have a lot of time, especially not to eat 2 seperate meals at work.

Re: Help starting a diet - 05/31/06 12:39 PM

This is unfortunate but sometimes it is a life style change and you have to take measures to do so. It was suggested to pack the meals the night before so they were ready and this is a good plan and what I do as well ... well my wife does for me.

You either make the time or you don't. You either do something about it or you don't. All choices that we have and if we choose not to do anything then we should not expect things to get better. If something is that important to a person then they will make the time. They can eat on the go if need be. It sure doesn't take too much time to shovel something into your mouth that is bad for you through out the day, just make it more healthier.

Posted by: Eveal

Re: Help starting a diet - 06/02/06 06:45 AM

Hey Disturbed,

Everyone in fightingarts are well knowledged and giving great tips man so please listen to them. A few tips that helped me is to actually sit down and write down what you eat and also the times that you eat it. Count your calories, proteins, fat, and carb intake. This is a no brainer because if you want to lose weight than make sure your fat grams are lower than your carbs and your carbs are lower than your proteins. Cleaning up your diet will help man and give you alot of choices to think about. People these days eat for taste instead of for benefits. Also, the full felling is not a sign that your not hungry anymore my friend its a sign of over eating.
Posted by: stevenLouis

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/26/06 01:46 AM

Post removed as it was blatant advertising.

Cord.
Posted by: bobafett

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/27/06 07:40 PM

well,

first of all i would say stay away from wendy's do not eat the food. dosent matter if they say there low fat or crap like that they still are really fattning

second, are u doing exercize with your diet? it will be extreamly hard to lose weight on diet alone.

im also a full time student and have a job. i go to school for 8 hours then i go to work for 5. thats a 15 hour day. including the time it takes to and from work. the last thing i wanna do when i get home is work out. but i do it anyways.

also one way i deal with hunger is chewing gum. i dont have time to eat most of the time so i chew gum and it takes most of my hunger away. untill i can get something to eat.

hope that helps a little

Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/28/06 06:50 AM

I don't see how anyone can 'help' you start a diet. You control what you eat. If you can just take a few minutes to sit down and eat at work, it will be beneficial.

As you're managing a restaurant, I imagine you have access to a fridge. You say you're doing fine eating at home, so when you're making food there, stick some in a box and take it to work.

The only thing you need to eat properly is the will to do so.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/28/06 11:19 AM

Hello Disturbed1:

So... eating carrot sticks takes "more time" than the French Fries off the line?

Think about that for a moment... it does not. Cancel 20 minutes of "play time" on the weekend and grab some healthy salad at the store using that time. Ziplock it and grab it going out the door in the morning. Silly example, but you get the point.

Preparing healthy food is not difficult, not especially time intensive. Grab a salad off the line NOT the Fries! Heck, pure guesswork but you're probably grabbing food off your own line correct... for a snack, luch, dinner... whatever shift you possess, right? Start grabbing the healthy stuff, the wrap, salads...

Do NOT grab Soda, push the Water/Seltzer button off the same dispenser instead. Soda=empty worthless calories, and no nutritian at all.

Be smarter don't use the "easy" pathway. Websites, wish I had an ideal site for you... check with your Campus Health Service, they should have lots of material. If not try the American Diabetes Association website or their Juvenile Diabetes Research Association Website, they should have good healthy receipes & food ideas. Try your local State Dietetians Association website, the FDA, or the US Surgeon General's website might have good links...

Keep us informed. And give yourself time to change, you did not get where you are overnight, it won't go away that way either.

Jeff

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/28/06 05:56 PM

You guess do realize that Disturbed last posted over 5 months ago, don't you? As well if you check the post count, the number is 2 posts and that is in this thread which I would assume means this person has not been back since April and thus this is a dead thread.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Help starting a diet - 09/30/06 12:05 AM

Quote:

..., i've been told this many times. but the truth is, most people aren't given the opportunity to eat 5-6 meals a day. On average i eat 2 meals a day. And like he has said, he doesn't have a lot of time, especially not to eat 2 seperate meals at work.

We get a 30 min lunch break I asked my boss if I could take it in two shifts one at 10am and the other around 2:30 p.m. It is to his benefit that I get in better shape after all. (Less sick days, better work and less money he has to pay out for my health care) I stock my locker with tuna fish and multigrain tortilla shells I pack a small salad from home as well.