how much water

Posted by: dream

how much water - 02/21/06 08:46 PM

I know i hear it all the time but i cant remember how much water should an athelet drink every day
Posted by: Borrek

Re: how much water - 02/21/06 09:16 PM

Quote:

I know i hear it all the time but i cant remember how much water should an athelet drink every day

I hear all kinds of numbers, but on average you should have around a half ounce of H2O for every pound of body weight. Much more, and you are likely to start depleting your electrolytes. Electrolytes are your brain signal carrier chemicals, so if you want to think straight be careful.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: how much water - 02/22/06 12:00 AM

WATER:

For the average adult 50% of their body is water weight (11 US Gallons or 42 Litres). An average adult can lose about 3 quarts (approx. 3 Litres) each day through perspiration. Now introduce weight lifting that produces heavy sweating and you will start to realize how important water is to a weight lifter and the need to replenish it … or any other person that does a physical activity. Just as a note, evaporation of sweat on the skin is the body’s cooling mechanism. You don’t cool down you overheat … and if you compare this to a vehicle that overheats then you get the idea … you breakdown and go no where.

Now when taking water it is best to take it gradually in small portions. I myself carry an insolated water bottle (32 ounces or 1 Litre) around all day at work and sip it. I will usually drink 1 to 2 of these a day plus what ever other amounts I take while working out, after working out or while training martial arts. Your body will need to adjust to the excess water you will be taking in so prepare in the beginning to go to the washroom more then usual but it will subside and you will be the better for it. Now how much water is recommended? It is suggested to drink at least 1 Gallon (3.79 Litres) per day if you’re working out hard and/or if the day is hot.

Other benefits of water are that it helps to clean the system out. Water can help with skin problems. Water can fill hunger pains that are really your body telling you that it is thirsty … you know the ones late at night when you think you need a snack and you know you shouldn’t. Water can aid in the loss of fat.

I should also point out that while working out in addition to water your body will loose electrolytes. These are ionized salts in the blood, tissue fluids and cells. If they are depleted along with water during heavy sweating certain metabolic functions, as well as neural signals can be impaired. This is why I would suggest after an intense workout (weight training or martial arts training) that you may wish to look at something like Gatoraid or Poweraid or some other sports drink. This is my opinion only.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: how much water - 02/22/06 12:04 AM

what about gatorade? can it really replenish better than water the way they say it does? my friend had a bad cold recently and he said his doctor recommended more gatorade over OJ..

Posted by: Dereck

Re: how much water - 02/22/06 12:23 AM

Not always but after very strennous exercising or classes I enjoy one. As noted above it helps with replacing lost electrolytes but remember it tastes good because of its sweeteners. I only give from my personal opinion so don't have anything definitively. I find it helps personally for me but maybe not for others. Water of course it the ultimate drink and you can never go wrong. I however would not replace my water throughout the day with one of these sports drinks as I don't need to replenish my electrolytes and I would only be drinking it as soda pop. It has its time and place ... again my opinion.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: how much water - 02/22/06 02:54 AM

The doctor probably recommended it because of the sugar it contains. Your mate may have needed the extra energy whilst he was ill.

I used to buy the lucazade Sport drink (non carbonated) and drink it during my workout. At first I thought it had a beneficial impact on my training but on a few occasions I just didn't get the perk up I usually got. I returned to drinking a litre of water and found the Lucazade had really made no difference and believe it was all in the mind.

I drink about 1.5 litres of water at work, a litre during my workout and about half a litre afterwards. I never used to drink this much water but now I can't believe how much my training sessions have improved and believe this is a result of increasing my water intake.

In short forget your 'sports drinks', drink corporation pop instead!
Posted by: Cord

Re: how much water - 02/22/06 07:18 AM

'isotonic' or electrolyte drinks are only of use to genuine endurance athletes (marathon, triathlon etc), and those with prolongued diahorea (eeew ).

1/3 of the water we need, we get from our food. There was a trend towards pre-empting your thirst mechanism and drinking water 'habitualy'. As with everything, contradictory research eventualy comes along, and this subject is no different, and much new info points towards what 'Sprite' have always said- 'obey your thirst'.

I am always in favour of common sense. Every mammal on earth has the sensation of thirst. We are the only mammal on earth that can do physiological hydration studies, relying on your natural insticts will not do you any harm in relation to ingesting water.