My diet...

Posted by: Ethanael

My diet... - 01/07/06 11:14 AM

It's not exactly a formal diet, but it goes something like this:

-I only drink whole (cow or goat) milk, water, or organic juices with meals; I have only had about 2 ounces of cokes or whatever in my entire life. (This was my choice.)
-I eat yogurt, fish, and mixed nuts regularly. Not all together, I mean.
-I work out every day, except for Saturday, focussing on the abs (intensely) and legs (also pretty intensely), though definitely not forsaking the arms.

Do you think that my diet is alright? I feel pretty good the majority of the time, and it seems to be helping me lose fat and put on a little lean muscle.
I find this very interesting, seeing as how the nuts and milk I eat and drink are full of fats...

Any idea how this works?

Any suggestions as to what I should eat for lean muscle and explosive power?
I don't really like protein drinks. And, for me, they aren't really neccessary. I eat a lot of fish and lean meats.

Thanks.

-Ethan
Posted by: Cord

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 12:52 PM

Well, its a very broad overview, but as such it seems fine. You ask about protein rich foods that will help your training- your high fish intake will take care of that, and dairy produce has a high level of protein also. Lean red meat and poultry are also good sources of protein.

I would suggest switching to half/low/non fat milk, and ensure that the nuts you eat are raw not roasted to ensure you get 'good' fat and not saturated fat from them.

You do not mention fruit and veg, apart from as juice with a meal. You should take in fresh vegetables every day- important for vitamins, minerals and fibre.

If you feel well, you are not putting on bodyfat, but maintaining lean tissue, then the indicators are good that you are supplying the body with what it needs.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 01:10 PM

I've been reading and messing around with this stuff a long time and I still feel this way; everything they taught us in elementary school about vegetables, meats, milk and all that balanced diet stuff is all you need to know. Eat a well rounded diet of wholesome foods, go easy on the junk, alcohol, fast and fried foods, etc.

If you exercise regularly and eat wholesomely and moderately, you will be fine. Avoid excess.

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 01:51 PM

Quote:

I've been reading and messing around with this stuff a long time and I still feel this way; everything they taught us in elementary school about vegetables, meats, milk and all that balanced diet stuff is all you need to know. Eat a well rounded diet of wholesome foods, go easy on the junk, alcohol, fast and fried foods, etc.

If you exercise regularly and eat wholesomely and moderately, you will be fine. Avoid excess.

Beautiful *sniff* Music to my ears

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 02:15 PM

Thanks. I guess?

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 03:06 PM

it was certainly intended as a compliment/affirmation of your post. Common sense and moderation are by far the best weapons in the battle for a balanced healthy diet.

Re: My diet... - 01/07/06 03:25 PM

Quote:

Well, its a very broad overview, but as such it seems fine. You ask about protein rich foods that will help your training- your high fish intake will take care of that, and dairy produce has a high level of protein also. Lean red meat and poultry are also good sources of protein.

I would suggest switching to half/low/non fat milk, and ensure that the nuts you eat are raw not roasted to ensure you get 'good' fat and not saturated fat from them.

You do not mention fruit and veg, apart from as juice with a meal. You should take in fresh vegetables every day- important for vitamins, minerals and fibre.

The nuts I eat aren't roasted. And fruits and vegies are part of most meals. The only problem is that I'm only fourteen, and my parents mostly determine what I eat for dinner. I make my own lunch for school, and I generally cook breakfast.

For breakfast, I usually make eggs and bacon.
For lunch, generally a bottle of water with half a peanutbutter sandwich. Sometimes I bring low fat, low sugar yogurt with me, also.
Since both of my parents work, we generally eat out for dinner, though I'm learning how to cook, and can already cook a few Italian dishes. (Though, they'd get really old after a little while.)

Any suggestions for things I can make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Thanks.
-Ethan

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 03:10 AM

Now I am confused. Your first post indicated a reliance on fish, dairy, nuts, fruit/veg via juice, and other such natural wholesome food. Now you are saying that your staple daily foos intake is bacon and eggs and half a peanut butter sandwich?!

Are the things listed in your first post relating to the evening meal as prepared by your parents? If so, I would put them in charge of your breakfast and lunch also, as half a PB sandwich is no where near appropriate for a growing young man.
Its only natural at your age to wish to start grabbing bits of control here and there, nothing wrong with that providing it is not at the expense of your wellbeing. What you are giving yourself for breakfast and lunch is not good.

As a rough guideline try the following.

Breakfast.
1 bowl of cereal or 3 scrambled eggs on dry wholemeal toast, 1 yogurt and one piece of fruit or large glass of juice.

Lunch.
Couple of sandwiches containing a lean meat (chicken, tuna, ham, turkey,beef etc) and salad. 2 pieces of fruit.

Dinner.
Whatever your mum puts in front of you, and a good size portion of it as well. Fruit for afters.

At 14 you absolutely cannot afford to be depriving your body of nutrients and energy in any way.

Eat hearty portions of natural, unprocessed food, keep active- participate in your school sports curriculum, Martial arts, basic good technique moderate weight lifting, and your body will develop into that of a fit and healthy young adult. At 14 you are only just beginning that journey, though in your head you are already there.

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 03:24 AM

Eat more for lunch!

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 12:33 PM

Quote:

Now I am confused. Your first post indicated a reliance on fish, dairy, nuts, fruit/veg via juice, and other such natural wholesome food. Now you are saying that your staple daily foos intake is bacon and eggs and half a peanut butter sandwich?!

Those things from my first post are the things I try to eat when I can, which fluctuates from week to week, though I can usually get them. Usually I have to cook them myself, or order them when we eat out, or ask a parent to buy them.
The bacon and eggs are just kinda whenever I feel like making 'em. And I just eat the peanutbutter sandwich with water and the occasional yogurt for lunch because the lunch period we get at school is too short to eat an actual meal. I tend to eat a good snack when I get home.

Quote:

If so, I would put them in charge of your breakfast and lunch also,
Its only natural at your age to wish to start grabbing bits of control here and there, nothing wrong with that providing it is not at the expense of your wellbeing. What you are giving yourself for breakfast and lunch is not good.

I can't exactly "put them in charge" of my breakfast and lunch. The most they can cook is dinner, and that's rare. Generally we just eat out at different places to "try something different".

They're busy; my dad has to go into work fairly early in the morning, and my mom spends the majority of her time either:
a) locked up in her room talking to her friends about how horrible her life is.
b) putting on make-up, showering, sleeping, etc.,
OR
c) complaining about everything.

There's really nothing I can do about it but try to eat better unto myself.

Any suggestions for easy recipes I can do at home, preferably inexpensive ones?

I'm a little concerned about my wellbeing, but I try to get appropriate calories every day, and take vitamin supplements when I don't get enough vitamins from food.

Thanks,
Ethan

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 02:34 PM

Well, its not my place to comment on your home situation, but follow my suggestions for breakfast and lunch. If you can cook bacon and eggs, making a bowl of cereal and a couple of sandwiches should be easy for you.
How long is lunch break? When I worked as an instructor I seldom got more than 15 minutes for refreshments, but that is plenty of time to eat a couple of nutritious sandwiches and an apple- no excuses.

Evening meals- if you are eating out a lot, most restaurants will be able to rustle up a steak, baked potatoe and veg/salad. Aim for that, or anything without cream sauces/dressings.

If eating at home, cook up some rice or pasta,add 1-2 skinless chicken breasts or 1-2 tins of tuna, some lightly cooked veg of choice, and a touch of balsamic vinegar and pepper to give it a bit of 'zing'. Easy to do, if you buy pre cooked chicken breasts or use tuna it takes about less than 15 minutes to prepare.

If your personal circumstances are as haphazard as you say, then a one a day multi vit and mineral tablet probably isnt a bad idea.

Good luck.

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 04:10 PM

It sound's like you are a very responsible young man. The fact that you even think about sound nutrition and take responsibility for your own well being tells me you have a lot going for you. It sounds like your mom and dad are very wrapped up in their own lives which seems to happen a lot these days. Your mom could use some books or CD's on thinking more positively. I do this myself, just to help me from staying negative or thinking negative. Joel Olsten has written a book called, "Your Best Life Now" it might be a gift your mom could benefit from if she would read it. The fact that you research and think about your health and well being gives me confidence that you are adjusting well to your life and taking care of yourself as well. You might ask your dad if he would like to get out and throw the football or take a walk or something, reach out to him since it seems he caught up in a whirlwind.

Re: My diet... - 01/08/06 07:35 PM

Quote:

It sound's like you are a very responsible young man. The fact that you even think about sound nutrition and take responsibility for your own well being tells me you have a lot going for you. It sounds like your mom and dad are very wrapped up in their own lives which seems to happen a lot these days. Your mom could use some books or CD's on thinking more positively. I do this myself, just to help me from staying negative or thinking negative. Joel Olsten has written a book called, "Your Best Life Now" it might be a gift your mom could benefit from if she would read it. The fact that you research and think about your health and well being gives me confidence that you are adjusting well to your life and taking care of yourself as well. You might ask your dad if he would like to get out and throw the football or take a walk or something, reach out to him since it seems he caught up in a whirlwind.

: )
We (being my dad and I) have tried to get my mother to seek counselling or psychiatric evaluation, but, alas...she refuses.
I don't have a problem with my dad, though. He's pretty cool. He has a tough job, and he is, quite understandably, exhausted when he gets home. He does support my martial arts training in a big way, though. : )

Quote:

Well, its not my place to comment on your home situation, but follow my suggestions for breakfast and lunch. If you can cook bacon and eggs, making a bowl of cereal and a couple of sandwiches should be easy for you.
How long is lunch break? When I worked as an instructor I seldom got more than 15 minutes for refreshments, but that is plenty of time to eat a couple of nutritious sandwiches and an apple- no excuses.

Evening meals- if you are eating out a lot, most restaurants will be able to rustle up a steak, baked potatoe and veg/salad. Aim for that, or anything without cream sauces/dressings.

If eating at home, cook up some rice or pasta,add 1-2 skinless chicken breasts or 1-2 tins of tuna, some lightly cooked veg of choice, and a touch of balsamic vinegar and pepper to give it a bit of 'zing'. Easy to do, if you buy pre cooked chicken breasts or use tuna it takes about less than 15 minutes to prepare.

If your personal circumstances are as haphazard as you say, then a one a day multi vit and mineral tablet probably isnt a bad idea.

Good luck.

That sounds good, thanks. : )
And if you're referring to One-a-Day, the brand name, I use Centrum.
Though, I try to eat more lamb and turkey than I do beef, as lamb and turkey have been proven to reduce cancerous reactions to carcinogens. : )
Posted by: Chanters

Re: My diet... - 01/09/06 08:56 AM

Quote:

For breakfast, I usually make eggs and bacon.

I'd recommend you only consume that once a week if that, assuming the egg is fried and eaten with the yolk.

I make my own museli which is like rocket fuel and really sets me up for the day. It consists of the following eaten with semi skimmed milk:

Porridge oats
Dried Apricots
Prunes
Sultanas
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Hazelnuts
Almonds
Walnuts
Dried cranberries
Dried blueberries

I sometimes include a blob of low fat natural yoghurt and a splash of fresh apple juice. It's delicious and nutritious!

You have to be careful with foods labelled as 'low-fat' as sometimes sugar is added to make up for the lack of fat and taste!

Re: My diet... - 01/10/06 08:20 PM

The eggs are scrambled; yes, they have the yolk.

And what you mentioned sounds really good...I should try it sometime.

: )

Thanks.
-Ethan