Water or Coke? You Choose.

Posted by: MikeMartial

Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 12:32 PM

I didn't write this just thought it was a neat read
WATER:
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of

COKE:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:
Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 01:02 PM

Quote:

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

I am one of those 75%. I drink 90+ oz. of water a day, but still the thirst never ends. The skin on my lips and hands actually peels off from being so dry. I rarely drink soda.

I have actually used the soda/battery terminal idea on a friend's car, it does work.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 01:45 PM

Have seen this before, but thanks for supplying again for those that haven't Mike. (always good to hear from you).

Carry an insulated water bottle (1.5 Litres) around with me at work all of the time and fill it up 1 to 2 times a day depending on how dry or thirsty I am. Rarely drink soda unless with rum.

Since I'm in the chemicals business I think people would be surprised with a lot of things they are used to that require hazardous placards to transport it. Luckily many things are considered "Consumer Commodities" and don't require special placarding but these same items if they are not considered this then would need the special placarding. What do I really hate? People phoning me looking for cleaning materials and when they receive it they get all worked up because it has a corrosive decal on the pail. These are the same people that are smoking (toxic), handling gasoline in their lawn mowers/snow blowers and using as cleaning solvent (flammable), use drain cleaners in their toilets and sinks (corrosive; acids or alkalines), drink cola (corrosive; acidic), etc. People just don't get it.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 03:53 PM

Where did you get this info from? There is a local radio personality doctor who says that 8-10 glasses of water is over rated and not that much is needed for most people. Some of you might know him, Dr. Dean Edell.

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 05:49 PM

Quote:

Where did you get this info from? There is a local radio personality doctor who says that 8-10 glasses of water is over rated and not that much is needed for most people. Some of you might know him, Dr. Dean Edell.

I got this info from another webiste I visit, and thought it was interesting, so I copied it to here.

But tell me, do YOU think 8-10 glasses of h20 a day is overrated? I can actually hardly believe a physician would endorse that thought, but stranger things have happened.

Find me a professional athlete that DOESN'T drink at LEAST 3 litres of water daily. Sure, if you push a desk for a living and then go home and veg in front of the TV, then maybe 8 glasses is overkill. I have no doubt it would be beneficial, though

Any athlete (key word here is athlete) in his/her right mind puts hydration at the forfront of their nutrition.

Any any martial artist who want the best performance their body can give won't settle for the advice of a radio talk doc. While he might be educated, he doesn't have a clue about proper sports nuttrition.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 09:05 PM

Try to keep an open mind, Mike. I see nothing in the way of evidence in your post - just a lot of ad hominem. I, for one, have never seen any solid evidence that drinking more water than you need to keep from being thirsty is healthy. If you have any evidence to show the alleged benefits of '8-10 glasses of water a day', I'd love to see them. As for physicians coming out against this notion, read this, and this.
Posted by: White_Fox

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 10:09 PM

Being an athlete I feel so much better when I drink lots of water. I find I have more enegry and endurance.

when I have coke I feel like crap
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/20/06 10:16 PM

Seen the show Mythbusters?
http://p222.ezboard.com/fanimefrm4.showMessage?topicID=43.topic
Quote:

Myth two. Coke as a cleaner, etc. This test, they had fun with. The first one they drew chalk outlines on the ground, and poored blood everywhere. Can coke help clean it up? It did a little better than water. But probably wouldn't have done as good as a cleaning agent. The second one, they got a dirty chrome bumper. They cleaned one side with a standard chrome cleaner. The other side with Coke and aliminium foil and coke. Coke wins! Another they tried is cleaning grease out of cloths. The greased up some coveralls, and soked some in coke, and some in bleach. Neither did jack. Then cleaning grease out of an engine. They washed one side with water, the otherside had coke poored on it. There wasn't enough difference to matter. And then they cleaned a batterie terminal with coke, and one with baking soda, and another with streight water. There was no difference. Then there was non cleaning tests. The put a steak, a pennie, and a tooth into coke, and another group into acid. Funny, the acid ate the steak, didn't do anything to the pennie, and ate half the tooth. While the coke just tenderised the steak, cleaned the pennie and only stained the tooth. I may have missed one of these, but it's a mixed bag depending on what you do with it.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!!

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/21/06 12:52 AM

Quote:

T I, for one, have never seen any solid evidence that drinking more water than you need to keep from being thirsty is healthy.

Evidence as per White Fox's post He basically sums it up perfectly.

I think one can safely say in the case of h20, more is better. And I don't subscribe to the fear of hyponatremia---that one the media got wind of and ran with like crazy, scaring people needlessly.

I suppose I could go dig info up on h20 consumption and performance measures, and the physiological basis behind dehydration versus hyperhydration, but there's really no need. Most of the professional MT fighters I know drink 4+ litres a day, Rich Franklin drinks 4+ litres a day, and NHL players drink 4+ litres a day.

I'm pretty sure these guys know what they're doing, so I'll safely follow they're lead.

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/21/06 01:04 AM

Well being a chemical guy I will give my incite on cola products. Cola products contain Phosphoric Acid which is a very slow reacting acid. In our acidic product line, all of the Phosphoric Acid products are used for cleaning of soft metals (aluminum, copper, etc.) or delicate or intricate material as it is slow reacting and will do less damage. Not only that because it is slow reacting it fumes less as well. If you want a fast reacting acid you need to step it up and then use Hydrochloric Acid. Or step it up again and use Sulphuric Acid. Or have a deadly combination of Sulphuric/Hydroflouric Acid (Hydroflouric is being banned in Canada as it can seep through your pores and into your bone and destroy it from the inside out and the there is "no" cure.)

If you want to degrease things, acids are definitely not the way to go. You are better off using the opposite end of the scale and use "alkalines" such as products with caustics or metasilicates in them. Or step it up and use solvents.

Cola products maybe able to do marginal cleaning but they do not have the technology in them with surfactants, emulsifiers, sequestrants, etc. to make them effective. It is meant as a beverage so contains sugar and spice and everything that is "sort of" nice.

NOW as for the water ... water is good and is more necessary as you workout and sweat. Water is super important if you are a body builder. Even for regular people water is important. Water is needed for digestion, absorption, circulation, excretion, transporting nutrients through the body, maintaining normal temperature and for healthy functioning of every living cell. Here is some other information I put together in a previous post that I did research on.

Quote:

For the average adult 50% of their body is water weight (11 US Gallons or 42 Litres). An average adult can lose about 3 quarts (approx. 3 Litres) each day through perspiration. Now introduce weight lifting that produces heavy sweating and you will start to realize how important water is to a weight lifter and the need to replenish it … or any other person that does a physical activity. Just as a note, evaporation of sweat on the skin is the body’s cooling mechanism. You don’t cool down you overheat … and if you compare this to a vehicle that overheats then you get the idea … you breakdown and go no where.

Now when taking water it is best to take it gradually in small portions. I myself carry an insolated water bottle (32 ounces or 1 Litre) around all day at work and sip it. I will usually drink 1 to 2 of these a day plus what ever other amounts I take while working out, after working out or while training martial arts. Your body will need to adjust to the excess water you will be taking in so prepare in the beginning to go to the washroom more then usual but it will subside and you will be the better for it. Now how much water is recommended? It is suggested to drink at least 1 Gallon (3.79 Litres) per day if you’re working out hard and/or if the day is hot.

Other benefits of water are that it helps to clean the system out. Water can help with skin problems. Water can fill hunger pains that are really your body telling you that it is thirsty … you know the ones late at night when you think you need a snack and you know you shouldn’t. Water can aid in the loss of fat.

This is only touching the surface. So I agree with the people who feel water is good ... and I don't believe it is over rated.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/21/06 04:46 AM

I will tell you that from my experience water is not overrated. I drink at least 2 liters a day and I can tell a big difference when I don't.
While in basic training we were required to drink a quart of water every hour,believe me they checked,if you didn't have a full canteen

Drink water!!
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/21/06 08:12 PM

I know that water is not over-rated....My point is just that I would like to see some proof that drinking 8-10 glasses a day is what most people need. Many of us on these forums drink at least twice that amount because we are always active. I just want to see some proof from somewhere.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 12:00 AM

Best proof...stop drinking so much water and see what happens to you.

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 12:44 AM

Quote:

I know that water is not over-rated....My point is just that I would like to see some proof that drinking 8-10 glasses a day is what most people need. Many of us on these forums drink at least twice that amount because we are always active. I just want to see some proof from somewhere.

Hey Diabolic. In doing my above research one of my sources was Bill Pearl's "Getting Stronger". Bill Pearl is the man. Not only that he did this in conjunction with Dr. Gary T. Morgan, Ph.D. Other sources were Dr. Ellington Darden, Ph.D's book "Bigger Muscle in 42 Days" and Robert E. Spector's work for "The HIT Faq" who he sources a lot of books, articles, internet sources and many by highly respected and well known people.

I would guess you would find more "thumbs up" for consumption of water especially if you are a weight lifter or athlete, then you would find "thumbs down" saying it is over-rated.

Don't worry I read your post and I know you don't think it is over-rated. It is not a cut and dry thing especially since you have found articles saying as such. I wish it was more cut and dry such as smoking is bad for you. You don't need to see information showing this you just know it. For me water in these volumes is cut and dry. I know it from information I've gathered and I know from how my body is. When I first started weight lifting 8+ years ago I started water and it was an amazing positive. When I go on holidays and get away from drinking water in the volumes I'm used to at work, my body knows and craves it and I don't feel the same or as good. I know it ... I know it in my heart.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 03:49 AM

As someone who once used to consume around 2 glasses of water a day (going back a few years) to then increasing it to at least 1.5 litres a day, I found my workouts and training improved tenfold! My energy levels rocketed and my concentration improved at work. I've really noticed a difference if I don't consume the level of water I'm now used to and often struggle during a workout if I don't reach my normal intake.

I suppose the amount of water you need to consume depend on your environment and your level of activity. As I live in the UK and very rarely encounter hot weather I perhaps wouldn't need to consume the same amount of water as you guys in the US? But then again I sit in an office with central heating which pretty much contributes to dehydration too but not on the same scale...

And with regards to the "local radio personality doctor" commenting on 8-10 glasses of water, could he have meant pint glasses? I think the real question is, how qualified is he if his title is "a local radio personality doctor" ? Granted you can live on relatively small amounts of water but you wouldn't be in peak condition or be able to function as well as you would if you were adequately hydrated.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 10:15 AM

Snopes is your friend ;-) http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
Posted by: Cord

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 10:38 AM

Both over and under hydration will be less than beneficial to your body. The idea of pre-emptive hydration is falling out of favour with some studies showing it to be completely unnecessary. Your thirst mechanism is there for a reason, its what other mammals rely on to measure their water needs, and you will not harm yourself by doing the same.

Those who go on 'diets' that require taking in less food, will have to up their fluid intake as you get as much as 1/3 of your water from solid food, so that fluid loss by proxy must be addressed.

Its common sense. Drink when you are thirsty, increase your water intake in relation to climatic temperature and humidity, also in relation to your daily exertion levels.

Looking for 'secret' nutrition balances is a bit like looking for 'secret' MA techniques. The information is actually available to everyone, the 'secret' is finding and using what works for you as an individual.

Feel better drinking lots of water? great. Preffer to wait till your thirsty, great. Talking about 'dehydration' in the western world is perverse when taken in context of what some survive on in arid 3rd world countries.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 11:37 AM

I drink more because I am more active. No-one is putting this issue into the context of a third world situation. No matter where you are in the world, and in what position you're in dehydration is a major issue, not that I don't know you know that already...

There was a news article I read a few years back about a guy who died as a result of taking in too much water. He drank litres and litres of water (can't remember exactly what amount) and lived on a diet of salads which obviously has a high water content. As a result it washed his body of the necessary nutrients and he died.

So yes you can over-do it. And Cord I agree, it is common sense to drink when you are thirsty, but apparently people can sometimes confuse the feeling of being hungry when they are actually thirsty. I was merely giving my opinion to Diabolic as he posed some doubt.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 03/22/06 01:15 PM

Another point to make is that we as a culture are obsessed with caffeine and salt in our daily diet, cut these out and you will need to ingest less water than if you are giving yourself a steady intake of diuretics every day

As for the coke aspect of this thread, granted its not the best thing in the world for you, but it is healthier now than in its original form when it was a cocktail containing alcohol and cocaine. Suddenly 3 tablespoons of sugar per can doesnt seem so bad does it?

Moderation in everything, and a good dose of common sense keeps you in better condition than anything else I can think of, including getting OCD about water.
Posted by: mbac640

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 04/02/06 01:11 PM

The first portion of that post is good advice. The stuff about coke is just collected urban legends. Snopes took this down.

What you should be taking away from this is not to force feed yourself water to the point where you're peeing all day long, but rather to develop yourself to listen to your body better.

MANY people grow up in an environment where they STOP feeling thirst and simply feel hungry. You *can* lose this feeling. A good indicator that you're dehydrated is if your pee is always dark yellow. It should stay closer to clear.

Nearly everyone who has a low water intake feels better if they increase it. Nearly every sick person feels a feels less pain. Some improve dramatically. Asthma and arthritis sufferers know this (or should know it) first hand.

The average person should drink about 1oz of water for every 2 pounds of body weight. So, if you're 160 lbs, you'd drink eight 10oz glasses (160/2 = 80oz) a day.

If you don't feel thirsty, don't force it, but if you never feel thirsty, you might want to try this on blind faith for a week to see if you've been missing the feeling.

Also, many soft drinks *dehyrate*. And coffee requires twice as much water by mass to offset its effects. Pure water will unquestionably hydrate.

Give it a try. Tap water's free.

Also, I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. But it did work for me.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 04/02/06 02:31 PM

I don't personally feel water is "over rated". I do however think most people take the 8-10 glasses per day bit to an extreme with a lack of understanding of what is actually needed. If your an athlete or highly active during the day then yes you might need that much water. There is NO standard, across the board answer for everyone. I see countless people who do nothing more than sit on their rump all day but they have a gallon of water next to them that they insist must be finished by COB.
Just pay attention to your body, it will tell you when it needs water. What i think is more important is not telling people how much water they should drink or that they need to hydrate, it's telling them what to drink in order to hydrate. Unfortunately there are still people who think they can drink coke, tea or even worse energy drinks in order to hydrate.

As for the Coke bits. Most of those are grossly exaggerated. I know we do vehicle inspections everyday and we have at least one Coke or Pepsi truck come through with syrup and none of them have a corrosive placard. As found in Snopes, Coke syrup only has 11-13 grams of phosphoric acid per gallon, less than half a percent.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Water or Coke? You Choose. - 04/10/06 01:54 AM

I am no Expert but I heard somewhere that diet sodas can slow your metabolism down. Any truth to that?