Is it muscle wastage?

Posted by: dairic

Is it muscle wastage? - 02/04/06 03:44 AM

Two weeks ago i came of the herbalife programme, I lost just over a stone (14LB). I then decided a fortnight ago i would eat healthy, all fresh food. Since doing that i feel excellent in myself but i am putting weight on. I have a hard manual job so i was wondering was it muscle i was losing before, as now my body is having nutrients etc, could the muscles be getting back to normal. I don't train much now as i don't have much time, cardio once or twice a week.
If any one has any idea's i'd be greatful.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Is it muscle wastage? - 02/04/06 05:00 AM

This is impossible for anyone here to answer I am afraid. The only one who can guage it is yourself. Do you feel that the weight you lost came from your stored body fat (did you have to tighten up your belt a notch or two?) or did you feel weak and notice little difference in the areas you wished to see results?
Now that the weight is going back on, do you look fatter? are your clothes fitting tighter again? Have you decreased levels of definition in your physique?

its pretty easy to check all this, everyone can tell when they have put on a few pounds of fat at christmas through over indulgence, and this is no different.

This scenario demonstrates perfectly why I dont believe in 'going on' and 'coming off' diets.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Is it muscle wastage? - 02/04/06 07:08 PM

how long were you on the herballife program and what was inolved?

your body will burn fat before muscle, were you at a very low body fat percentage?

Re: Is it muscle wastage? - 02/05/06 03:57 AM

cord, i did lose fat as my jeans are a lot slacker, belt does up further, but i was feeling a little weaker (maybe due to lack of calories)

borrek, the programme involved having a shake for breakfast and one for lunch, then a meal at night. I was not at a low bodyfat percentage. The shakes when mixed with semi skimmed milk are about 220 calories each.

Whatever happens with my weight i have decided that this change of fresh foods with almost no processed food is for good, as in the long run it must be beneficial to my health.
I just hope i can shift more fat from where i am holding it.
cheers.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Is it muscle wastage? - 02/05/06 10:53 AM

440 cals from shakes plus one meal per day, means that you were probably struggling to make 1200 cals per day. This will undoubtedly have caused some muscle wastage along with the fat loss- No wonder you felt weak!

Your decision to rely on unprocessed natural food off the back of this experience is great however.
Just make sure you have sensible portions- no more starvation rations

Re: Is it muscle wastage? - 02/05/06 04:04 PM

no more rations. Healthy and sensible, I try to eat every three hours.
Thanks for the advice.