40/30/30 protein/carb/fat diet

Posted by: mbac640

40/30/30 protein/carb/fat diet - 04/09/06 11:02 PM

Greetings from the Taekwondo section.

I'm giving this diet a shot. 40% of calories/day from protein, 30% from fat, 30% from carbs. Try to land at 2500 calories/day. I'm large frame, 6'0, 210 pounds, probably burning 3500 calories/day average. Want to be at 195 pounds

No trans fats or saturated fats if can be avoided. Complex carbohydrates over simple carbohydrates.

Plenty of water. If I fall below US RDA of vitamins/minerals for whatever reason (people on normal diets do all the time), I pop a vitamin supplement. Especially if I have a tough workout during the day.

Effects:

On the whole I don't feel quite so hungry. I used to look forward to ducking out for lunch at noon but now I'm completely unaware that it's well past noon. If I have a mid-afternoon snack during coffee break, eating a full dinner seems almost like a chore. This coming from a person who deals with stress by eating instead of smoking or drinking.

Speaking of which, my stressful moods have been a lot more mild. A few things happened this week where I'd normally flip the hell out, but instead I just took it chill. It could be all in my head...

I'm thinking of doing this long term (ie, life).

I'm not sure what my sodium intake should be. It's believed to cause high blood pressure, but I think most people just don't drink enough water to offset the extra salt. (Easterners have very high sodium diets and aren't dropping dead from heart disease.)

Anyway. comments? This is kind of far from US RDA guidelines. Wondering if anyone does something similar.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: 40/30/30 protein/carb/fat diet - 04/13/06 12:31 PM

Well... how are you keeping to the 40/30/30 thing? I mean that sounds really restrictive, not to mention a real pain in the a$$. If it works, then good on you, but to be honest I just couldn't be bothered with anally tracking every calorie