Diet Log

Posted by: Eric4444

Diet Log - 02/19/06 04:03 PM

I want to try and keep a diet log, so I can get some input on how I'm doing. I have this week off from school, so I have time to make some healthy meals. However, I could use some advice on quick things for breakfast (made an eaten in 10 minutes) and what to bring for lunch at school. (something that can be brought in a paper bag) Oh, and I happen to have access to a refrigerator and microwave in school, so that should give me some more options. Anyways, here I go for today:

Breakfast: 10:00 am

2 Fried Eggs
1 piece of toast with peanut butter
1 banana
2 glasses of orange juice

Lunch: 1pm

1 cold roast beef sandwhich
celery with peanut butter
1 apple
2 glasses of milk

Snack 3pm
1 glass of whey protien
1 cup of low fat yogurt

Supper: 6pm (this is what is planned at least)
Roast Chicken
Garlic Mashed Potatos
Corn
Asparagus
2 or 3 glasses of milk

For a snack after supper, I'm not to sure, maybe another apple, and a cookie or two with a glass of milk.
BTW, all the milk isn't me trying to get a lot of calcium or protein, I just love milk.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Diet Log - 02/19/06 05:09 PM

Quote:

Breakfast: 10:00 am Too late in the day

2 Fried Eggs High fat. Poach, boil or scramble them
1 piece of toast with peanut butter Peanut butter is high in fat
1 banana
2 glasses of orange juice

Lunch: 1pm

1 cold roast beef sandwhich Again, relatively high level of fat in comparison to other protein sources
celery with peanut butter Redundant. smearing it on clery doesnt make PB any healthier. Have a cookie, its more honest
1 apple
2 glasses of milk make sure its not whole milk. 2 glasses is overkill in conjunction with a protein rich sandwich.

Snack 3pm
1 glass of whey protien
1 cup of low fat yogurt not necessary. the shake is enough on its own

Supper: 6pm (this is what is planned at least)
Roast Chicken dont eat the skin
Garlic Mashed Potatos
Corn
Asparagus
2 or 3 glasses of milk overkill with the milk again. one glass with this meal would be more than sufficient.

For a snack after supper, I'm not to sure, maybe another apple, and a cookie or two with a glass of milk.
BTW, all the milk isn't me trying to get a lot of calcium or protein, I just love milk.

Whole milk is full of fat, loving it does not make it a healthy option.

Peanut butter, cookies, fried eggs, red meat and whole milk do not in any way shape or form constitute a healthy diet. Sorry to be such a killjoy, but its the simple truth.

In response to your questions. Breakfast in under 10 minutes. How long does it take to make a bowl of cereal? a nice bowl of 'non-novelty cereal' with low fat milk, a yogurt, and a piece of fruit and/or glass of juice. Ideal. If you are going to stick with eggs- poach, boil or scramble them, dont fry.

Re: Diet Log - 02/19/06 05:33 PM

I drink skim milk, and as I mentioned, the amount I drink only has to do with the fact I like it. I've always drank that much milk, I don't understand what I'm overkilling. I never eat the skin on the chicken. The peanut butter on the celery, that was recommended in a nutrition book. Roast beef sandwhiches were also recommended in the book I bought.
As for eating breakfast too late.....I got up early today.
Well sorry if I don't seem appreciative of the advice, I really am.

Re: Diet Log - 02/19/06 06:22 PM

OK skimmed milk is a good option, but you can overdo it, especialy when taken at the same time as other protein sources. I like milk and eggs as protein, hell, I swear by them, but as with everything, its right timing and quantity that makes the difference.
Peanut butter as a 'healthfood' seems to be an american thing. Simply put,on average, in every 100grams of PB 50grams (half of it) is fat. Granted, its not all saturated, but 10-12% of it is. Thats 12 grams of bad fat in every 100. Thats not good. Reeses PB cups are a confectionary, not a training supplement- theres a reason for that.

Below you will find my interpretation of your days eating. See what you think.

Breakfast:6am - 8am
3-4 poached/scrambled eggs
2 pieces of wholewheat toast
1 piece of fruit/glass of juice.

Mid morning break:
1-2 glasses of milk

Lunch:
tuna or chicken salad sandwich
handfull of dried fruit and unroasted nuts (trail mix)
piece of fruit

Mid afternoon:
Protein shake or 2 glasses of milk

Dinner:
What you described is fine, but no milk.

Snack: no later than 8pm
1 glass of milk, small handfull of trail mix.

there you go, you still got all your milk, its just spaced out in such a way as to allow you to absorb the nutrients more efficiently. I never criticise for the sake of it, it always comes from a wish to help. Hope I have at least given you some ideas.

Re: Diet Log - 02/19/06 06:43 PM

That is a very big help, thank you. I will try to remember what you said.

Re: Diet Log - 02/19/06 06:54 PM

Pleasure . See you here for day 2.

Re: Diet Log - 02/20/06 04:14 PM

Breakfast: 9am

1 bowl of raisin bran cereal, with sliced banana in it
1 apple
1 glass of orage juice

Lunch: 12:30

Boiled some pieces of chicken, tossed on a little Buffalo sauce for some flavor, and put it on some wheat bread, i had some raw carrots with it and a glass of milk

Snack: 3pm

1 glass of whey protein and an orange

Dinner: 6pm

I'm eating with my grandparents, so I don't pick, however it doesnt seem bad.
Porkchops
Green beans
corn
Mashed Potatos
and my usual glass of milk

Snack: 8pm

Probably gonna have some yogurt.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Diet Log - 02/20/06 04:38 PM

What time do you go to school???

whoops didnt see you had the week off
Meals look good.
I too love milk

Re: Diet Log - 02/20/06 04:40 PM

It's winter break.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Diet Log - 02/21/06 02:50 AM

What form of exercise/activity do you do during the week? Your healthy eating lifestyle (I hate using the word 'diet') needs to work in conjunction with the activities you undertake to ensure your body gets enough fuel and the right kinds of food.

Plus what's your daily intake of water?

Re: Diet Log - 02/21/06 03:56 AM

Looks much better than when you were shoveling peanut butter and fried eggs down your throat
Still a late start to the day eh? An earlier start will help boost your metabolism.
Whilst I agree that to improve your fitness/appearance training is essential, a simple move to healthy eating on its own is a huge step towards ensuring your best chance at good health and a long life. This should be considered a little more important than a 6 pack

Keep up the good work.