knee replacements

Posted by: underdog

knee replacements - 03/04/06 02:49 PM

My future includes knee replacements. My surgeon says he doesn't want to do them now because of my karate. He doesn't want to do it until I am in so much pain that I am ready to risk not being able to do karate. I would like to hear from other folks out there who have had knee replacement surgery. What can you not do? What can you do? How exactly does it effect your training? This is in the context, of course, of recognizing that insidiously, even without surgery, more stuff creeps into the "I'd rather not do that" category.
Posted by: MLA

Re: knee replacements - 03/06/06 11:05 AM

Hello, underdog...

I'm interested in seeing what response(s) you get to your inquiry. I'm in a similar (sinking) boat, with knee replacement on the horizon.

I'm 41, and very new to TKD. My doc has told me to avoid practically everything (though he never specifically mentioned TKD or MA) so that we may postpone the eventuality of knee replacement. I'm only a month into training, and already my knee feels worse than ever...

...but that in no way means I want to stop TKD. So, I'm very interested in hearing what *you* are able to do with your injury, and what others can do after getting the joint replaced...given that there *are* folks out there participating in MA after knee replacement (this thread hasn't found one as of this writing).

Thank you for your post, and good luck with MA and your
knee(s)...

MLA
Posted by: Cord

Re: knee replacements - 03/06/06 12:34 PM

Knee replacement surgery will give both of you a new lease of life. Providing you apply yourself to your rehab with the same gusto you do your MA, you will be able to come back to pretty much full activity. Doctors advise on moderating activity with a new joint so that it lasts, and you dont have to go through the same surgery all over again when older. As a sports therapist I have to say that by keeping the legs active and the leg muscles strong you will be looking after your knee's future far better than the softly softly approach.
Also, if you stop your current activity completely, your legs will weaken, and so your knees will hurt more. Merely cut back on high impact work (running, skipping, and sparring) but use bikes and cross trainers instead as a pre op alternative.
Also, avoid the leg extension station when weight training, and do squats instead. Only within a comfortable range of motion, but they are the best thing to maintain the structure and strength of your knee joints.

As to what to expect afterwards, hulk Hogan had double knee replacements and a new hip, this allowed him to come out of retirement and wrestle again. No matter your thoughts on this activity, it does display the athleticism and roughness that the replacements will withstand if you ask them to.
Posted by: MLA

Re: knee replacements - 03/06/06 01:55 PM

Quote:

Knee replacement surgery will give both of you a new lease of life. Providing you apply yourself to your rehab with the same gusto you do your MA, you will be able to come back to pretty much full activity.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. Thank you for the insight and advice.

MLA
Posted by: underdog

Re: knee replacements - 03/07/06 10:29 AM

Thanks Cord, that is good news. I used to do TKD but gave it up when I got ill with Lupus because of joint problems. My current style is user friendly. I used to do lots of long distance running outdoors on the roads and lots of heavy leg press. My doctor said that didn't cause my knee problems when I asked him. I gave up doing kicks to heavy bags. Impact was too high. My surgeon said that the knee replacements wouldn't allow my knee to twist and that I need the twist to do karate. Are there different manufacturers? I've read about the Johnson and Johnson DuPuy knee. Who else makes knees?