Oral Ulcers

Posted by: Benjamin

Oral Ulcers - 02/22/06 04:07 AM

I will keep it simple and short. I have a tendency to grow oral ulcers. This poses a problem in martial arts since hits on the jaws are inevitable. What kind of nutrients do I need to stop them from recurring?
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Oral Ulcers - 02/22/06 05:53 AM

I am sure that extra oral hygiene will improve the situation. You can get very very strong mouth washes (not available at supermarkets, but at pharmacies) that should do you some good. A quick heal for the mouth ulcer is gel called Bonjella in the UK, I dont know if you can get this is something similar, its great!
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Oral Ulcers - 02/22/06 07:21 AM

Sometimes mouth ulcers are a sign of stress.

Gargle with antibacterial mouthwash (corsodyl is a strong medicinal one which dentists sometimes sell) and try to identify what may be causing you stress and attempt to tackle it!
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: Oral Ulcers - 02/24/06 08:21 PM

Thanks for all the help man.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Oral Ulcers - 02/25/06 02:33 AM

I am assuming that oral ulcers are like canker sores in the mouth. I get these time to time when I have bitten inside my cheeks or inner lip. I also get these time to time on my gums. Both are painful to say the least especially when I have had some in the back of my throat. The mouthwash is a good tip. An even bigger tip is immediately toss out your toothbrush and get a new one. You can also get oral medication to alleviate the pain and aid in the healing. One other thing that has proven to be effective, as well for cold sores, it tannin. Tannin can be found in tea and by placing a moist tea packet against the sore repeatedly, this has been proven to aid in the healing of these.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Oral Ulcers - 02/27/06 02:59 AM

Good advice!

You can also try gargling with warm salt water...good for healing the skin!
Posted by: flgator

Re: Oral Ulcers - 03/02/06 10:15 AM

Try a zinc suppliment. I've had patients who have been off and on valtrex for years who started taking zinc and the ulcers cleared right up.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Oral Ulcers - 03/02/06 12:04 PM

You might also be alergic to your toothpaste. Try a different brand. That was my problem anyway.

Laura
Posted by: tuxette

Re: Oral Ulcers - 03/03/06 03:07 AM

I was going to say the same thing. There's an ingredient in toothpaste called sodium lauroyl sarcosinate that is known to promote oral ulcers/canker sores. Try getting a toothpaste that does not have this ingredient.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Oral Ulcers - 03/04/06 02:53 PM

I have S.L.E. and I get oral ulcers. There is a prescription oral steroid gel kenalog or oral base, that you can get. Ask your doctor for it. It helps heal them.