bigos: friend or foe?

Posted by: trevek

bigos: friend or foe? - 01/02/06 07:23 AM

Hi, any of you dietary minded folk out there have any ideas about this?

I'm hellishly fond of a Polish dish called bigos. Basic recipe is equal halves sauerkraut and fresh cabbage, some smoked plums, bay-leaves and some lumps of meat and sausage (pork, beef or lamb... or anything which isn't fast enough) (maybe tomato puree too). Boil it to death over a couple of days.

I imagine the boiling kills a bit of the nutritional element.

Usually eat it with potatoes (of course!).
Any thoughts?
Part of the trick is the juices of the meat
Posted by: Cord

Re: bigos: friend or foe? - 01/02/06 07:43 AM

Quote:

Part of the trick is the juices of the meat

Usually such slow cook dishes need fatty meat for the stock to be rich and stop the meat being dry/chewy.

Animal fats are saturated so the stock will not be great for you. If it can be made with lean cuts of red meat great, if it can be made with skinless poultry even better.

Also, avoid high levels of salt- stews often have tons of salt. Find alternative seasonings to keep your BP from rising if you make it part of your staple diet.

Re: bigos: friend or foe? - 01/03/06 03:00 AM

Thanks Cord, the Poles like their salt!
Posted by: Cord

Re: bigos: friend or foe? - 01/03/06 07:29 AM

If I am honest, so do I, its just I dont have it
A good alternative is to make things spicy/hot. I add a small amount of habanero tabasco and or piri piri to almost every dish I eat, just to liven it up and bring out the flavour without hitting my blood pressure. Give it a try.

Re: bigos: friend or foe? - 01/08/06 04:31 PM

Good idea, thanks.

Maybe try the bigos, yourself. It's pretty damn good (plenty of recipes on the net).