Advice on weight

Posted by: Chanters

Advice on weight - 03/02/06 06:57 AM

Hello all!,

I'm currently having difficulty shifting any weight. I'm not over-weight but would ideally move from 10st 10 (71kg or 154lbs) to 10st flat. I'm female, my height is 5'8". I train in aikido 4 hours a week and currently go to the gym twice a week doing 20mins of cardio and 40 mins weight training. For the past 4-5 weeks I have started a healthy eating plan which consists of the following:

8am:
Homemade museli (porridge oats, dried prunes, apricots, sultanas, apple, hazelnuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds) with semi skimmed milk.

10.30am:
1 orange and a small handful of mixed seeds and nuts (brazil, hazelnuts or almonds unroasted and unsalted).

12.30pm:
Ranges from homemade soup with wholemeal bread, jacket potato with beans, or a cottage cheese and rocket wrap etc.

1.30:
1 apple

2.30pm:
2% fat yoghurt

3.30pm:
A plum or a kiwi and another small handful of mixed seeds and nuts.

Dinner (usually 6.30-7pm):
Tofu stirfry, a bean dish with rice, soya protein mince and pepper fahitas with baked sweet potato wedges, or a pasta bake as examples (I'm veggie).

Throughout the day I consume 1.5-2.5 litres of water, one cup of tea, and a glass of juice and on occasion a glass of milk (semi-skimmed). I also make smoothies about 2-3 times a week.

At the weekend I usually have a treat like a pizza or some chocolate (1 average sized bar) and betrween 2-4 glasses of red wine.

I feel fit as a fiddle and have bags of energy but am still seeing no shift in weight and infact seem to have but on 0.5lb (not much I know but it is still an increase).

Can anyone provide any pointers as to where you think I might be going wrong? Am I over doing it on the carbs? I'm I just being impatient...I just haven't noticed any difference in my weight of the past month or 2 since changing my eating habits...not that they were bad before, I just had the odd biscuit during the week and not really enough fresh fruit or water.

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Chelhxi

Re: Advice on weight - 03/02/06 08:29 AM

Well, I'd like to know why you even want to lose weight. I'm 5'7" and about the same weight, and it seems fine.
Since you are fit and have lots of energy and are exercising and eating well, I don't see the issue with the numbers. I assume you are probably more muscular than most women, so your fat percentage is probably at a good level. If you tried to lose #'s it might just be a loss of muscle mass.
That's my opinion of the matter.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Advice on weight - 03/02/06 09:04 AM

Quote:

I'm currently having difficulty shifting any weight. I'm not over-weight but would ideally move from 10st 10 (71kg or 154lbs) to 10st flat.

For what purpose?

If you are lean, feel well and live an energetic and full life, then why on earth does it matter what you weigh?

If you are weight training as intensly as it sounds, combined with your other activities, you probably have a higher muscle density, and importantly, bone density than an inactive female. There is simply more of you.

If this desire has come from a recent investigation of your BMI, then I beg you to put it out of your mind. Height/weight charts and calculations often give less than flattering results to the active. An extreme example of this would be a professional bodybuilder, in contest shape (3% body fat approx), being 5' 10" and around 260lbs would come out as obese in a medical exam relying on BMI It simply takes no account of what the weight is comprised of.

Think hard about your motives, and understand that by taking measures to lose weight needlessly you could well compromise what seems a healthy happy life balance.

Re: Advice on weight - 03/02/06 09:19 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

I suppose my goal is very shallow really...for image purposes and moreover I seem to be struggling getting into my clothes, although they are a couple of years old. I guess I have been taken in by all those "perfect" women in adverts and on TV...I can't believe I fell for it.

To hell with it, I have my life and I am happy and I'm enjoying myself! Thanks for the reality check! Cord, you are a god!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Advice on weight - 03/02/06 09:55 AM

only on the dancefloor (not)

It just seems deeply wrong that an active woman with healthy eating habits, and who is, by her own admission, fairly lean, should aim to lose close to a stone

Keep your eating clean, keep training hard and your body will reflect that in its appearance. Looking like Ali McBeal
does not qualify as hot in my book, just makes me want to cook for girls in that state.

Re: Advice on weight - 03/02/06 11:03 AM

Thanks for that Cord.

I don't want to look like a bean pole though, don't get me wrong!
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Advice on weight - 03/03/06 03:04 AM

When you exercise a lot, your body transforms its shape and it will affect the way clothes fit you. And as you've probably noticed, most clothes are not sewn to fit athletic women's bodies. So if you want to fit into haute couture, then stop exercising, stop eating, and start chain smoking.

Re: Advice on weight - 03/03/06 07:33 AM

Spot on! How about if I just live on a diet of 'low fat' nutri bars and coffee?

My fiancee has noticed and is postively pleased with my results so far...then again he's not the type of person to judge by appearance! He rocks!