I love bread

Posted by: bo-ken

I love bread - 12/13/05 12:54 PM

See I have a problem I eat a lot of carbohydrates. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I eat a lot of white bread. I like all kinds of bread but I like white the best. Why is white bread bad for you? Also, I still think its better then eating junk food. I am trying to eat healthier and I think this is a good place to start. I couldn’t live without carbs so somebody help me out with this.
Posted by: White_Fox

Re: I love bread - 12/13/05 02:50 PM

The problem with white flour is it is very highly processed and is not a complete food. Whole-grains have stuff like the endosperm, germ, bran etc all working together to help your body in some way, and also aid in the digestion. White flour is just a simple carbohydrate isolate from the whole load. As a result your body cannot digest it very easily and has to work harder to process it. Plus there is next to nill in the nutrition margin for white flour. Also it spikes your blood sugar giving you an insulin boost. So you shoot up then crash down and get all spaced out. "2 hrs after pasta scenario". Or pancake breakfast.

That said you can get bread made with spelt flour, kamut flour, brown rice flour or many more at lots of health food stores.

These flours are more nutritious because they have not been over farmed the way wheat has. 40 bushels of wheat now is nutritionally equivalent to 1 bushel of wheat 50 yrs ago!! All do to massive over farming. Bummer!

I love bread too!
Posted by: trevek

Re: I love bread - 12/14/05 07:48 AM

So basically it's like eating sugar without the tooth rot?
Posted by: Subedei

Re: I love bread - 12/16/05 05:02 PM

The alloxan used to process white flour has also been known to increase diabetes risk.

White flour is definitally very bad for you, I can point you to dozens of studies that reach this conclusion. You've just got to decide what's more important to you, your health or the taste of white bread?
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: I love bread - 12/21/05 03:05 AM

Quote:

See I have a problem I eat a lot of carbohydrates. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I eat a lot of white bread. I like all kinds of bread but I like white the best. Why is white bread bad for you? Also, I still think its better then eating junk food. I am trying to eat healthier and I think this is a good place to start. I couldn’t live without carbs so somebody help me out with this.

I'd stay well enough away from white bread. Processed white flour acts the same way as white sugar. It leaches goods out of your body to digest it. You lose more than you get from white bread.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: I love bread - 12/28/05 10:20 AM

Yes, I would only eat white bread in moderation. I personally prefer whole grain breads like oatmeal bread, whole wheat, or the 12 grain, and flax and grains bread. It also has essential omega 3 fats that you need and is lower on the glycemic index