exercise with pneumonia?

Posted by: pepto_bismol

exercise with pneumonia? - 03/10/06 10:25 PM

I was really sick this week went to the doctor's and she said I have pneumonia and said I should stop training. I am sitting on my butt all day just coughing and being angry that I can't train :/.

Do you guys think it would be ok for me to lift weights? Katas, train independantly (to avoid getting others sick)

I really hate the idea of sitting at home and watching training tapes all day, yet that's what I am doing.

So my main question is what kind of exercises, if any, would you say I could do right now?

Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: exercise with pneumonia? - 03/10/06 11:10 PM

Hello Pepto:

For some reason I cannot comprehend, many of us are quite literally insane in this regard. If a medical professional has told you to STOP... then S-T-O-P. Pnumonia can become far, far worse than it already is if you fail to heed the sane advice!

Stop training, get well, return to training... in THAT order only! "...Dead but not intimidated..." makes a miserable & foolish motto! If you must train, then open a book and read. If you must train, write down your questions and do not stop until you have several pages of questions. If you must train then do some research into something that is of real personal interest and passion.

Do not physically train... that would be dumb with serious helpings of dangerously foolish! Once you are better fine then feel free... until then leave the physical alone!

J
Posted by: Borrek

Re: exercise with pneumonia? - 03/10/06 11:13 PM

definitely avoid all weight training. the combination of heavy exertion and free-radicals let loose during training causes a serious dip in the immune system. Pneumonia is an opportunistic infection and will only get worse if you let it. It may seem like hell to be away from training for so long, but just take it easy and let yourself heal.

A year from now you wont remember the month you missed in the dojo, but you would remember being in the hospital because you over did it and had to be aspirated to drain fluids.

Re: exercise with pneumonia? - 03/10/06 11:31 PM

alright guys, thanks for your responses. I guess I was stupid to doubt the doctor, but I figured the doctor wasn't a martial artist and maybe training wouldn't be that bad. I was wrong and I humbly bow

Osu!

I guess I will be eating a lot more raw garlic and supplements tommorow.
I have been reading a cool book titled "Seven Bamboo Tablets of the cloudy satchel" (very Martial Arts related, a lot of taoist theories)

and
Posted by: ikklehen

Re: exercise with pneumonia? - 03/31/06 11:19 AM

It is dangerous to do any exertion! Rest rest rest. The rest will make you heal quicker. I know an eerie story of a guy training in the gym once, he was a boxer, he had flu but carried on training. He ended up in hospital and died. I know it is extreme and scary me posting about it but it's true. Flu, Pneumonia etc is awful! Please rest well. You will be back on full form sooner than later. xxx

Re: exercise with pneumonia? - 04/13/06 02:22 AM

Quote:

It is dangerous to do any exertion! Rest rest rest. The rest will make you heal quicker. I know an eerie story of a guy training in the gym once, he was a boxer, he had flu but carried on training. He ended up in hospital and died. I know it is extreme and scary me posting about it but it's true. Flu, Pneumonia etc is awful! Please rest well. You will be back on full form sooner than later. xxx

I know it is an old topic but I can't resist...

this story is just like those "the alligators in the sewer"

or "this one guy didn't pay for lunch, then the next day he was found in the janitors closet, DEAD!"

sorry but this story is