broken hands

Posted by: LiLJb72

broken hands - 02/20/06 01:09 AM

I was in a street fight almost 2 months ago, and broke both hands (bar fights and not keeping tight fists will get you two boxers fractures quickly)...anyways..I had my left hand put into a cast and did not mention my right hand because it seemed to be less damaged and i needed it for work. Now, two months later my left hand is completely healed and has been for awhile, but my right hand remains to be too tender to punch anything (my pinky cannot be pushed too far into my fist or i get a sharp pain)...is there anything i can do at this point? it seems as though it has set in the wrong spot? and a friend who is a doctor said its too late for a cast now....anyone know anything i can do to help?
Posted by: Cord

Re: broken hands - 02/20/06 03:21 AM

Go to your doctor. Not your friend who is a doctor, but your registered doctor. Explain the problem. They will be able to reffer you for x-ray/MRI and subsequently with proper diagnosis, will be able to treat you.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: broken hands - 02/20/06 03:46 AM

WARNING: If they find it too bad they may re-brake it so that they can reset it to heal correcty.

My friend and I were in a motorcycle accident ... well we were together but I was able to accelerate and hit stage left and avoid the vehicle but my friend wasn't and broke both hands. One hand took a lot longer to heal then the other and there was a thought of re-braking the one hand. Later they decided against it but one of his hands does not have the same range of motion as the other. Physiotherapy is a must as well in incidents like this.

Worst case scenario, you have this as a reminder for life that will ache as you get older and the possiblity of arthritis setting in. We've all done stupid things in our lives and may regret it later but maybe this will be a reminder now and in the years to come of what not to do. Not harping on you because I'm as guilt as the next testosterone filled male ... I just use my brain now that I'm older knowing that win or loose it hurts and I have a job and family to support so I have to set my priorities.

I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Re: broken hands - 02/20/06 02:08 PM

Quote:

Go to your doctor. Not your friend who is a doctor, but your registered doctor. Explain the problem. They will be able to reffer you for x-ray/MRI and subsequently with proper diagnosis, will be able to treat you.

I already saw my real doctor, already got it x-rayed and i knew i broke it...that was 2 months and 9 days ago...i told him i couldnt cast it for work purposes and he said to come back and see him later. I moved so i saw my "friend" who is a bone doctor....

Also this was unavoidable - i walked in on a guy date raping a girl and wasnt just going to stand by and watch, so naturally i broke his jaw and nose, best part about that was he couldn't sue me worst part is i still cant get back to my thai training
Posted by: JoelM

Re: broken hands - 02/20/06 10:48 PM

Can't the army help you out?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: broken hands - 02/21/06 01:22 AM

Army?(kin-fu?) If you are in the army all you have to do is go to sick call and tell them your hand is too hurt to usethey'll fix it for you.

Also,I don't think it's a good idea to be bragging at this point.

edit: nevermind,I saw the other thread. Go to sick call dude.

Re: broken hands - 02/21/06 11:24 AM

squad leaders in ranger battalion arent huge on sick call...
Posted by: JoelM

Re: broken hands - 02/21/06 11:26 AM

Ok then, have fun with your broken hand.
Posted by: trevek

Re: broken hands - 02/24/06 03:19 PM

Are squad leaders in ranger battalion huge on having someone watch their back whose hands are so screwed they might not be able to use a weapon properly or punch the next talibani intent on date raping the squad leader?

Get the damn thing sorted.

Re: broken hands - 02/25/06 09:36 AM

lol first of all its a 5th medicarpal (spelling?), aka boxers fracture. If you have ever had one, you know that after 2-3 months is is completely operable. It just hurts sometimes when i punch things hard or without gloves on. I can operate a weapon fine lol, and if it came down to it when i was in iraq and i had no weapon, no kbar, none of my utilities to hit the "talabani" with, then i could use my hand if it was life or death lol...i dont think a broken pinky would hinder me in a battle, your adrenaline is at sky rocketing levels during war.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: broken hands - 02/25/06 12:10 PM

So, you want help,but you don't want to listen?

What do you want us to do for you?

Re: broken hands - 02/25/06 03:46 PM

'Boxers break' is a term used for a break to the scaphoid, not the 5th metacarpal.
After a break of any bone, the soft and connective tissue take longer to heal than the bone itself. It will settle down with time and sensible use.
i respect your service in the forces, but dont bring war stories onto a health and fitness forum, completely irrelevant to your topic.

Re: broken hands - 02/25/06 09:35 PM

BOXER'S FRACTURE
A boxer’s fracture is a broken bone (fracture) in the hand near the knuckle of the fifth finger. This injury usually occurs in professional fighters, but it can occur in non-fighters when punching a hard object like a cement wall. With appropriate treatment and normal alignment of the bones, healing can be expected in about 4 to 6 weeks. Occasionally, surgery is necessary to re-align the bones of the hand.

Symptoms
Pain, tenderness, swelling (especially the back of the hand), and later bruising of the hand
Visible deformity if the fracture is complete
Loss of normal prominence of the knuckle at the little finger
Numbness from swelling in the hand, causing pressure on the nerves (uncommon)

Complications
Fracture does not heal (nonunion)
Fracture heals in a bad position, causing twisting of the finger when making a fist. (malunion)

Re: broken hands - 02/26/06 01:12 AM

in order from the wrist: Scaphoid, trapezium, 5th metacarpal. A 'Boxers break' traditionaly is referred to (in Britain at least) as when the impact is transferred (via poor technique ie. punching wrong) into the scaphoid causing it damage. the 3 bones listed are small and close together, and injury to one, will cause referred pain to the others, as well as inflamation of all the connective tissue and musculature, of which there is a huge amount to allow for all the fine motor skills possible in the hand.

My advice stands regardless of what bone is injured. Bones have a fantastic blood supply and heal far quicker than tendon and ligament.

Learn to punch properly for the future, and you will minimise the chance of this happening. One hand can be excused, but both is just careless.
Posted by: trevek

Re: broken hands - 02/26/06 04:28 PM

Cord, in defence of Liljb, his 'war-stories' were in response to my comment about the need to have fit hands to function in battle.

Sorry if this took us off track.

Re: broken hands - 02/27/06 06:17 PM

this whole topic is irrelevent anymore cuz i had my first fight since it happened last night (BJJ not MT) and the hand held up just fine, and its been fine in MT class and stuff...so thanks for the input anyways guys