protein shakes without milk

Posted by: Alex89

protein shakes without milk - 03/12/06 10:04 PM

Do you guys know of any home made protein shakes without using milk? I can't drink a lot of milk anymore because it's giving me acne.
Posted by: Cord

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/12/06 11:33 PM

Unless you have been diagnosed with a specific allergic reaction to milk, it is unlikely to be the cause of your acne. Your subeaceous glands are at the mercy of your hormones more than your diet.

Make sure you bathe/shower immediately after exercise (dont stay sweaty) and consult your doc as to possible acne treatments if its bad. This will help more than watery protein shakes.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 07:25 AM

Many protein supplements directions for use say you can use either milk or water. Check your protein supplement and if indicated use water instead.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 08:12 AM

Milk and water its the same. It just tastes dif and more creamier with milk I guess. Also dairy products raise your body's ph level (acidic) and some people dont like that for training/sickness etc. Just use water if you dont like milk.
CORD- Speaking of acne, do people with more testosterone have more acne? Or is just certain individuals skin reacts different to testosterone?

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

CORD- Speaking of acne, do people with more testosterone have more acne? Or is just certain individuals skin reacts different to testosterone?

Peaks in testosterone do correlate with acne for many people. Thats why the condition is synonamous with teenagers and their hormone fluctuations. There is also a strong link between acne and steroid abuse, which in turn elavates testosterone levels.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 04:54 PM

I've tried everything for my acne, and nothing works. My aunt had acne also, and she told me that she didn't drink a lot of milk and it went away, so it seemed good for me to stop drinking a lot of milk. It's probably hormones.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 06:23 PM

You could try Soy milk, or some of the other milk substitutes. I agree with Cord, that I think the milk thing is unlikely to affect your acne. Talk to your doctor, there are lots of things available for treatment.

Cord -

I did not know that testosterone peaks had any corellation with acne. Is it the same thing for girls?

I was under the impression that most steroid using bodybuilers got acne because of the oil base used in many injectable steroids.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 06:30 PM

As a teen I did not really get acne until I turned around 17/18. I did really nothing but tried to wait it out and by my early 20's I was fed up. I started seeing a Dermitologist which I highly recommend. Acne can be hereditary and for myself it was due to "large pores" which oils can build up in. With medication these pores were able to be shrunk and thus the elimination of my acne.

Some other things that can cause acne is excessive sweating without cleaning afterwards. Or believe it or not, excessive washing. From what the Dermitoligist told me, very rarely does it have to do with what you eat or drink ... because when I was younger I was always told that sweets were the cause of this or too much pop and that is the fartherest from the truth.

Best to get facts and this is from Dermitologists or a very knowledgeable GP (General Practitioner aka Doctor).

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 06:35 PM

Quote:

Cord -

I did not know that testosterone peaks had any corellation with acne. Is it the same thing for girls?

I was under the impression that most steroid using bodybuilers got acne because of the oil base used in many injectable steroids.

High levels of testosterone can also have an effect. I do break out from time to time on my back and taking steroids is a no-no for me. Another thing that high levels of testosterone can effect is hair loss. The higher levels of testosterone the less hair. This is another reason why many steroid users start to bald. Man, the testoterone running through my system must be running rampant. I should bottle this stuff. My wife would be more then happy to have me give some away.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 06:46 PM

I have had a couple friends/relatives use that stuff on TV, I think its called ProActive. Not trying to endorse or act as a doctor, but I would reccommend looking into that. It worked wonders for my cousin who unfortunatly had horrible, horrible acne. I would say about 6 months later his face looked completley different. If anything it boosted his confidence level 300%.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cord -

High levels of testosterone can also have an effect. I do break out from time to time on my back and taking steroids is a no-no for me. Another thing that high levels of testosterone can effect is hair loss. The higher levels of testosterone the less hair. This is another reason why many steroid users start to bald. Man, the testoterone running through my system must be running rampant. I should bottle this stuff. My wife would be more then happy to have me give some away.

you too? lol We are gods among men then! Perhaps the new evolution evolution of thickly muscled adonises. High hairlines are the new black!

...now just to get me some thick muscles...

oh yeah and to keep things on topic. I used to think I was lactose intolerant so I used water instead of milk in my protein shakes. The taste is worse so i would mix it with as little water as possible and shoot it like liquor. For some odd reason my gaseous reactions to milk stopped when I started drinking lots of if. Now I like the added 20g of protein from 16oz of skim milk in my shake. 2 scoops plus 16 ounces puts me at around 600 calories and 64 grams of protein.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 10:21 PM

I tried proactive, but it doesnt do anything for me. But i'm going ot get laser treatment.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/13/06 11:42 PM

Laser treatment? OMG Cord is going to have a field day about that. He will talk about the evolution of man and how man is slowly becoming women because we are becoming more feminine every decade. Pretty soon, well all be women in his eyes. No gloves, no straps, chews glass, armwrestles, and saves babies from burning buildings. Thats our Cord!

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/14/06 12:42 AM

Quote:

I tried proactive, but it doesnt do anything for me. But i'm going ot get laser treatment.

I went on Acutane. It was pretty harsh stuff and had to have my kidneys tested every month plus my blood checked. It got worse before it got good with dry crackling bleeding skin, bloody noses and dry eyes. Then it cleared up and it has been 15 years and no acne. I was on it 3 months only and it was a $100 per month ... though my company health plan covered it all. Was well worth it for myself.
Posted by: tuxette

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/14/06 04:06 AM

Quote:

did not know that testosterone peaks had any corellation with acne. Is it the same thing for girls?

Perhaps. A lot of girls/women take birth control pills to keep their skin clear (in addition to or in lieu of the prevention effects). The pill decreases testosterone levels. Though it seems like girls/women are more likely to get acne problems right before menstruation, when testosterone levels fall, and not mid-cycle when testosterone levels peak.

I'd look into this more if I were actually affected, but I'm not. (no pills, drink tons of milk) :-)
Posted by: tuxette

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/14/06 04:07 AM

Quote:

He will talk about the evolution of man and how man is slowly becoming women because we are becoming more feminine every decade.

That's because of all the hormones in the food and cosmetics supply. Scary stuff :-/

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/14/06 05:02 AM

acne is a nightmare. I suffered badly in my teens, and still get the odd big zit now at 31 years old . My face was always clear, but my back and chest were like the surface of mars. i didnt go swimming from the age of 12 to 17 because of it. i was given acne treatments by my doctor (acutane and erythromycin if I remember correctly), but cant say that it helped much. I didnt help things by being a 'squeezer' who is also prone to keloid scarring.

I did find switching to a completely natural, unfragranced hypoallergenic soap helped some, as did combining that with gentle exfoliation (using a back scrubber/loofer)

Long and short of it was that i just had to tough it out till my body calmed down and let me off the hook, then when I was left with just scars, I got myself covered in tattoos so you cant see em (I would have got the tats anyway, but its how I justified to my mum )

If you suffer from adult acne, then your doc should test your hormone levels for imbalances, and then treat accordingly.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/14/06 09:21 AM

Quote:

i was given acne treatments by my doctor (acutane and erythromycin if I remember correctly)

I was given both by my GP and had no effect but found out I was allergic to the Erythromycin. It wasn't until I went to a Dermitlogist that when we tried the Acutane again but double the dosage that it worked.

I feel for any individual that has to go through acne in any stage of their life.
Posted by: White_Fox

Re: protein shakes without milk - 03/17/06 12:00 PM

Have you tried just using soy milk to replace cow's milk? or maybe goats milk. They are both still sources of protein.
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/07/06 11:21 PM

I make my shakes with soymilk. Actually it adds to the protein content as well.
And yes, cow milk is related in some way to acne. I believe it was the book "Milk: The Deadly Poison" that gives a good scientific argument against cow's milk.
Posted by: crablord

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/07/06 11:57 PM

acne is a nightmare. I suffered badly in my teens, and still get the odd big zit now at 31 years old . My face was always clear, but my back and chest were like the surface of mars. i didnt go swimming from the age of 12 to 17 because of it. i was given acne treatments by my doctor (acutane and erythromycin if I remember correctly), but cant say that it helped much. I didnt help things by being a 'squeezer' who is also prone to keloid scarring.
I did find switching to a completely natural, unfragranced hypoallergenic soap helped some, as did combining that with gentle exfoliation (using a back scrubber/loofer)

Long and short of it was that i just had to tough it out till my body calmed down and let me off the hook, then when I was left with just scars, I got myself covered in tattoos so you cant see em (I would have got the tats anyway, but its how I justified to my mum )
If you suffer from adult acne, then your doc should test your hormone levels for imbalances, and then treat accordingly.

---- you avoided swimming because of your acne? i thought swimming was good because the water washes your skin and clears it??!?!! oh yeah someone said before that diet has nothing to do with it, but i have pretty bad acne, and i can make my face perfectly clear in a week by not eating junk! btw cord im still on your diet but ive given myself 1 junk food day a week lol, i cant go without junk
Posted by: JoelM

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 12:20 AM

http://www.slate.com/id/2148758/?GT1=8592#soy

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 12:51 AM

Quote:

I make my shakes with soymilk. Actually it adds to the protein content as well.
And yes, cow milk is related in some way to acne. I believe it was the book "Milk: The Deadly Poison" that gives a good scientific argument against cow's milk.

Soy milk was originaly a waste product that got disposed of as low grade pig feed. its nutritional benefits to humans reflect its background.

i believe it was the book 'Vegans: its just not natural' that gave a good common sense argument against extreme vegeterianism.

Your doctor can test you for lactose intolerance. If you are lactose tolerant (most are) then cows milk contains a far better quality of protein than non dairy equivalents.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 02:39 PM

Quote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2148758/?GT1=8592#soy

All I said about soymilk was that it adds to the protein content of the protein shake. It's not good in excess, just like anything else. If you can't drink cow's milk and you're afraid of soy then there's rice milk, almond milk, etc.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 02:49 PM

Quote:

Soy milk was originaly a waste product that got disposed of as low grade pig feed. its nutritional benefits to humans reflect its background.

an 8 oz serving of soy milk compared to 2% cow's milk has the same amount of vit. A, 5% more vit. D, the same amount of calcium, 6% more iron (cow's milk has none) and 3% more folate. But sure, whatever you say.

Quote:

i believe it was the book 'Vegans: its just not natural' that gave a good common sense argument against extreme vegeterianism.

No one said anything about vegetarianism.

Quote:

Your doctor can test you for lactose intolerance. If you are lactose tolerant (most are) then cows milk contains a far better quality of protein than non dairy equivalents.

If you are lactose intolerant, protein or not, you probably shouldn't be drinking cow's milk.

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 03:26 PM

Quote:

an 8 oz serving of soy milk compared to 2% cow's milk has the same amount of vit. A, 5% more vit. D, the same amount of calcium, 6% more iron (cow's milk has none) and 3% more folate. But sure, whatever you say.

soy milk has been found to increase production of phytoeostrogens in both men and women, whilst also lowering testosterone production in men. Result? the proteins within the soy milk count for jack-sh1t as your ability to maintain and grow lean muscle tissue diminishes on a hormonal level.

Quote:

Quote:

No one said anything about vegetarianism.

Very true, and I should apologise for the sarcastic tone I took- its just that when a member pops up out of the blue with 'vegan' in their name and starts on about the wonders of soy, I sense an agenda. my agenda is the following: i believe in personal choice, and good nutrition in any form. If vegetarian/vegan eating is your path based on moral concience, then good luck to you, and with a good level of knowledge the human body can be sustained very well this way, however the simple truth is that our bodies are wired for an omnivorous diet, even if our brain decides it wishes to abstain from eating things that have faces.

Quote:

Quote:

If you are lactose intolerant, protein or not, you probably shouldn't be drinking cow's milk.

Thats what i said if you re read what I wrote in the quote you chose to use.

Vegetarians have a right to good quality protein as well as omnivores- everyone should avoid soy milk, its bad news.
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 03:56 PM

I've read Soy bean farms are devastating Amazonia, slashing and burning virgin rainforest and displacing aboriginal people. Another good reason to avoid pig swill …. any environmentally sensitive vegan would (ought too) know already!

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 04:04 PM

Quote:

Very true, and I should apologise for the sarcastic tone I took- its just that when a member pops up out of the blue with 'vegan' in their name and starts on about the wonders of soy, I sense an agenda. my agenda is the following: i believe in personal choice, and good nutrition in any form. If vegetarian/vegan eating is your path based on moral concience, then good luck to you, and with a good level of knowledge the human body can be sustained very well this way, however the simple truth is that our bodies are wired for an omnivorous diet, even if our brain decides it wishes to abstain from eating things that have faces.

He asked for dairy alternatives and since I use dairy alternatives I figured I could join this conversation.
The reason I flaunt that I'm vegan is to show the naysayers that you can in fact be a healthy athlete while maintaining a vegan diet. When I boxed I got it tattoed on my arm and a lot of the guys in my gym were surprised and made a connection between my diet and my endurance, and started asking lots of questions about veganism.
And as far as our bodies being wired for omnivorism, there are several theories on this. If I have time I'll try to find some credible links on this sometime if you're interested.

Quote:

Quote:

Thats what i said if you re read what I wrote in the quote you chose to use.

Vegetarians have a right to good quality protein as well as omnivores- everyone should avoid soy milk, its bad news.

My bad. I kept re-reading it before I posted but for some reason I just kept seeing "intolerant." I supposed my brain is trained to see the phrase "lactose intolerant" and so I kept thinking I saw it.
And once again, I've not read anything saying that soy in moderation is bad for you. If you can find me a non-biased article or some piece of information on it, I'd be interested.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/08/06 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is not necessarily true. If you are lactose intolerant, you should avoid pastuerized milk. Lactose is digested by the enzyme lactase. Unpasturized milk contains the lactase that lactose intolerants lack. Pastuerization converts that lactase into something unusable

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/12/06 10:10 AM

After some of the discussion on this topic, I've been looking more into soy a lot. What I've come to is that certain kinds of soy (tempeh, miso) are good for you, but most isn't. And also, having a steady diet of soy is not good for you. But soy being mixed in with a balanced diet every now and then won't be too bad for you.
So what I've done is rather than using chocolate soymilk for my protein shake, I'm using chocolate almond milk (which tastes like Yoo Hoo), instead of vanilla soy milk for cereal and pancakes and stuff, I'm using rice milk. I'm cutting tofu out of my diet as well as well as soy meats. But even for those who don't purposely eat soy, you may want to check labels for every day things you may eat for Hydrolyzed soy protein. It's a way of getting MSG into a product without having to label it. It's called Clean Label MSG.
Posted by: kman

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/12/06 08:45 PM

Vegan, unlike most folks here I'll risk a direct answer to your question. I use muscletech brand "nitrotech" strawberry flavor protien disolved into fruit punch flavored gatorade. The two fruit flavors combine really well (my subjective opinion). It takes a bit of shaking to get it to blend but really no more so than milk. I'll hazard a guess and say that just about any berry flavored protein and any old fruit punch would be worth a try. I just happend to have the muscletech on hand and I get free gatorade at the messhall. Orange flavor works fairly well too.
So far everything I have read very strongly suggests whey type protien is superior in bioavailibility and lean mass weight gain than soy. Whey is egg white based so I'll leave it to you to reconcile that with your dietary ethics. K-

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/13/06 02:31 AM

Kman, I currently have a tub of Whey Protein Isolate Isoflex by Allmax Nutrition Inc. Contains NOS Complex, Glutamine Complex and IS Complex ... whatever that means. It is also Strawberry and has dried chucks of strawberries in it. This stuff tastes horrible and I regret buying it. Does yours taste as bad.

To be honest I got sold on this one as I was told that Isolate is used immediately by the body where as regular whey protein takes time to get into your system. Honestly I don't know if this is true or not but I bought it.
Posted by: kman

Re: protein shakes without milk - 09/13/06 06:49 PM

Derreck, The muscletech stuff is a fine tan colored powder. I happen to think it tastes ok in milk as well, but better in gatorade. Ive also got some GNC brand which is much coarser and also has small chunks of strawberry in it. Like you I was sold on the "transport mechanisim" in the muscle tech. We all know that tasting good is pretty much subjective so I guess you can take my comments (and possibly your protien shakes) with a grain of salt! K-