High Blood Pressure

Posted by: Ichigo

High Blood Pressure - 03/03/06 07:24 AM

I have a ridiculously high blood pressure, at least according to my doctor (it was 140/7-). I don't really get this. I think it might have to do with my genetics, since my dad also has high blood pressure, but I've been working my body hard over the past half year, whether its running, swimming, playing sports, or lifting weights.

I want to lower it down to average (120~/??)[i'm not too sure what the numbers mean, I remember the doctor gave me a lecture, but I forget]. How do I lower my blood pressure? Do I need to lose body fat or do more cardio or change my diet?

Any suggestions are appreciated

(btw, I'm 6' 2", 190lbs, 17yrs old, if that helps any)
Thanks
-Jeff
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: High Blood Pressure - 03/03/06 07:33 AM

I highly doubt you BP is that high. Are you nervous at the doctor? You might have white coat BP, which is just a jump when you get nervous at the DR. I have the same thing at the doctors, when i check it myself it is always low. My advice, check it out when you go to a drug store on those BP machines they got and keep a record to show the doc next time you go.
Posted by: Cord

Re: High Blood Pressure - 03/03/06 07:37 AM

140 systolic pressure is high for your age, but on the high end of normal so not a cause for concern just yet. Of more importance is the second figure (diastolic pressure) which in the 70's is just fine.
Systolic pressure fluctuates a lot depending on factors that change minute to minute. Emotional stress, physical exertion, caffeine, alcohol, cigarrettes, worrying about being at the doctors (white coat syndrome) and lots of other things can give a higher reading than one would expect.

To maintain a healthy blood pressure, you must keep to lifestyle habits that prevent damage to the circulatory system.

1. No smoking
2. Low trans/saturated fats in the diet
3. Low salt intake
4. No abuse of alcohol/drugs
5. Regular exercise
6. take time out to relax (stress management)
7. Always breath during weight training

I suspect that should you go to the doctors 'fresh' for an early appointment, having had no caffeine, not worked out, and not had a hectic day, your more relaxed situation would give a better reading. The guidelines I have given should be implemented now as a pre emptive strategy to ensure you do not suffer from true hypertension in the future.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: High Blood Pressure - 03/03/06 09:26 AM

High blood pressure, I know it well and we've met several times. I come from a family where my grandfather died of a heart attack and my father had 3 with the last one resulting in a triple by-pass. However my two elders did not take care of themselves. My father was overweight, smoked 3-4 packs of cigarettes a day, an alcoholic, never exercised, loved salt and was a highly stressful person. However this is still a big reason for concern for me.

Quote:

1. No smoking
2. Low trans/saturated fats in the diet
3. Low salt intake
4. No abuse of alcohol/drugs
5. Regular exercise
6. take time out to relax (stress management)
7. Always breath during weight training

This reminds me of the list in the doctor's office. I remember on one of my visits when we discussed my high blood pressure my GP went through the list. You need to exercise. How is 5 to 6 days a week for you. You need to eliminate salt from your diet. Don't like salt. Smoke? Nope, never. You need to watch your diet. Yup, already do. You are pretty heavy for your height, possible you need to loose some weight. Here he was with a little pot belly and myself with defined abs. I looked at his stomach and then looked at mine and shook my head ... he got the picture.

What I do have though is a very stressful job and I'm a very stressful person. This is a big thing I have to work on and am doing so now. I also have been told that I come from a family of high blood pressure people so this can be hereditary but should be monitored. Plus I had been sent in for kidney testing because this can be cause for high blood pressure. I would explain it if I understood it but I can't so I won't. I believe some of it did stem from this as I was nursing some pretty serious injuries and was taking excess amount of pain killers which can affect the kidneys that in turn can raise your blood pressure.

I've tried two separate machines for testing blood pressure, one at Wal-Mart and one at Shoppers Drug Mart. Both went off the scale and I was sure that I could hear the ambulances in the back ground coming to get me.

I will be going in for a pre-operation check up shortly so I will be tested again. The last time I tested was when I was on holidays and I was fine ... fingers crossed that I'm fine again.

Look after yourself and watch for tell tale signs. Best to catch it when you are young and can manage it with diet, exercise or drugs (perscribed).
Posted by: Ichigo

Re: High Blood Pressure - 03/04/06 04:28 PM

Hm..well, I'm not a smoker or a drinker, and I excercise at least 5 days a week. However, I guess my diet isn't that great in terms of fat/salt intake. Guess I gotta cut down on those instant noodles.

Thanks guys.

-Jeff