safe weight gain????

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

safe weight gain???? - 02/25/06 03:54 PM

So I am about 6'2'', and only like 170 lbs. I am also 19 years old if that makes a difference.

I have always been the skinny light weight in the family. I want to be heavier but I don't want to look it or feel it. Is this possible, through proper training and diet? or should I just continue eating healthy, working out, and be the way I am.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: safe weight gain???? - 02/25/06 04:29 PM

To be honest, if you are health and feel good, plus you are already working out then don't try to fit yourself into a little box but just be happy how you are. At 19 your metabolism is probably much more faster then say somebody at my age of 37. As you get older you may put on weight more naturally but it may not be good weight so be happy for now.

If you are already working with weights you can up it a bit plus take in 200 to 600 more calories per day and see how that goes. If you are not working with weights this should help.

You made mention you like to get heavier without looking it or feeling it. Unfortunately by getting heavier you will be a little big bigger, especially if you work with heavier weights. BUT the good thing is that you won't really feel it.

I should try to explain this. Before I seriously worked out I thought how good it would feel being bigger. To be honest I don't feel bigger. After a workout I do but once that subsides I feel normal. I always thought I'd feel huge but I don't. I believe this is because your body adapts to the changes and it then just becomes the norm. However when going out for the evening and if I put on a tight T-Shirt mentally I feel huge ... especially if my wife or others make mention of it (massaging the ego).

If you are happy how you look then don't worry about the weight gain and count yourself lucky.

Re: safe weight gain???? - 02/25/06 05:09 PM

thanks, my weight training is really on and off. Especially during the cold seasons I am a lot more lazy than I should be. I have always been around this weight and even though I wish I was more like 190 or something I it really doesn't make much of a difference to me, because I will be content to be how I am, or atleast try to be.

I really don't want to get into a lot of hardcore weight training until I am like fully matured and what not. I am more worried about staying flexible and have a strong core muscles and stuff. Especially since my family has a history of back problems.

I suppose my main influence that makes me want to gain weight is the fact that I am tall and there are smaller guys and some taller guys that all weigh more than me.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: safe weight gain???? - 02/25/06 07:58 PM

man you feel small... Im 6'0 and like 125 lbs but I might be 140 it depends on whos scale is right my cousins or doctors ...I'm only 15 I suppose so I probably still have to fill out. With luck I'm done growing taller.

Re: safe weight gain???? - 02/25/06 10:30 PM

wow that sucks, just kidding. Ya is that doctor stuff even credible, where they have like a chart that shows height and weight and that's where you should be at. I think that it's crap.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: safe weight gain???? - 02/26/06 02:23 PM

Quote:

I really don't want to get into a lot of hardcore weight training until I am like fully matured and what not. I am more worried about staying flexible and have a strong core muscles and stuff. Especially since my family has a history of back problems.

If your family has back problems I can't think of anything better to do then start working on strengthening it. This will last you a life time ... if you use good form.

Quote:

I suppose my main influence that makes me want to gain weight is the fact that I am tall and there are smaller guys and some taller guys that all weigh more than me.

Sorry dude, 5'8.25" and 197 lbs. At one time I was 207 before I joined martial arts; this isn't fat weight either. A slight bit on my lower back that I don't like but top 4 abs pretty defined as well as obliques. Mind you this seems to change from time to time depending on the time of the day, how much I've eaten, etc.